Where do You Shoot in The Off-Season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NSIan

Where do You Shoot in The Off-Season?

Post by NSIan »

We had a quick meeting this afternoon with an archery club, found out most archery clubs in NS will not allow crossbows as they are not registered as rifle ranges.
It seems crossbows are not considered archery tackle here in Nova Scotia. Kinda caught me off guard!

Is this a similar issue in other jurisdictions? Is it just a matter of changing the defenition of a bow?
I know the OAA allows crossbows.
The ATA recognizes crossbows as archery equipment.
Anyone have insight or experience with the inclusion of crossbows at local ranges?

We overlooked (thought is was dealt with) the issue and were hoping to start organizing a few crossbow shoots around the province.
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
bull_dogg

Post by bull_dogg »

The local archery club Durham archers you can shoot crossbows. Very nice place to shoot.
TPM

Post by TPM »

"Registered ranges" are controlled under Federal law and nowhere does it say you have to be a Federally approved range to use crossbows. If crossbows are not allowed at local archery ranges it's either because someone is severely misinformed regarding the law or it's another attempt by vertical purists to keep crossbows off their ranges.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I shoot here on my farm ... or in my shop.

I'm so glad I don't have to put up with the nonsense some of you do, and I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

I hope it works out better for you soon.
Grizz
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

TPM wrote:"Registered ranges" are controlled under Federal law and nowhere does it say you have to be a Federally approved range to use crossbows. If crossbows are not allowed at local archery ranges it's either because someone is severely misinformed regarding the law or it's another attempt by vertical purists to keep crossbows off their ranges.
TPM is probably right.

The Candian Firearms Centre the Office of the Chief firearms Officer here in Ontario do not give a hoot about bows, whether they be crossbows or verticle bows. When the CFO's office inspects our range, they are only interested in our trap & skeet facilities.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

You are right ninepointer, no one gives a hoot about crossbows, federally.

Our Provincial Chief Firearms Office has the same stance.

I think I was duped!
Geesh, the nerve!!
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I only know of one archery range (a long ways from us) in MI where you can shoot a crossbow and they just started late in the summer. Not sure if others will come around or not.

I just shoot at home.
Keep smiling!
Dennis