Sight question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Belt&Suspenders

Sight question

Post by Belt&Suspenders »

I have had an Exomax with Right Stuff package for about 3 years, super bow, always accurate and plenty strong. But I just sold mine to a buddy so I could re-outfit myself with a thumbhole stock version (probably the Vortex this time with a little less speed and weight and length). On my last one I had the scope package which worked great but I want to trim down my weight this time.

So my plan is to get a Vortex and use pin sights and no quiver (I'm cutting down a back pack cat quiver!) If you want to use the Excalibur without a scope, are you forced to just use the sight that comes on the Vortex, or can you put light pins on for 20, 30 & 40 yards? I asked the guy in the archery section at Bass Pro Shops today and he said that if I didn't want the Varizone scope that I've have to use the sight that came on it from Excalibur. Your thoughts? Thanks. Harry
wabi

Post by wabi »

There are posts above and below the fiber optic pin that can be used for other distances. Not sure what it would equal with your bow (depends on arrow speed), but for the old Vixen I had it amounted to 10 yards.
They can be a bit hard to see in dim light, but it beats nothing. :roll:
I'd sight in for 25 yards and then check and see what the posts are on at. A 25 yard sight in allows a "center of the kill zone" hold on a deer that will put the arrow through the vitals.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used peep/pin on my phoenix fer a few yrs. sighted in the gn. fiber optic fer 30 yds. & ck'ed to see how high i hit at 10- 20
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Belt&Suspenders

Sight question

Thanks Wabi. I may try that. I just really wanted to get away from the Exomax and all the weight. Plus I really didn't need that much power. Nor did I like the extra noise.
Belt&Suspenders

Sight question

Smokepolehall, thx for the response. I see that you're showing "carved tips" on your Vixen. What exactly does "carved tips" mean? Thanks. Harry
archiarcher

Post by archiarcher »

Put some white paint on both the posts. It makes them alot easier to see in dim light.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Carved tips is how the older limbs were made . The string groove was filed into the limb tip . The magtips are a composite piece that is applied to the limb . Easier on the limb makers :) and better for using fastflight string materials .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Doe Master answered about carved tip limbs. archiarcher gave great advice of putting paint on the 2 blk posts
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Belt&Suspenders

Sight question

Thanks Archiarcher, that's a good idea. Wish I had thought of it. I primarily tree stand hunt in south Alabama and I'm always amidst bushes and limbs and vines and such. Harry
Belt&Suspenders

Sight question

Thx Doe Master for the explanation. Harry
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you sight the green pin at 20, the bottom post top under it will be close to on at 30.

I don't shoot at deer past 35 yds, so for me, the stock peep and pin works fine if I choose to use it.
"Eze 18:21"
Belt&Suspenders

Thanks awshucks. It sure does seem to lighten up the cross bow by taking all that scope/mount stuff off. And if I can consistently hit with the sight that came on it from the factory, then I'll try that for a while and see how I like it. Also this time when I go down from the Exomax, I'm taking the arrow quiver off too. I've bought a nice backpack catquiver and I'm going to cut it down to carry mine on my back. That may be the perfect fit for me without the scope, mount, quiver and in a shorter, lighter bow. Less noisy too I bet! Thanks again. Harry