Trying to understand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Trying to understand

Post by wheelie »

Someone explain to please me the attraction of muzzleloaders. Maybe I am missing something here having never owned one. One can bow hunt for 3 months with a bow and a week of rifle season in which I don't think I will ever rifle hunt that week again. Then there is muzzleloader season in which you can take a bow but you have to wear hunter orange. Just want to know the attraction of buying another gun that you only use for a week or 2. Do you use a muzzleloader for hunting anything else through the year? I am not being disrespectful or sarkastic in any way I am just trying to understand. I have lots of rimfires, shotguns and rifles which I use for many different things through the year. I built a heavy shotgun because I just can't take the recoil on my shoulders like I used to. Went from a 30.06 down to a .243 for deer cause of this. To me a muzzleloader would kick like h*ll. Am I wrong?

I ask here cause I don't know anyone with one. I hunt by myself 99 percent of the time.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I guess it is the allore of building your own load ,then shooting it . The smell and sight of the smoke cloud . The one shot just like bow hunting .
As for only one week use only . I enjoy going to the range the rest of the year and playing .
As for the recoil that is the joy as well . You make the recoil as light as you want . Because you are the one whom measured the powder . The recoil is different it is more of a push than a snap .
Just my 2 cents worth :)
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Thanks Doe Master. Anyone ever take there's out for coyote or any thing else for a challange? I imagine the snowy blowy days would be no good for them in the winter. Does one still go out in the rain? Put a bag over the muzzle? Cause you would have to hold muzzle up I would think
diesel

Post by diesel »

When I was younger and had the time I would take it groundhog hunting. It had open sights and I liked to stock the groundhogs. Yes they are fun to shoot. We always made our own round balls and patches also went to some shoots with my Dad and brothers.
My Dad has past on know and I now have his muzzle loader 54 cal. I've not shot it but have thought about it many times.
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

Generally wheelie they are much less sensitive to snow and rain than you mite expect..I love to hunt in both during powder season.
No you dont have to keep the barrel up...lol
Recoil.? Again less than you mite expect, with regular loads..tho the push the last few yrs has been to "magnum" loads for improved ballistics.

Basically its a different type of hunting challenge, combining skills from both bow and rifle hunting.

My 2 cents..:)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My attraction is 2 parts, one is because I don't have one, I want one, the other is that it is one more week of hunting in WMU9 91.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Pydpiper I have really never took an interest in them till now. But here even in muzzleloader and rifle season you can still bow hunt. Debating about muzzleloader instead of rifle week. I don't really enjoy rifle season like I once did. To much hussle and bussle. Find alot of hunters that only hunt one week a year and I am sorry but they scare me now. Spend the whole winter out hunting finding trails ect and come rifle season all that stuff seems to go out the window and the deer run everywhere. I now find no skill needed for rifle season. May be wrong but can't help how I feel.
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

Usually take it out about 3 times a year to target shoot in addition to deer hunt,

The fun of muzzle loading deer week for me is the comradery(beer)...and hunting with a rifle... it's different from sitting with a crossbow for hours in the peace of a woodlot. The smell of powder, the cloud of smoke and the elements of loading the gun and the final connection with the deer all combine to the experience.

It's a good time, it's a big bullet calibre and you can never have enough guns...!!!
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Todays muzzleloaders are basically rifles, they can shoot predetermined loads, a couple pellets followed by a bullet and you have accurate consistany,
Gus are shooting 200 yards groups from ML's now, heck, they don't even look like they used to.
I want one too, that Savage seems to be a shooter!

A couple good threads have slipped by about them.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Note: There is a distinction to be made between "extend-the-deer-season" muzzleloading and muzzleloading because of historical interest.

While I thoroughly understand "modern muzzleloading" and even have one, I don't find it all that interesting, except as another legal option for hunting during a specific season.

I do have a great interest in the firearms our ancestors used in surviving, though, and about that, I'd say it's like someone asking you what the big deal is about riding a Harley.

You either "get it" or you don't. :D

Here is a video link that "explains it" about as well as I could. Be sure to watch to the end! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGpa_SkxmvI

Here is one of my favorite guns. I have a number of blackpowder "non-modern" muzzleloaders, but this one is a custom handmade .62 English Fowling Piece ... like the sort of common firearm settlers in this area kept around in the 1760 era ... they were imported from the Birmingham Trade. Every purveyor of goods would have had a few of these for sale; think of them as a "hardware store gun". More than sixty of these showed up when this area mustered for the Revolutionary War.

I bought this one from a close friend of the gunmaker in the video. It is of somewhat better quality than the average, being an exact duplicate of an officer's piece (best components and a little shorter and lighter), rather than a common arm:

She is one sweet handling gun!

When you take the time to understand the old guns and are patient enough to learn how to use them, they're worlds of fun and more efficient than you'd ever have dreamed. Truly, there's just something about 'em.

But not everybody "gets" that.

When I touch off a flinter, I feel just like you do when one of your bikes comes to life. Does that make more sense of it? :D 8)
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a muzzleloader in gun and muzzleloader seasons. In Ohio we're limited to shotguns or handguns (muzzleloaders or archery are also legal) in gun season - no centerfire rifles! Back when I started with a muzzleloader it was the best choice for long distance accuracy, and long distance was about 100 - 125 yards! :lol:
I still hunt with a muzzleloader, and have gone back to an old T/C caplock Hawken as my #1 choice. I do use a barrel made for modern sabot loads, though.
Just something about the loading procedure and smell of black powder (I still use black powder) that gets in your blood.
Plus I like the challenge of hunting knowing I have one shot to get my deer. I've killed a lot more game with single shot guns than all the repeaters I've ever owned. Makes you slow down, think it over, and take good shots only. :wink:
wabi
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

well it all about making it ez if i see a big buck 10 to 50 yards with my bow or crossbow but if he in brush there nothing i can do but cry lol but with Muzzleloader if i can see him up to 100 yards he good as dead brush or no brush i put in a lot of time baiting moving stand and using climbing stands to. so if i see a nice buck i hope i have the Muzzleloader in my hands then the bow this Muzzleloader to day shot as good as rifles at 100 yards at 50 yards i shoot in the same holes at 100 1in deff. now im not saying i go out there out shoot my 300 mag but at 100 yards i hang with it
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
huntone

Post by huntone »

The deer are moving and the rut is starting up.

I'm able to reach out more with the muzzloader.

It's fun like reloading, you can pick your on loads.

Just another hunting tool you can enjoy. :D

A heavy muzzleloader won't kick like you would think.
Last edited by huntone on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Muzzleloaders have the same appeal for me as crossbows: One noisy shot.
They can be loaded down so they don't kick much more than a 243. Buying another gun isn't necessary either. My Encore accepts rifle, shotgun, ML and even pistol barrels. It's another way to extend the season if you're not into crossbows, etc; and another source of income for DNR. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ML's & ML's! I started my shooting with them in 1958 using my G'Pa's Poor Boy Mtn. rifle caplock in a 45 cal. PRB & 40grs was great on squirrels. I have many of those ML's over the yrs. Lots of times you miss! Maybe not yer aim but saplins tree limbs deer moving all play their part. Extra yardage is more of where you are hunting than anything else. Yes they can reach out 100 yds with open sights & young eyes. I have shot more deer less than 50 yds with them than over 50 yds. Its slower to reload than a CB, :lol: I love shooting them, i have 4 all T/C's all 50 cal & above. I would love to get a Rock Crusher when i get another one. I have an inline & its ok but its not like my caplocks. Paid good moey to learn i didn't care fer them.
Last edited by vixenmaster on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315