Very slow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

Very slow

Post by gogo »

Things are tough in my part of Niagara havn't seen a deer in a month. How is your area ?
roly

Post by roly »

Have'nt seen anything for two weeks where I hunt. :(

they yard about 2 miles from me , saw 7 there on Fri. , too early for that.

Never got drawn for the Dec. hunt here , but am going to 67 for a couple days to muzzy hunt this week :D
Czy Horse

Northern Huron County

Post by Czy Horse »

Very slow, have not seen very many deer . . only 8 or so all season, heard a couple others, all in the last 10-15 minutes of legal shooting time. I have not seen any fawns. Even my Amish neighbors are talking about lower numbers and not seeing as many does and fawns. Their large gang did not use all their tags during the shotgun season.
When the corn was still on everyone was thinking the deer where hiding there, with most of the corn off, there's been no difference in numbers of deer I'm seeing
I have not heard the usual OPP warnings for people to watch for deer crossing roads during the fall rut. Anyone know if deer-car collisions are up-down or about the same.
Coyotes tracks seem to be everywhere, stepping out for a smoke after supper it is quite common to hear them. Hope the price of fur is up and lots of guys are out running coyotes with hounds this winter.
I'm buying a predator call and a stuffed rabbit on a rope(would use a road kill rabbit but cannot remember last rabbit I seen) for after the bow season, sit out with the 300 mag and dust me some coyotes/wild dogs.

Czy Horse
2009 - Excalibur Exocet 200 c/w Boo String
1988 - Excalibur Wolverine c/w Boo String
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have saw 13 deer so far this yr of hunting, but get myself in posistion fer my shots no matter what. 4 down plus the yote, very good season so far.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sleddog2

Post by sleddog2 »

I had a buck come within 30 yds. a couple of weeks ago, but it was getting to dark. That was my first experience hunting & it was a great feeling
Sleddog
Evillage

Re: Northern Huron County

Post by Evillage »

Czy Horse wrote:Very slow, have not seen very many deer . . only 8 or so all season, heard a couple others, all in the last 10-15 minutes of legal shooting time. I have not seen any fawns. Even my Amish neighbors are talking about lower numbers and not seeing as many does and fawns. Their large gang did not use all their tags during the shotgun season.
When the corn was still on everyone was thinking the deer where hiding there, with most of the corn off, there's been no difference in numbers of deer I'm seeing
I have not heard the usual OPP warnings for people to watch for deer crossing roads during the fall rut. Anyone know if deer-car collisions are up-down or about the same.
Coyotes tracks seem to be everywhere, stepping out for a smoke after supper it is quite common to hear them. Hope the price of fur is up and lots of guys are out running coyotes with hounds this winter.
I'm buying a predator call and a stuffed rabbit on a rope(would use a road kill rabbit but cannot remember last rabbit I seen) for after the bow season, sit out with the 300 mag and dust me some coyotes/wild dogs.

Czy Horse
SWO is slow I think the NUMBERS are down aswell,many hours in the stand,it took me around 40 to catch my deer .
stay on it the second rut will have them moving
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Things were real slow here in Nova Scotia for me, my cam has been alive the last week or so, and only a week left and unfortunately I don't have many days I can hunt.
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
saxman

Post by saxman »

Slow here in the south eastern U.S.
Last year at this time I had shot 3 bucks and 4 doe's
i did kill my biggest buck ever this season but deer sightings are non existant lately.
I think they have gone nocturnal here.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Things are real slow here around Kingston and Belleville area and to the north, we have seen 3 deer while hunting 2 does and 1 fawn. Have not seen many more than that in my travels this year. Hunted the first week of gun season in WMU 63A, 9 men in camp and not one of us drew an antler-less tag and between the 9 men that hunted hard all week only 4 does were seen. Very quiet week up there, could count all shots heard on 2 hands for the entire week in that large crown land region. My hunting buddy and I have been hunting 67 and 68B with bow in hand and I have seen 1 doe in 67 and he seen a doe and 1 fawn in 68B. Hardly any sign at all in either area, we had a biologist visit our camp daily during the first week of gun season. He reported that he was having a real hard time collecting samples for his studies as only 2 camps had 1 deer each. He says there were very high winter kills the last 2 winters in southern Ontario with only 2 regions that were average. I am going out this afternoon to sit so hopefully I can put my sightings number up, its only going to take 1 with antlers to fill one of my tags and given the low numbers this year I will probably leave my other tags unfilled and consider myself lucky to fill one. I hope others are having better luck and more sitings but it seems most are reporting much the same. Best of luck to all.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
fratri

Post by fratri »

Things seemed really slow here until the last couple of days, been seeing lots of deer these last few days, haven't closed the deal on one yet, will have to wait until the Dec shotgun season is over now, but I saw more deer these last 3 days then I have all season, something must be up....
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Considering the number of times I've been out I think I've done quite well.

I've seen seven bucks, shot one. Four had decent racks. One had a GREAT rack (140-150")!! This morning although not seen I heard at least four deer near my stand. Last weekend I had six slickheads under 50 yards. I've busted deer at least three times going into my stand, and seen two-four deer during legal light afterwards. I passed up, kicking myself now, a doe with a fawn Nov 1.

Car trouble prevented me from hunting the way I wanted today. I should still be out, instead I am housebound. Hopefully I have wheels again come Dec 12.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
sullyy

Post by sullyy »

Very slow here. Seem to still be completely nocturnal. Hope it changes soon, I'm down to 3 weekends left......

Good luck!
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I have no more tags so have stopped. However, yesterday morning my neighbor shot a buck from the same blind where I shot my last one. He said before that he had already seen 17 does. That was around 9:00 am.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Im in the barrie area and I couldnt tell you what a deer looks like! :D
Seems to be slow here also!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I haven't seen one this year yet! Not a live one, anyways. The crops are all off around the farm we hunt so they're living in the corn a road over from us. It's been the worst year ever.

BUT, yesterday I was out for a couple of hours and caught a movement of something large and brownish through the trees about 80 yds away. No clear view, but I'm pretty sure it was a deer. There also seem to be some fresh tracks around. I think with the corn starting to come off and the winter wheat coming up we'll get some deer back.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.