very sick deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flbuckmaster

very sick deer

Post by flbuckmaster »

I just checked my camera and got a series of pictures with this deer with tumor like sores all over her body.
I called the game commission but they havent returned my call. Does anyone know what this is? Is it contageous? I know its hard to look at but I gotta know!
jay

Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If your DNR has any compassion they will have it dispatched . At least we have some severe winters to take care of the weaker ones .
saxman

Post by saxman »

I shot a 6 point last season that had the same stuff on him.
The DNR took him,I never didhear back.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Oh my! Poor thing..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

It looks like a very bad case of deer fibroma. I once killed a deer with a couple of small fibroma masses on the side of its face. Fibroma is a simple skin virus, common in deer and the "warts" do not go deeper than the skin. The meat is perfectly safe to eat.

However, in a severe case like the deer in the photo, you have to wonder whether its affected this deer's ability to function and remain healthy in other ways.

My local Ministry of Natural Resources biologist once told me of a case where a hunter killed a buck that was badly covered in fibroma masses. The hunter turned the deer over to the MNR who in turn used their discretionary authority and issued the hunter a new tag.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
barnett

Post by barnett »

Thats a managed deer and should be taken out the poor thing......... contact the mnr / dnr and find out if you can.
If your not first YOUR LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

AS ninepointer has said its a skin virus & doesn't affect the meat at all. The Doe can see out of one eye & has lived & bet she has had fawns also. You can take her out & eat the meat or let her live!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Tom

Post by Tom »

ninepointer wrote:It looks like a very bad case of deer fibroma. I once killed a deer with a couple of small fibroma masses on the side of its face. Fibroma is a simple skin virus, common in deer and the "warts" do not go deeper than the skin. The meat is perfectly safe to eat.

However, in a severe case like the deer in the photo, you have to wonder whether its affected this deer's ability to function and remain healthy in other ways.

My local Ministry of Natural Resources biologist once told me of a case where a hunter killed a buck that was badly covered in fibroma masses. The hunter turned the deer over to the MNR who in turn used their discretionary authority and issued the hunter a new tag.
smokepolehall wrote:AS ninepointer has said its a skin virus & doesn't affect the meat at all. The Doe can see out of one eye & has lived & bet she has had fawns also. You can take her out & eat the meat or let her live!
This deer will be ok and the meat is good as well. I have seen this and on the inside of the hide, you would not be able to see anything. It would be looking normal. IT is a wart virus that only attaches to the skin. Do you think that all animals should be put down for a wart or an illness. I have seen trail pictures of a doe, over 7 years that in years 2-4 had twins and years 5-7 she had triplets. Her problem was that when she was a fawn she had a damaged front leg (badly broken) and finally fell off and healed. This three legged deer lived a great productive life.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
barnett

Post by barnett »

You know something come think about it i shot a nice little 9/10 point last yr similar but not as big of bumps but i called it the madonna buck little bumps by the eyes and body but was fine to eat............
barnett

Post by barnett »

rrrrrrrrrrrrrr cant find it
xboman

Fibroma

Post by xboman »

Deer may develop severe fibroma problems as it attempts to rid its body of foreign objects such as sticks, branches & possibly arrows.

xboman
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Poor thing. That would fall under a mercy kill.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I had a picture last year of a doe with so many ticks on her face she could barely see out of her right eye. Could this be the same doe that contracted this desease from that? I have gone over my photos this year and have found at least one other yearling with some of these warts. In addition, I looked at some more pictures of this doe and saw that some of these warts have fallen off leaving open skin with no hair. I am hoping nature will take its course as I will not shoot her myself. Im sure she has raised many fawns in the past and for that I think she deserves to live out her life. I am in a wheelchair, and if it were the other way around, would she shoot me because I am sick? Lets hope a bear or yote takes her soon but for now she seems to be able to cope with life just as I have.
jay
Peach

Post by Peach »

You hit the nail on the head...I don't think it requires a mercy kill cause she is "ugly" to look at. She is obviously healthy otherwise, or she would not be standing there having her picture taken.

Not all animals are created beautiful and free of disease or disabilities.

I know you can't help but feel bad for her, but if she was suffering, a coyote would have taken care of her quite quickly.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

WHOOOA! Never would suggest that anything with a slight disability should be put down! I happen to be "slightly defective" human wise. :lol: Anyone who knows me REALLY well knows my secrets.

By my post I mean that if I saw that doe with one eye swollen shut, and the other looks like its on its way to being shut, I would take her. If both eyes happen to close, then I think it would be classified as a mercy kill becuse she is in for a painfull end if shes blind and starving.

Sorry if I offended you with my statement flbuckmaster. Never was my intent!!

And peach, I dont would not kill something simply because its ugly :roll:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-