Deer rifles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

the 2 bucks in the pic's to the left were taken with my 243. I gave it to my nephew and bought my retirement gun a winchester, model 70, 30.06. if I didn't have acouple 222's in the cabinet for varmits he wouldn't have gotten the 243. :lol:
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

I have killed many deer with the 243. Another one to consider is the 7mm08 wish is a short action rifle.It is a 30 cal necked down to 7mm. Using a 140 grain bullet makes an excellent deer load.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

planter wrote:I've never even taken a 200 yard shot on a deer
Most times deer hunting whitetail deer with rifle I don't sit on my stand. I sit on a fence row intersecting 4 farmer fields. Just shooting across the shortest field is 134 yards.
hawg hunter

which calibur

Post by hawg hunter »

I've shot every calibur mention sofar. If your recoil sensitive like me due to injuries and just one rifle. The 260 Rem and the 6.55 x55 are your best choice. Better ballistic than a 243, much better bullet choices,retains velocity and knockdown at exteme ranges. Oh yea the 7mmo8 not bad either.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I would say the 243 is a good choice to do both zones you hunt in.
That will probably be the next gun I buy to do the same thing.
You can get a 100gr bullet for those not sure if you can bigger than that.
If your only shooting out to 125 yds I have seen a deer dropped with a 243 at 90 yds and it only went 20 yds after the hit.
Have seen 3 deer just run away after being hit with a 30/30 I am sure they died later and it is a shame when this happens.
Do some Ballistics research just to be sure and compare the rounds but I think the 243 will do just fine.
Let us know what you end up with.
Tenpoint Matrix
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If you are considering a 243 and heavier bullets, be sure to check the twist rate of the barrel. A slow twist rate ( like 1-12) won't stabilize a 100 g bullet, or even the longer Barnes TSX which are longer because they are made of copper. I'd want the twist rate to be not more than 1 in 9, or 10 at most.

PS I reload and shoot 16 different chamberings, including 6 wildcats.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Cossack wrote:If you are considering a 243 and heavier bullets, be sure to check the twist rate of the barrel. A slow twist rate ( like 1-12) won't stabilize a 100 g bullet, or even the longer Barnes TSX which are longer because they are made of copper. I'd want the twist rate to be not more than 1 in 9, or 10 at most.

PS I reload and shoot 16 different chamberings, including 6 wildcats.
Excellent point Cossack.
I pay close attention to this with my muzzleloaders and it never crossed my mind for centerfire.
DUHH!!!!!!!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've heard a lot of calibers thrown around, but one that everyone missed is a regular .44 magnum. I've got a little lever action carbine in the caliber. The recoil is next to nothing in the rifle, bullet drop out to 100 yds is minimal, and you're slinging a .44 cal slug in the deer's direction instead of something smaller.

Also, with the new ballistic tip loads that Hornady has developed, 100 yds is no longer the maximum range. Granted, the gun wouldn't be much on long shots at groundhogs, but for deer it's more than adequate.

Just something else to ponder. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Arkbow

Rifles

Post by Arkbow »

I would like to join in;

I shoot a T/C encore pro hunter; a very good gun that has the sims recoil system; I have a 50 cal muzzleloader, 20 guage rifle slug barrel, 20 guage smooth barrel {turkey stomper} 17HMR barrel, 220 swift barrel, 308 barrel, 30/06 barrel and a 7mm/08. all of these guns with one frame.
If anyone spends their hard earned money on guns, I would HIGHLY recommend T/C pro hunter because of the recoil system found on this gun; the 7mm/08 has about the same recoil as a 410 shotgun and the range is almost unbelieveable; that is what I would use if you are looking for a light recoil;

PLUS it's alot easier to slip in a barrel than a whole gun on the wife....... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Re: Deer rifles

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Have you tried any of the managed recoil offerings from Remington in .270? I use them in my 7mm Remington Mag. with good results.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Arkbow, I realy like the pro hunter. Is it accurate? hard to change barrels? Are regular and bull barrels interchangable with the same forearm? I always liked the idea of having a second shot, but havent needed one in years. There's one for sale in trading post for $685.00 less scope. Money is tight right now with the holidays coming up, but I should start saving now for next year. Thanks Equinoxhnterva, Another member recomended the same. I've heard of them but never saw them "never thought to look", do they preform the same? What type of bullets do they offer? Currently using Rem. 150 core lokt with good success. Thanks,
Crispy
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Another 243 buck.
Attachments
buck 1.jpg
buck 1.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Shotnbeer, nice buck! what grn bullet do you use? How far was the shot/recovery?
Crispy
Exomaxer

Post by Exomaxer »

Last edited by Exomaxer on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I say the old Swede 6.5x55 is about a no recoil rifle as ever was. I have one in a model 96 very accurate. Bullets from 120 gr on up to 160 gr
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315