very sick deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peach

Post by Peach »

You hit the nail on the head...I don't think it requires a mercy kill cause she is "ugly" to look at. She is obviously healthy otherwise, or she would not be standing there having her picture taken.

Not all animals are created beautiful and free of disease or disabilities.

I know you can't help but feel bad for her, but if she was suffering, a coyote would have taken care of her quite quickly.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

WHOOOA! Never would suggest that anything with a slight disability should be put down! I happen to be "slightly defective" human wise. :lol: Anyone who knows me REALLY well knows my secrets.

By my post I mean that if I saw that doe with one eye swollen shut, and the other looks like its on its way to being shut, I would take her. If both eyes happen to close, then I think it would be classified as a mercy kill becuse she is in for a painfull end if shes blind and starving.

Sorry if I offended you with my statement flbuckmaster. Never was my intent!!

And peach, I dont would not kill something simply because its ugly :roll:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

We had a spike buck on are trail cam that was covered in the black bulges that you see on her rear 1/4. Seemed to get along and eat alright, but vanished, dont know if it got better or killed. I also have a three legged doe that I promised my mom I would not kill. She has had fawns the last 5yrs., and is pretty much a staple around the farm and gets by yr after yr with no problems.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

one shot...I wasnt offended at all. I was just trying to figure out weather I should shoot her, or let her go. I have a thick skin anyway, so nothing here bothers me anymore. I wrote this thread to get others here valued opinion as I wasnt sure what she had. I just decided to let her go and let nature take its course. Thats the way its been for thousands oy years...
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would contact the authorities and get their opinion. If it's not something that she can spread to other deer I would probably let her live.
wabi
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Ninepoint is right. It is fibroma, and while it is not fun to look at. She SHOULD be fine. It is a virus, and she won't spread it. I'm not sure if it can be contracted through tick bites, or not. It is contracted through wounds so.. I think it could be possible that a tick bite could get infected with the virus. I would say shes not in need of a "mercy kill". Just my thoughts.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Jay, this is a link to fibroma on deer
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

This is a search on what others here say that is is fibroma. I was interested in what it was and did a search. Im not sure thats what the poor doe suffers, but it looks similar.

From what I read it sounds as if it may be possible to spread to another deer, but rarely.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

thanks one shot
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

Here is the response I got from the Florida Game Commission. It seems that these are probably caused by tick bites:
Mr. Leonard,

This is the response I got from the biologist who is knowledgeable about the growths you are seeing on the deer on your property.

Susan, these are cutaneous fibromas. They are caused by a virus that is transmitted by a biting insect. Once the virus gets into the skin, the body tries to wall off the virus with tissue growth. The fibromas are simply skin blemishes and do cause any problem to the deer population or for that matter human consumption. Hunters are often worried about eating the meat but the tumor comes off with the skin. The only time they should be worried about the meat is if they find a secondary infection (i.e pus). The virus is not spread animal to animal so culling the herd has no affect on the occurrence. The one exception to all this is the deer with the fibromas all around the face. There are cases where the fibromas can obstruct vision and the animal does become more susceptible to predation. He may want to target that animal on doe days just to put it out of its misery. One final note. Experimental infections have shown that fibromas are usually temporary. They will eventually go away, so unless the animal is having problems seeing or walking, there is no reason to target them for harvest.

Arlo
I hope that helps answer your questions about what you are seeing. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Susan
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thats what I like about this place. Last week I had NO idea what a cutaneous fibroma was. Now I know! If I killed a deer with half as many fibromas as that doe had I would reconsider eating the meat. Now I know it does not harm the meat at all.
It appears that ticks are making a meal of the poor girl though!

Thanks for the update flbuckmaster!
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

As I mentioned before, I had some (I cant find them now) pictures last year of a doe with so many ticks she could hardly see out of her right eye. Id bet this is the same doe that contacted these warts as a result. Still not sure I would eat this deer but at least I know its not terribly contageous and may cure itself in time.
jay