Strictly Horizontal!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryDowdy

Strictly Horizontal!

Post by GaryDowdy »

I've been an archer most of my life. I started out in the late 70"s as a young boy with a recurve. In the early 80's -when compounds were legalized- My father bought me a Ben Pearson Bushmaster.

I've been an outdoor writer for the past 8 years and primarily write about archery and bowhunting. I wrote a review and a how-to article a few years back featuring an Excalibur Exomag; much to the dismay of some of my fellow bowhunters. Since then I've been tossed between my Hoyt and the Exomag. Which one to take out this trip? The more I study new gear and make recommendations I realize that crossbows not offer more simplicity than the top-tier modern compound bow. A top-tier Excalibur with accessories cost less than a high-end Hoyt or Mathews. I also like hunting the dead of winter without worrying about my heavy clothing contacting my bowstring, either. I shoot a compound bow as accurately as I do my crossbow, but can get multiple shots vertically- What has the advantage?

In my opinion, the crossbow offers greater challenge than a compound, cost less, and is much more traditional in design than modern compounds. Therefore, I cannot live a lie! I will follow my desires and go completely to the dark-side of crossbows!

Happy Hunt'n

Gary D. Dowdy
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Gary!Image
This was my first season with my crossbow. As I experienced the joys of carrying it around the woods, hefting it up my tree without taking out all the branches on the way, lowering it from my tree without ruining the scope, resting it on mono, bi, and tri-pods while in a ground blind and tree, maneuvering the limbs to clear windows and trees, etc. I came to the conclusion that, in some ways, a vertical is easier but I am deadlier with a crossbow. My strength level is not where it should be for a vertical bow.

I must admit that I never had as much fun shooting a vertical as I have had shooting my crossbow. I'm glad archery season is back for us. :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yes Gary they are more of a challenge to use than a vert bow. as well as more traditional..My buddy Bo found that out this year. He bought Riches xbow thinking that it was going to be easy to smooth right into..yes it has a scope and it feels like shooting a rifle but you have clearence issues and really one shot..sometimes you can get off another not to often. All in all you must first try one as you have and exsperiance the difference before one can judge the weapon. The COOL factor is up there. The xbow is a true survival weapon one could count on for many years to come..congrats and welcome to the darkside..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Congrats, Laura, I am glad you have found the joys of the archery experience! It's nice to take game, up close and personal, without breaking nature's silence!

Yes, sir, Hoss! I like Excalibur's recurve limbs; you can change strings and get back in the game quickly. Bill has a great company, producing THE top-tier crossbow that is accurate, powerful, and very user-friendly.

I can't see how anyone can spend a thousand dollars more for a Ten Point and get less than the Excalibur offers.
gogo

Post by gogo »

The beauty of the crossbow is that it allows people like myself with shoulder or arm problems an oppurtunity to hunt again. Thanks to the crossbow some of us are hunters again.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Only this season and one deer under my belt by which to make comparisons. Overall I think the advantage goes to the compound bow for the more "effective" hunting weapon. However, there is one big advantage I feel goes to the CB. Hunting from the ground, while not in a pop-up blind, is easier with the CB because you generally wouldn't have to make as much movement to get a shot off vs. the compound or trad bow. I prefer hunting from the ground but have gotten more shots off when tree stand hunting. So far with my Exocet I've only ground hunted.

Take care...
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Vertical bows these days look less and less like bows. Most crossbows still look very much the same. I like that. You can spend a fortune trying to keep up with the latest gear with vertical compounds.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

GaryDowdy wrote:Vertical bows these days look less and less like bows. Most crossbows still look very much the same. I like that. You can spend a fortune trying to keep up with the latest gear with vertical compounds.
Amen!

How much different archery is now compared to when I started in the early 60's. Today's compound bows are ugly!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I haven't shot a vertical Bow in yrs. & i never will hunt with one again. I hunt only with CB's!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

GaryDowdy wrote:Vertical bows these days look less and less like bows. Most crossbows still look very much the same. I like that. You can spend a fortune trying to keep up with the latest gear with vertical compounds.
I agree........... and Welcome to the DARK SIDE GaryDowdy :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Been a few years since I had a compound but would judge them about equal for hunting. Took longer for me to get really good with the vert compound but once I did was as good with it as with the crossbow. Crossbows may be easier to master but in hunting situations the pros & cons seem to equal out.

Let's not forget all vertical bows aren't the same... My last compound setup was a Mathews Feathermax with Beman arrows. A far cry from the eastern woodlands style hickory selfbows & rivercane arrows I took afield the last 5 years before shoulder problems made practicing an exercise in pain tolerance.

The Excaliburs are a nice blend of those two worlds- confidence & accuracy like the compound, rugged & simple like the primitive longbow (wooden bows taught me that "simple" & "easy" are not the same thing!)
Arkbow

Crossbows

Post by Arkbow »

When I started hunting 100% from the ground, the crossbow was the superior weapon of choice; then excalibur was the superior choice because of the ease to change strings {if needed} in the field along with its endless other advantages; crossbows do have some disadvantages but they have alot more going for them than against them;
I trully enjoy hunting from a ground blind and now that my grandchildren are getting to go with me{ granddaughter 6 grandson 5} the blind offers them to have a great time with grandpa; the crossbow will be their first experience with archery and as they grow older, I will let them make their choice on what weapon to hunt with;
The crossbow will be with me from now on as I enjoy it to the max; it is trully a wonderful weapon;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum Gary!

I shoot both, target shooting only with the compound the last few years. I like the crossbow when the december chill sets in. I dont miss pulling back the compound then :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

I hunted for years with the vertical bow and enjoyed it. Since I am older now it is more enjoyable to hunt with the xbow. The xbow has less things to purchase such as arrow rests,wrist straps,peep sights,weights etc.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

My point exactly, Radio! My Carter release-aid would've cost me $120.00 if I hadn't been a writer. The new Hoyt Carbon Matrix bow cost around $1600.00! The other high-end Hoyt's run around $900.00 and once fully outfitted the price jumps even more. I was used to shooting longer axle-to-axle bows, too. Now they're getting increasing shorter. I like not needing a Bowmaster bow press to change my string afield, and can get in shooting accurately much quicker afterward.