What Do John and Jane Non-Hunter Really Think?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

What Do John and Jane Non-Hunter Really Think?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

In another thread, Mike P suggested that it is wise for all of us to consider how the image we present to the non-hunting public could affect our future as hunters, because of the political weight they can wield when voting.

I have no doubt that more of us understand and appreciate the validity and implications of this viewpoint than he and Earl Pitts think. :lol: :P

Certainly there is wisdom in not needlessly offending the non-hunting public with our actions or accounts. I believe most every one of us would agree with that.

But what is it that really offends the non-hunting public?

I think that's a good question for consideration, and I think it will be something interesting for us to talk about. I also think that what really offends some of the non-hunting public may not be what some of us think!

For instance, I've discovered something interesting in my own interactions with people who don't hunt:

I meet lots of new people through my career and in my travels. I get to visit with them and eat with them and stay in their homes, and in getting to know them better, I usually reveal that I am a hunter. I often have conversations with them about hunting. In these discussions, the most frequent comment that I hear from non-hunting people about my hunting is this: "Well, if you're doing it for meat, then that's OK."

In my discussions, I haven't found non-hunters to be troubled with the fact that game is killed, recovered, processed and consumed.

I have found a great deal of resentment and resistance toward the idea that hunting is enjoyed as a sport, or done merely for pleasure, or simply to bag a trophy.

So ... in my experience, John and Jane Non-Hunter tend to think it's OK to hunt to fill the freezer, but that it's not so cool to hunt just because you like to, or because you're after a "big one". I also find that they tend to dislike hunting as they see it portrayed on TV.

What have you found in your discussions?

We should have some interesting interaction, because much depends on the region you're from. For instance, "anti-hunters" are very rare here where I live. I don't even know one! Some don't hunt and won't hunt, but hardly anyone is entirely against it.

What are non-hunters like in your "neck of the woods"? What do they think? What do they say? How do they react to you?

Let's talk about it ... and remember to "play nice"! :D :wink:
Grizz
Sopchoppy

Non hunters

Post by Sopchoppy »

Most non-hunters I've encountered use the "inhumane" word to describe killing animals for sport or table fare. In a nice way, I ask them have they ever been to or seen a slaughter house for livestock. None of them ever have nor have they given thought to what has to happen for them to have a Big Mac or Whopper or Sausage Biscuit. Somehow, they feel it's different to slaughter 100's or 1000's at a time vs. killing one deer at a time. Wonder why they call them "slaughter" houses??
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
wabi

Post by wabi »

Most of the NON-hunters I've discussed hunting with don't really have a problem with the fact I'm a hunter and like to eat game meat.
They may not understand the passion I have for hunting, but they are tolerant. :lol:
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I think its the actions of a very small group that tend to wreck it for everyone. Stories of poachers taking deer and turkey in protected areas have been in the news in our area lately. Non hunters take this information and slowly, graduly begin to think that hunting as a whole is unmoral. I have found people who are horrified that I can kill a cute deer, and others who realize the population needs to be controled, but they dont want to be the one controlling it. Opinions vary I find when it come to people responding to my confession that I hunt, but the bad publicity of the unethical "hunters" is what kills it for us eventually.

Whenever I confess I hunt to someone, I always tell of the times when I witness nature at its finest. The time an owl came and perched 10 feet away from me, or the fisher(sp?) that I saw. The beautiful sunrises and sunsets. The fresh air filling my lungs. I dont often mention killing deer unless asked.

Ive yet to be yelled at by some "peta" person, but odds are its gonna happen sooner or later. :roll:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bbbwb

What the nonhunter really thinks

Post by bbbwb »

I have experienced the same reaction as you Grizz. Most non hunters seem relieved when they learn that the animal is to be used in its entirety. The "trophy" concept is the main perception that they have of hunters. I think that this concept is derived out of the general talk of hunters where discussion often centres around the size of the animal and the antlers etc. Television programs often dwell on this aspect as well and comments about meat is limited.
There are those that are totally against the idea of hunting because it is "killing".These individuals would not do anything to an animal to prevent suffering. They feel that their approach is the most humane. It is impossible to reason with these fanatics.
In the large picture of the non hunting people that I have been in contact with, those in the latter category seem to be in the minority. However they are there and depending on individual personality, may be quite vocal in expressing their anti hunting feelings.
I personally try to explain and demonstrate good hunting ethics showing respect for the game that I take by making it good table fare. My situation is very self explanatory when it is learned that I am the only male in my family of six and we all enjoy "wild game" for our "meat on the table".

Thanks Grizz.

bbbwb
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

Most non-hunters i meet are ok with someone else hunting for the meat...
these are not the ANTI-HUNTERS that think since they don't want to hunt that you and I shouldn't be allowed to ! Big difference in the two!
thanks philip
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

pdislow wrote:Most non-hunters i meet are ok with someone else hunting for the meat... these are not the ANTI-HUNTERS that think since they don't want to hunt that you and I shouldn't be allowed to ! Big difference in the two!
Yes, I agree ... most "anti's" seem to be set in their view and beyond rational discussion.

It's the "non's" who are worthy of some consideration from us. :D
Grizz
gogo

Post by gogo »

We have to give some of the non hunters a break, all they have seen is everything nice about deer. To them bambi and the cute little deer at the local zoo is ingrained in their minds, they have never thought about wild deer. To them when you kill your killing bambi, if they had a true understanding of wild deer Im sure very few would have a problem with hunters. The anti hunters are another story all together, they have their own agendas.
Mike P

Re: What Do John and Jane Non-Hunter Really Think?

Post by Mike P »

Grizzly Adam wrote:In another thread, Mike P suggested that it is wise for all of us to consider how the image we present to the non-hunting public could affect our future as hunters, because of the political weight they can wield when voting.

I have no doubt that more of us understand and appreciate the validity and implications of this viewpoint than he and Earl Pitts think. :lol: :P

Certainly there is wisdom in not needlessly offending the non-hunting public with our actions or accounts. I believe most every one of us would agree with that.
Boy, I hope your right grizz. I have this sneaking suspicion that there are more who disagree then you might think. There seems to be a significant number who do not give a hoot what the non-hunting public thinks. I hope I am wrong.

You raise a bunch of interesting points regarding the perceptions of non-hunters. I am sure your points are based not only on what you find in the Southern area you now reside, but also draw upon your days spent in Indianna.

Where I grew up, the non-hunters were looked at with a jaundice eye. Virtually everyone hunted. Heck, even school shut down for opening day if it fell on a weekday. Here in Southwest Ohio, the people are exactly like the ones near your childhood home just to the west. They have nothing inherent against hunting.

On a side note, I have a picture of John and Jane but I dare not post it. In the words of Bill Clinton and Jimmy Swaggart "I have sinned" and obviously need some counseling grizz.

Got time to slide me in? :oops:
HW

Post by HW »

I had no idea what an anti hunter was until I moved to Ontario. When the topic is brought up at work I am in the minority with only two hunters in an office of fifty plus people.

Growing up in rural Nova Scotia, it was a right of passage and I did not know a single family where there was not at least one hunter.

Meat was always shared throughout the community and it was always a great treat to see the smiles on faces when stories of sucess where told about the days hunt.

One of my greatest memories was when I was able to drop off a couple of roasts from my first deer I harvested when I was 17 to my great grandfather. By that time his hunting days had been in his past for a couple of years but to listen to his stories of huntig always had my brother and I sitting beside him in the livingroom. (Not to mention we wore out several SIR mail order catalogues that he always had on hand)

The anti's will never know the bond that brings generations of hunters and gatherers together.

I love this way of life.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Grizz,

I have had similar conversations with non-hunters and the general vibe is that they beleive we are out there simply for the "kill". Some of my most enjoyable hunts have been the ones when I come home empty handed. 95% of the reason I hunt is to slow down and recharge my soul.

For me there is a great deal of pride in knowing I can provide for my family and not rely on others to put food on my table. I hunt, fish and keep a small veggie garden in the back yard. All are equally rewarding.

I too grew up on a small farm in Nova Scotia and it has been a breath of fresh air to be able to return here for a few months. My neighbors don't hunt but they fully support it because they understand that critters are food. They know that it is also about the bonding and family ties that make it so great.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:"I have sinned" and obviously need some counseling grizz. Got time to slide me in? :oops:
Mike, scripture says "mercy triumphs over judgment".

I try to relate to people accordingly.

If there is a perfect poster on this forum, they should introduce themselves ... I believe we all have our faults. We all need to extend grace toward others, because we are in need of it ourselves.

You have "owned up" to what you did. If you know what you did wasn't good, and are sorry you did it, and have determined to do better, then that's all anyone can ask.

As the Lord once said, "Go, and sin no more."

Well ... try, anyway! :D :wink:
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Grizzly Adam wrote:

But what is it that really offends the non-hunting public?

I think that's a good question for consideration, and I think it will be something interesting for us to talk about. I also think that what really offends some of the non-hunting public may not be what some of us think!
Because of my job I have a huge advantage when it comes to addressing the general public on issues they may have on hunting, or at the very least get some insight on how an average family views hunting and hunters.
I do animal control, I advertise "humane animal control" for part of my business, so 90% of my calls at some point will have my customer saying "so the animals wont get hurt, right?"
At some point before I start my job I will be at their spam table, contract in hand and almost everytime I am welcomed like a family member, if not in the beginning than I know I will be by the time I am done talking. :D We talk about families, kids, their part of town...
I have a lot of knowledge on urban wildlife, and I can make the most stubborn anti see the light in just a few short minutes. Again, I have an advantage, I was invited to their home to discuss animals, and people have a greater comfort at their own home and feel more comfortable to open up.
Many times I will bring up hunting simply for the shock value, and I can see my customers expression change from the friendly "can I get you a coffee" to that look you get if you have to rush in to public in hunting gear to get a forgotten item. Then I bring things back in to perspective for them, explaining the benifits it has to the enviroment, I watch their expression start to change back, then I start explaing how my wife and kids hunt too and soon they have accepted it and will discuss it with a little less tension. I do this everyday, sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. Never, not once in over ten years of doing this have I had an agitated person, at least not for very long.
Again, I was invited for the discussion, I am in an animal control uniform and I have been known to present myself very well when needed.
Sometimes I get lucky and the home already has a hunter in it, so that usually leads to a tour of someone elses guns and gear. Sometimes it is a frail old man who only has hunting memories and stories left, those are my favorite, I will give him all the time he needs to tell his stories. In the end I usually offer to return with game meat if I happen to have some at home. I enjoy watching him forget his problems and re-live something he can no longer do.
Public is the same thing, when I get one of those "you must be a hunter" types in a store and get the old "do you enjoy killing animals" statements, and I seem to attract those types, they expect me to say something dumb, hold my head down and walk away. Instead, I get their attention so they know I am going to actually address their statement, I introduce myself, and see if they really want to engage in that particular conversation. It is almost always the same, I say "I didn't mean to offend you, my name is David, I own one of the largest humaine animal control companies in S/W Ontario, I am also a licenced wildlife rehabilitator, my company is responsable for saving thousands of animals a year, and has been for a very long time, Is there something else that you think I should be doing?" Half the time they walk away humbled, the other half it leads to a good conversation, enlightening for both people, sometime it even results in more business.
So my opinion, there is a difference between an anti and the general public, the public can be won over 100% of the time is handled correctly, anti's can too if you allow them to speak their mind and have the knowledge to offer a different opinion without offending them.
I have a million stories, from PITA bugging me, to turning people around, even if only for a while. It is about ignorance, their simple lack of knowledge allows them to form an opinion on something they know nothing about. A little education is all that is needed to make most of the public understand and accept our sport.
To think that how we present dead animals in a picture is going to make a difference is so far from reality I try to avoid these threads. To a non hunter dead is dead, they see the blood in the pictures we don't. Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

I get the "You shoot bambi?" thing.
I tell them Bambi is a fictional cartoon character
I hunt the whitail deer.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: that look you get if you have to rush in to public in hunting gear to get a forgotten item.
That just goes to show how different regional attitudes toward hunting can be!

I don't know what that "look" is!

No one thinks a thing of seeing someone in camo around here, and no one thinks of a thing of wearing it. I've never seen a reaction against wearing hunting gear in public here. I can hardly imagine living somewhere populated with people who look at you funny because you're dressed for hunting.

Around here, folks do whatever needs to be done wearing hunting clothes, if it needs doing. No thought is given to being "in public" ... I can't imagine worrying about that. Many men here even wear camo-themed casual dress clothes (the type that might have a camo insert stitched in, or that have a patch)!

It's much the same where I grew up in Southeast Indiana. When I was home this fall hunting with my brother, on the day that he killed a nice buck, we had to go into a Kroger store before we went home to get some supplies to cook up the tenderloins. We were both in full camo; we were muddy and disheveled and had obviously been "at it". We didn't have an option to change, and there are no stores near Mom and Dad's ... so we brushed ourselves off, cleaned our boots, washed our hands carefully and went in, knowing no one would think a thing about it. It was Saturday ... the place was chock-full of women and kids. No one gave us a second look. Several, including one obvious mom with a tribe of young'uns, asked whether we'd had any luck!

I think regional perceptions and attitudes about hunting differ drastically. As I stated earlier, I don't even know an "anti-hunter". Even people who don't hunt around here aren't against it. The only thing people gripe about is careless slobs who trespass, shoot off of the road, and abuse landowners ... and in that case, they don't lump those idiots in with hunters in general. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general it can be said that most people are OK with hunting around here ... and they sure don't have a problem with you looking like you do it!
Grizz