FLYERS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

luvahunter

FLYERS

Post by luvahunter »

I'm a ground hunter, love to still hunt, use ambush tactics, stealth drives & take deer like turkeys ... with your back to a tree and a new view every sit.

Lately having a problem with flyers ie. where the heck did that arrow go? Have a suspicion it's the carrying of the bow, does the string slip? 9 of 10 shots go in the bull when I get home, one goes awol. Anyone had similar experience.

Missed a 2yr buck on opening day , broadside less than 10 yds, my 8 yr old daughter was watching the stalk & everything, very embarrassing (she forgives me now). Got a couple but missed another, same thing. Last year it happened twice too, I shrugged it off then, buck fever or something, but now I think somethings actually wrong. Arrows are checked regularly, don't think its the placement on the rail, all good carbons etc. Too close a shot for aim errors. Any help?
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

It might be helpful if you described your equipment set up. How you pull the string back, what kind of nocks etc...

Long
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

My first suggestion is to number your arrows to see if it is the same arrow that is a flyer. Beyond that more info as LongWinters suggested will help.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:My first suggestion is to number your arrows
Indeed. Standard advice! :D
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would suspect the arrows as being the likely cause. When I shot carbons I would find the occasional one that just wouldn't group with the rest.

That being said, I would also check the scope & mounts. In the past few years I have had way too many scope failures. Went through three TenPoint ProView (bought the first before Excal introduced the LumiZone) scopes before I gave up and went with a VariZone. Then I had accuracy problems this year (sight in then POI would suddenly change, sometimes after a few shots but sometimes it would hold for a week or two). I finally found the front "lock ring" that secures the objective lens tube was loose. Tightened it and the scope has held zero for a few weeks now. :roll:
wabi
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

pittsburgh penguins>flyers.... :wink:
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have a couple of suggestions for you to check out. First is to mark your string at the EDGE OF THE RAIL (both sides) with either whiteout or thread a small piece of string into your string. This is to give you the chance to quickly check if your string has been bumped off center. The only way your string can "slip" is if it gets bumped. IF you bump or bang one limb when walking, this can happen. With these marks, a quick glance will tell you if your still centered with your string.

Another possible problem with a flier or two is that the arrow is not setting against the string when it is fired. Arrows can slip or slide forward if the bow is carried in the pointed down (the safe position) position. IF this is the cause, your arrow retainer just needs to be tightened up a little (bent down) or just check every once in a while to make sure the srrow is still seated against the string (this is what I do).

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

duplicate deleted
Last edited by Cossack on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Make sure all screws are tight, esp those holding scope and stock (& trigger) to bow. I'm bgetting best results with high FOC arrows...like 18-20% and low profile (short) broadheads like Slick Tricks. Check if the vanes are tight on the flyer, had one doing that when it's vane had a loose end.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Always ck the BH to arrow fer wobble as the insert maybe not true & will let arrow fly off in direction of the insert cant!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

If it is a mechanical head that you are using, it could be deploying before it reaches its target. Use two elastics instead of one.