sighting in issues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bardern

sighting in issues

Post by bardern »

Sorry to be tactless and ask and question with my first post

I recently picked up a new unfired phoenix on an equipment trade and I am having an awful time sighting it in with the stock fibre-optic sights. I am using a cocking string aid and making sure that the string is centered. 2216 bolts with 100 grain field tips have also tried 2219's.

this bow shoots consistantly high and to the right. I have only attempted 10 yard shoots as it will not hit the target at twenty. No matter how much I adjust the front pin sight the bow insists on hitting, like i said, high and right. I have noticed a lot of string scuffing on the track making me believe that the limbs are out of tune and dragging on the track. i have put a square on the string and it seems to be dead on ninety degrees with the channel edge of the track.

Can anyone give me any ideas?
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

What kind of nocks are on the arrows, half moon or flat. I had a similar problem with my Exocet and found that the half moon nocks were out of line causing the fletching to deflect it coming out of the bow. I switched to flat nocks and that cured my problem.
Also check and make sure that the limbs are both tight and one is not worked loose causing the tiller to be off.
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Bardern! Image Hope you fix your problem. Ask as many questions as you have. There are many knowledgeable and helpful members on this wonderful forum!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
gogo

Post by gogo »

This may sound crazy but if there is a quiver attached to the crossbow take it off, then try again to sight in. Had trouble one time shooting high and right took the quiver off trouble dissapeared.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Welcome Bardern!

Not to insult you or anything but you didn't mention your experience. Is this your first crossbow? Are you new to shooting or sighting in? Which way are you adjusting the 10yd pin to move the POI lower and left? How much room for adjustment is left?
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Peep/pin set it 1/16" off end of right side dovetail, use the gn. center optic for 20 yds. Make sure yer string is above the lowest brace line or you will hit & throw arrow off every time you shoot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bardern

Post by bardern »

wow thanks for the replys!

1. I am using flat nocks on Easton xx75's
2. First thing I will do is make sure the limbs are tight. are X-bow limbs set to be bottomed out unlike vertical bows?
3. No quiver I have always perfered to hang my quiver beside me with my vertical bow
4. by clearance on the braceline I think you mean where the string positions itself at rest? there is clearance at rest but there is now a lot of scuff at the release point. makes me think the string is ossilating (sp)
5. I am a rookie this is my first x-bow. I have always pulled verticals before this.

one observation that I have is that that front sight is kinda rinky-dink. Is there an upgrade that has three F-O pins like the Tru-glo sight on my other bow? I can see where where the two black posts will be tough to see at low light.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First off Welcome to the forum :)
The string is supposed to have contact with the deck . This is what stops some of the twang ( guitar string like sound ) also maintains the same contact on the arrow every time .
The brace height is measured at rest the same as your vertical bow . There should be either one scribed line or two . With a one liner have the string somewhere around that . With a two liner then inbetween the two marks but after sighted in try and keep the string in the same spot by applying twists as needed . :)
To me it sounds like contact possibly with the stirrup . IF it is an older phoenix then it may be possible they mounted the stirrup on upside down .IT HAS HAPPENED :roll:
As for the sights , I will go out on a limb (pun intended) and say 80% of crossbow users use a low power scope ie 2.5 power . It is not used for magnification but for the simple fact that your eye only has to focus on two things instead of three like a traditional sight .
Again welcome to the forum and I hope this helps a bit . :D
blackjack

Re: sighting in issues

Post by blackjack »

g'day & good choice in the phoenix. l use both types of sights, scope & open. l like open sights just fine but remember to shoot up move your sight down to shoot right move your sight left. hope l got that right, remember everything is the opposite...regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome! :D

Nothing to add ... except that if the Excal is properly assembled, I'll bet it isn't your problem! :P

If it is, they'll fix it. 8)
Grizz
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum.

When I shot high left (Lefty) ,I am yanking or not following through, just a thought.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I bought a Phoenix when they first came out.
I used the factory sights and my POI would slowly drift horizontally. I finally noticed the front sight was slowly tilting from the pressure of the set screw that holds it. I called Excalibur and was told the dovetail dimension had been changed slightly on the new machined riser. The likely problem was a new riser and an old sight creating a loose fit on the dovetail. They sent me a new sight and the problem was fixed, but I switched to a scope before hunting season, anyway.
Check your front sight and make sure it is not "tilting" when you tighten the set screw. :wink:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Also make sure the screws holding bow to stock remain tight. I used to get erratic flight when the loosened. BLUE LocTite takes care of that.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I've found on several Excals I've set up w/ P&P, if you set the green pin height at 1 7/16" [1.437 w/ dial calipers] from the bottom of the base and then position it nearly flush w/ inside of dovetail edge, you are very close at 20 yds.

If you are on target at 10 yds and totally off target of any size at 20 yds, my bet is on assembly problem somewhere.
"Eze 18:21"
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Nothing to add but welcome to the forum.
Keep smiling!
Dennis