Deer rifles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

Bdog and wabi are right in that. Loads for 30-30 are much better than 20 yrs ago...so keeping a nice marlin remains a viable choice.:)
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I shot a lot of deer with my Dad's Marlin 30-30. Put a 4x scope on it and was good to go.

But I started one of my boys with a 243 and the other with a 7m-08. I'd take the 7m-08 everytime. Use 120 gn Nosler Ballistic Tips and you are good from zero to well over 300yds. Light recoil and good reach. I think it is the perfect deer caliber.

Long
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have owed both 30-30 Marlin & a 243. I got rooked out of my 30-30 still have 243. The 30-30 Marlin with 170 gr bullets is pure death out to 125 yds. Use decent 4x scope its all you ever need
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My very fave, a 7/08...a 243 on steroids. I'm recoil sensitive because of twice cut shoulder and back, the 7/08 gives me a choice of heavier bullets than the 243 (same case) in a short action, with enough power to break shoulders on any deer. Mine does around 2800 fps with 140 gr bullets; using Barnes TSX I'd not think twice to use it on elk or even moose.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
axis

Post by axis »

Just put a muzzle brake on your 270.cal. That will reduce the recoil down to a 243 cal. And you get to keep hunting with the same rifle. You will just need to get ear plugs. :wink:

Axis
K31Scout

Post by K31Scout »

I've settled on handloaded 8mm Mauser. 30/06 velocity with a big .323 Hornady SP Interlock profile. I have a WWII German Mauser (original stock) with an excellent bore that weighs 11 lbs loaded with scope that shoots MOA for at least 5 rounds, then it heats up and moves a little. Recoil is not bad because it's heavy but I'm still in good shape.

When I get older I'll go with a .308 short action synthetic stock light weight.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

If I was buying a new dedicated deer rifle and was sensitive to recoil, I'd consider a .260 Remington or 6.5X55. Lots of steam for deer sized game and could double as a coyote rifle or even woodchucks.
My .270 is a Browning BAR and I could shoot it until the barrel melted down with no adverse affects to the shoulder.
You didn't say what your .270 is. If it's a light weight sporter, maybe a LimbSaver or other premium recoil pad would tame the recoil. Another thing to consider is the fit. It's amazing how a properly fitting stock will reduce the "felt" recoil. A couple of friends teach competitive shooters as well as police snipers and they insist that proper fit is a key element in both accurate shooting and comfortable shooting. They use the "rule of thumb" method of determining proper stock length. With the rifle mounted to your shoulder in shooting position, you should be able to touch the tip of your nose with the thumb of your trigger hand with your finger on the trigger. The old stock in the crook of your elbow with your finger on the trigger measuring system doesn't cut it for them. You have to take the length of your neck and other factors into consideration as well. The average rifle stock is generally a little on the long side for most shooters. They both have numerous national and international titles to their credit, so they are definitely doing something right.
Hope you find the solution that's right for you.
Jerry
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I have and use a .243 does what i ask of it. I also hunt with a 300 win mag and a 338 win mag I mounted limbsaver recoil pads on both and it really tamed the recoil. Might want to look into one of these for yor 270.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I have two deer rifles currently which I love but since taking up the crossbow, hardly ever hunt with them anymore.

Both are Remington model 7's, one in .243 and the other in 7mm08. I have to admit though; the 7mm08 is my favorite between the two.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

30.30 is a bush gun. keep shots shorter. gr8 gun for 100 yards or so. Don't own a 30.30 I have a 32 winchester special which is basiclly the same rifle. Lever action are hard for scopes. Mine had to be fipped over because of the lever action. So vertical dial is the hoezontal dial. Make it a little tougher for lineing up the scope. Love my .243 Use my 243 for coyotes with 65 grain bullets then it doubles up as my deer rifle with 100 grain bullets. As any gun it is shot placement. Nice thing about a 243. is basiclly no drop in 200 yards and no recoil. I can shoot my .243 all day long and no flinch cause I know there is no recoil. I set my 243 up for 200 yards which is a long shot. 50 shells 19 dollars.
Last edited by wheelie on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wheelie wrote: I set my 243 up for 200 yards which is a long shot.
Not around here, it's not.

When "beanfield" rifle hunting here, 200 yards is a chip-shot! :P :lol: :wink:

I know what you mean, though. Just funnin' ya. 8)
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Fishn-Hunter wrote:6mm remington might be worth considering also 35 remington both great deer cartriges.
I agree.Also the 7MM08 is good as well.
I shoot 270 myself because thats what I have.
I have a Marlinn thudy thudy also and with the new Hornady Lever revolution ammo it is potent deer medicine.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

saxman wrote: I shoot 270 myself because thats what I have.
No doubt, Sax.

I bought my Ruger M77 .30-'06 in 1990 because I thought it would be versatile enough to do all the big game rifle hunting I'd ever do ... and five years later topped it with a Leupold Vari-X III Gold Ring scope.

I use that 'cause that's what I've got too!

Who can afford lots of 'em?

It nearly takes a second mortgage to get a good one with a good scope! :shock: :? :(
Grizz
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Thanks for all the replies, My .270 is a rem 7600 with a steel but plate. I'm going to bass pro today to check out the different 30-30 bullets, I have been using rem 150grn core lokt. Ran a couple shells through both guns to make sure they were on and the recoil wasnt to awful, but it was only 2 shots, shouldnt need more than that in a hunting situation anyway. Guess I'll make do with one or the other,but it would be a great excuse to buy a new rifle! All the suggestions are great but have no experiece with any of them and dont know anbody who has a .243, 7mm-o8,25/06,.260,6.5-55 or 308 to try. Most people in these parts are using .35, 30-30, 30-06. Thanks again, Crispy
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

planter wrote: I've never even taken a 200 yard shot on a deer. :cry:
I sure wouldn't worry about that.

Hey ... most of us take the shots we're presented with, truth be told. It all depends on where you live and what your situation is.

Long-distance shooting when rifle-hunting is common enough here because of the nature of the terrain. When it comes to our ag fields, westerners don't have a thing on us ... we can shoot as far as the cartridge will take game, if we're capable.

We take the shots we can get!

You take the shots you get! :D
Grizz