Sling swivel noise on CB

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Sling swivel noise on CB

Post by agingcrossbower »

Does anyone have a solution for that metallic sound the swivel makes at the wrong time. Do any of you take the sling off while in the stand. Do you have a noise suppression idea that you would share. Always has bothered me. Any ideas. Thanks Agingcrossbower. :)
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm not sure whether you refer to the swivel squeaking as the pin turns in the stud hole, or the swivel knocking against the stock. A bit of grease on the swivel pin would cure the squeak. A wrap of tape over the swivel stops it from making direct contact with the stock. It doesn't look elegant, but it works.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bdog

noise

Post by bdog »

I usually take mine off , and the one time I didn't it almost cost me a deer ! The buckle on the sling tapped the snap on my jacket when I was raising the bow and that little bit of noise alerted the deer that was standing 20 yards away. You can probably wrap them with a strip of velcro
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

My crossbow is fitted with a Redhead Super Sling from Bass Pro. The sling is fully adjustable, so when I'm in my stand I simply snug the sling tight against the stock. That way the swivels do not move and there is no hanging sling to get caught on clothing, etc.
Last edited by ninepointer on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I used a rubberband on mine, bunch it up on the swivel then slide it down once attached.
I swapped out for the "Super sling" from WallMart, turned out to be a nice sling, the swivels are made by Talon, seem to fit a bit better and don't squeek or rattle.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I always take my sling off and leave it at the base of my tree.
xbhntr

sling

Post by xbhntr »

I too take my sling off. Years ago the sling rubbing against the shooting rail spooked a buck. I think deer have "selective hearing". I can call grunt and bleat but make a small noise the're gone! Ray.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use nylon cord & tie my sling through the holes. I took off the metal swivels.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Some great idea's guy and gals. Thanks a lot. Mike :)
saxman

Post by saxman »

ninepointer wrote:My crossbow is fitted with a Redhead Super Sling from Bass Pro. The sling is fully adjustable, so when I'm in my stand I simply snug the sling tight against the stock. That way the swivels do not move and there is no hanging sling to get caught on clothing, etc.
Great idea ninepointer.
This forum is great for new ideas.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

My sling has recently started making a strange noise when I carry the bow slung on my shoulder. Sort of between a squeak and a creaking sound? I lubed the swivels and it still makes the noise! Perhaps the nylon sling itself is the cause.
It doesn't matter when I'm in the blind or stand, I adjust it so it's tight and the swivels can't move.
wabi
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

wabi wrote:My sling has recently started making a strange noise when I carry the bow slung on my shoulder. Sort of between a squeak and a creaking sound? I lubed the swivels and it still makes the noise! Perhaps the nylon sling itself is the cause.
It doesn't matter when I'm in the blind or stand, I adjust it so it's tight and the swivels can't move.
My first sling on my Excal made that squeak, so I got rid of it immediately. It took me 10 years before I took a chance and bought another nylon sling. So far so good! :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

I had the same noise issues with the sling that came with my Exomax. I used electrical tape for a temporary fix. Then bought a Claw sling and love it. The sling connnectors are made from a material that does not generate the noise my other sling did and the Claw keeps the bow on my shoulder very well while carrying it.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hi5 wrote:I'm not sure whether you refer to the swivel squeaking as the pin turns in the stud hole, or the swivel knocking against the stock. A bit of grease on the swivel pin would cure the squeak. A wrap of tape over the swivel stops it from making direct contact with the stock. It doesn't look elegant, but it works.
Ditto....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
DanO

Post by DanO »

I find the sling awkward at the worst time so I remove it at the stand. MIght try some of the tricks mentioned here though.

Dan o.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.