Deer tick removal?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crispy

Deer tick removal?

Post by Crispy »

I moved a hangon stand on Sunday to get ready for the upcoming rifle season. While getting dressed for work this morning I found a tick burried in in the back of my right calf, plucked it out with tweezers and forgot about it. As the day went on I noticed it was a little tender, and checked it again when I got home. Its in one of those spots thats hard to get to or see,"not as limber as i used to be" but using a mirror I saw a tiny black dot with about 1/4" red circle. Normaly I would have my wife pull,dig,or cut it out but she is out of town for a few days and I'm on my own. Not sure if the dot is dried blood or the head is still in there. I've heard you can put nail polish on the wound to soffocate them, is there any truth to it or is there another way to get it out? I always check myself in the mirror and shower when I come in from the woods, dont know how I missed him, but it was smaller the a pencil point. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Crispy
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

I would certainly try to get everything out asap. even if you do get it all out it may itch for weeks. Keep a close watch on it. Good luck, they are a fact of life down here. I get a few bites every year despite my best efforts to keep em off and killem.
thanks philip
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

I use some vaseline to cover a buried tick, generally they back right out.
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Do you guys get checked out after finding a tick buried in your skin? Lyme disease kind of freaks me out....
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Rich

Post by Rich »

If you pulled the tick out and the head remained then trying to suffocate it will do not do any good to an embedded tick head. Suggest you seek medical attention if it is getting infected.

Rich
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I would get tested for Lymes disease. Better safe than sorrow.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Thanks for your info. Iam no stranger to ticks, get dozens of them every year. This one is in a hard spot to reach or see. It had to be there for at least 48 hrs. Best I can tell by looking in the mirror is a black dot the size of a pencil point with a red ring around it a little bigger than a pencil erasor. If it shows no sign of healing I will make a Dr. apt. after the first day of rifle(Monday), just thought most of you were in these shoes at least once and might have a way of getting it out. Thanks again, Crispy
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Removing the tick can be done in many was as mentioned above. I would be concerned about Lyme Disease in PA with Deer Ticks. I quit hunting up north because every deer I shot was covered with the buggers and once the animal started to cool they would be bailing off. Where I hunt in SW PA you may find a wood tick once in awhile but not the deer tick. Keep an eye on that spot. I have friend that have got Lyme Diease and it will take a toll on you.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I suggest you check with your physcian. Lyme disease can become very serious if not treated.

Check these links: Warning very graphic

Lyme Disease Photos
Lyme Disease Slide Show
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
huntone

Post by huntone »

Ticks are a REAL PROBLEM in Tennessee. We have had so many cases this year, and two deaths. I took every precaution I knew this year and
still had them on me. When I treated my clothes and started wearing
rubber boots it did cut them way down.

Here's another link.. http://www.anapsid.org/Lyme/removingticks.html
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »