shoot-through mesh

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

shoot-through mesh

Post by one shot scott »

I recently got a new to me groundblind so that I can take my 7 year old out with me. Hes been asking for a while now, and I figured a groundblind with lots of fidgit room would be best. :lol:
Anyways, It has shoot trough mesh and I was curious if anyone here had any POI changes when shooting thru that with fixed broadheads?? The mesh velcro's out, but the added concealment seems like a good idea.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've shot through the mesh one time. The deer came in on the wrong side and I forgot the mesh was there. :oops: :roll:
Shooting a 4 blade Wac'Em fixed blade head and hit right where I should have (at less the 15 yards).

I've also found the mesh really does little to help the effectiveness of the blind. I rarely use it as I wear black inside the blind and blend in without it.
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks for the reply wabi! The wee lad and I are going to give er a go tomorrow.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Good luck Scott! I have done a lot of shooting through the mesh, it will not affect your POI at all if you use fixed blades.
Have fun with your kid!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Have a safe and Great day with your Son! These times will pass all to fast so enjoy them NOW 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
roly

Post by roly »

Teach him well Neil, some day He'll be taking you out :D
saxman

Post by saxman »

With a fixed blade head the shoot through was no problem for me but when I switched to the Bloodrunner(fixed/mechanical) it presented a BIG problem.

Now, whatever window I'm shooting through I just take that mesh out.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You are the man I thought of when I was contemplating shooting thru the mesh sax, I knew you had a poi change on a hog with the bloodrunner.

Im going to be using the trusty ole slick tricks. Or at least i will have one on the rail, ready to go! We will see if we are fortunate enough to see a deer today, let alone loose an arrow :lol:

Thanks to all for your replies.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Good luck! Have fun and teach him well
saxman

Post by saxman »

one shot scott wrote:You are the man I thought of when I was contemplating shooting thru the mesh sax, I knew you had a poi change on a hog with the bloodrunner.

Im going to be using the trusty ole slick tricks. Or at least i will have one on the rail, ready to go! We will see if we are fortunate enough to see a deer today, let alone loose an arrow :lol:

Thanks to all for your replies.
The slick shouldn't be a problem with the mesh.
If in doubt,take it out(the mesh that is)
I know the G5 Montec had NO problem with the mesh,mine were so sharp though that the mesh cut itself before the Montec got there :lol: :lol:

If you have the chance,set up some targets and find out.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Exomaxer

Enjoy your Boy!

Post by Exomaxer »

Last edited by Exomaxer on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yep, my plan is to get him hooked, than when im old and gray he has to wheel pops out there :) These are pics of our day out. The first is our set up, no time to brush it in. The 2nd is him and I in our hideout, and 3rd is one of our veiws. It was a good time out, but the deer were safe from us that day :lol: We plan to go out again

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Did you ever shoot through the mesh? My logical thinking tells me that sooner or later, there will be a snag, ever so slight, but, enough to miss the biggest buck in the whole world.

May be OK at very short distances. I've read a lot of mixed reviews. It would be great to be able to use the mesh in that fashion.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Re: shoot-through mesh

Post by one shot scott »

No, not yet. I want to test it but the day we went out I didnt have time. But I agree with your theory sumner. I think the broadhead will go thru no problem as long as its a fixed head, but sooner or later something may happen, be it a vane that snags or something... I would be better off just removing the screen like suggested. But I think it offers some "camoflage".
Phoenix_Tom

Re: shoot-through mesh

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

The OP's question came up recently. I had the same question when I got my Ameristep Bone Collector GB back in September. I like the camo mesh but I don't want to shoot mechanicals though it and the velcro is really loud so removing it on 4 or 5 windows wakes up the neighbourhood. I had planned to convert the velcro to magnets for silent opening / closing. Well, I did one of the big window tonight and it works great! I had thought I'd stick material to the velcro somehow to keep the velcro from accidentally sticking. So I looked in my old barracks box and found an old army thermal undershirt. I cut that into 1" strips and it sticks all by itself to the velcro. The magnets have stick-on velcro stuck on them. It took a half hour for one window but the Excalibur show was playing on WildTV so maybe I was distracted. Anyways, this works perfectly and silently now. I'll do the rest of the windows tomorrow after I get the Xmas lights up.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s