new phoenix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shawnhunts

new phoenix

Post by shawnhunts »

I am new to xbows but a long time bow hunter. I have the serving wax that came with my lite stuff package and watched the dvd so I know bill t. says to wax the serving only. Now what about the deck? I noticed that there is some extra wax debris on the rail, I was told I don't need to wax the deck on a excal. true or false? I am shooting dead on at 20 yards , 5 yds and just a bit high at 30 and higher still at 40. Any suggestions?
thanks!
Shawn
2009 Phoenix, firebolts,100gr spitfires
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Again, Shawnhunts!Image
You have come to the right place for solid, friendly advice! :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome! :D
Grizz
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Welcome Shawn!

Raise the "speed" on the speed dial to lower the POI. You may want to "knock" the scope a little to get the adjustment to set. Or, take note of where it's set and where you want to try setting it, then crank it all the way up, all the way back, then to where you want to try it. If you don't, then there may be a delayed reaction to your adjustments.

Enjoy the Phoenix!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
lscha

Post by lscha »

Tom is right. Once you have the speed dial set you will be hitting right on at all those distances. The speed dial does not necessarily reflect the actual speed of the arrow either.

Also, I occasionally use a dry lube for the deck and try to keep wax off of it.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

If you've got one of the Excalibur scopes then you need to raise the speed dial as already mentioned.

I personally would still wax the string. Not perhaps with that serving wax but with a wax you'd use on the string of your compound or trad bowstring.

Got my Exocet in August of this year and have already been through servings on two strings. One of the strings had to be trashed because of the serving wraps separating and the trigger claw cutting some strands. Re-served my OK string and now have 43 shots on it WITHOUT USING SERVING WAX. I've heard arguments that you're better off NOT waxing the serving and since I had crap luck with waxing I'm going to give no waxwd serving a try.

Oh yeah, welcome to the CB club and this forum.

Take care...
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Well, being new at the xbow thing, I am still on my 1st string. I waxed it with an xbow string wax as Excal said to do after every 20-30 shots. "Doing this keeps the deck waxed - no need for anything else". I did just have my factory string reserved although the original showed no wear. But I needed the serving wider a/c adding an STS. By the way, my xbow is an Exocet.

Welcome to the forum.

Long
Arkbow

Phoenix

Post by Arkbow »

I have a phoenix with a vari-zone and I can ruin arrows at 40 yards; I shoot excalibur bolts with 150 gr. boltcutters. my scope is set on the last "zero" of the 300 located on the top.

When I pull the trigger while hunting, it means death for whatever animal I am aiming at. trully wicked, just wicked.
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I wax my string well but not the center serving. I spray my rail with jigaloo. i can't remember how many shots i have taken on my string since i went back to my carved tip limbs. I spect about 100 shots no wear showing. Factory dacron & hope to get about 500 shots til it needs reserved.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Welcome to the forum!
maple

Post by maple »

Hey Shawn!

Congrats on your new Phenix. We'll look forward to seeing you on the forum, when you're not out hunting.

Maple
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome to the Excal 'family' and forum! As you may be noticing, their simplicity allows for a varied amount of rituals, customs, concoctions, ect.

I'll add my two bits. A 'new' string settling in can make you chase your tail when sighting the scopes in. By that I mean minor variations in brace height while meaningless in hunting sized groups do show up in the scope sighting in process.
"Eze 18:21"
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Family :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]