Got a visit from the Conservation Officer...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

Post by maple »

Saw one on the side of the road the other day as I was ready to put my duck boat in the water. I parked my car and went over to introduce myself and to make sure everyhting was OK.

He was there on a dead deer report, but still gave me the third degree.

All checked out, and I told him it was good to see them in the field doing game-law enforcement. There are always some SOBs who need to be leashed in.

Maple
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

My primary hunting area was targetted by game wardens and police this year. I was expecting it after a summer of redneck antics by a couple of the hunt camps up the road.

At one point we tagged a doe through the ear then we had to drag it quite a ways. In doing so we lost the tag. Later, on the way back to camp to hang the deer, the cops pulled my buddies over and kept them there for an hour as they called the game wardens to see what should be done about this. This was the first year we'd ever seen game wardens or cops up there. I do see them on the lake every weekend during the summer. Nobody gets past them!

It was good to see the crackdown this year but now we won't see them for another 20 years during the hunt. I'll admit I was extra careful all the time with every little gotcha rule and had even emailed the ministry beforehand with some questions about some new rules. I printed the answers because I ran I to the same problems as others have with getting different answers depending on who you talk to.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
peter p

Post by peter p »

huntman wrote:
Lets take for example ninepointer's example of having his firearm encased after legal shooting times. We have been stopped by CO walking back to our truck in the dark and had our guns UNLOADED but not encased and nothing happen. In Fact the CO didn't even mention anything about then not being encased he just checked to make sure they weren't loaded.

So what is the law on that??
Having your firearm encased half hour before and half hour after legal shooting time is one law I would like to see removed.

I just think it's a pain in the but to be lugging around a gun case.
I know you can get those gun socks but you better be careful because the whole firearm has to be in the sock and closed at the ends. The firearm cannot be visible at all.

I don't see what the big deal is carrying a firearm unloaded in the dark in the woods without it being encased.

I deer hunted in New York and the local hunters laughed at us when they seen us with our guns encased walking to our stands.
Apparently, they don't have to have them encased.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

My Lord, you have to case your guns?
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

huntman wrote: Apparently, they don't have to have them encased.
We don't have to unload them prior to sunrise or after sunset, either ... not in the woods or in the vehicle.

I can't believe the amount of restrictions and red tape you Canucks have to put up with. :? :(
Grizz
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I know my local Game wardens and I like them they do a good job and its a tough job. My hats off to them...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Arkbow

Game wardens

Post by Arkbow »

I have been checked many times and have never had a ticket; the local game warden don't even check me any more because he knows I abide by the letter; he will come by sometimes just to drink some sweet tea and talk. good to have them
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
DanO

Post by DanO »

Has anyone in Ontario been asked for their PAL and the gun registration certificate? I don't carry mine but I've wondered if I should.

I checked all the time because I fish alot as well as hunt. They usually show up when you least expect it.
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

peter p wrote:
huntman wrote:
Lets take for example ninepointer's example of having his firearm encased after legal shooting times. We have been stopped by CO walking back to our truck in the dark and had our guns UNLOADED but not encased and nothing happen. In Fact the CO didn't even mention anything about then not being encased he just checked to make sure they weren't loaded.

So what is the law on that??
Having your firearm encased half hour before and half hour after legal shooting time is one law I would like to see removed.

I just think it's a pain in the but to be lugging around a gun case.
I know you can get those gun socks but you better be careful because the whole firearm has to be in the sock and closed at the ends. The firearm cannot be visible at all.

I don't see what the big deal is carrying a firearm unloaded in the dark in the woods without it being encased.

I deer hunted in New York and the local hunters laughed at us when they seen us with our guns encased walking to our stands.
Apparently, they don't have to have them encased.
I agree. If a guy has bad intentions, having his gun encased isn't going to stop him.
I come by my name honestly.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I had a bad run in with one a few years back with a trout fishing incident. I passed two game wardens parked on the side of the road around the corner from where I was going fishing. It was a week before the trout season officially started but I was fishing a year round portion of the stream. I had the rugulations and three different maps of the area in my truck. I didn't give the wardens a second thought as I passed them because I wasn't doing anything wrong and I was on the Wildlife Management Area all legally. I parked, got suited up, and entered the river just upstream from the road and bridge. I had barely made my first cast when the warden walked up and asked me to come back to my vehicle. I told him it wasn't necessary I had my liscence on me. Again he told me to come to the vehicle. So out I come and as we are walking back to the truck he tells me I'm fishing in seasonal waters out of season. I corrected him and said this portion is year round and I had maps and regs in my truck to prove it. He ignored me and immediately started issuing a citation. I got out the regs and maps and again he ignored me and said I could go to court over it if I wished but the year round portion was downstream of the bridge. My correcting him again was to no avail! So I waited for my court date in refusal to pay the $117 fine. It wouldn't have mattered if it was 50 cents I would have fought it. The printed regulations were wrong with the roads. The road they had listed for the boundary didn't even cross the river :shock: I had to take a day off work to make the court date but did anyway. When our case is presented the warden walks up to the DA looks at the charge and says "lets just drop it" :evil: :evil: :evil: WHAT! I had all my proof and I was ready to argue! He wouldn't listen to me at the river and he didn't want to listen to me in court. But I spoke up anyway and told the judge of the errors in the regs and then the warden spoke up to admit they were wrong and that they were being corrected. Frustrated me to the fullest :evil:
Why ride when you can walk!
hiking

Post by hiking »

yes you got the rotten apple, I think less than 10%.
I've been checked plenty of times both fishing and hunting and only had one bad experiance in all those years. the 90% are very polite and respectful and treat you right.
I think they are doing a great job.
exocet 200
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

DanO wrote:Has anyone in Ontario been asked for their PAL and the gun registration certificate? I don't carry mine but I've wondered if I should.

I checked all the time because I fish alot as well as hunt. They usually show up when you least expect it.
Dan O.
Yes....... I have, it was a couple of years,, Had the CO's ask me for My Licence, PAL and registration.... I always have that information on me when hunting.. Especially your PAL.... would not hurt to throw it along with your registration certificate in your wallet... and I also use a gun sock when I am coming out of the bush at night, or going in early , works perfectly, plenty long enough to cover your gun, ( and is considered a legal case) and easily rolls up into my pack or even my coat pocket... I would not even chance not having it in my area... CO's can be pretty tough :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Sliver wrote:
DanO wrote:Has anyone in Ontario been asked for their PAL and the gun registration certificate? I don't carry mine but I've wondered if I should.

Dan O.
Yes....... I have, it was a couple of years,, Had the CO's ask me for My Licence, PAL and registration.... I always have that information on me when hunting.. Especially your PAL.... would not hurt to throw it along with your registration certificate in your wallet... and I also use a gun sock when I am coming out of the bush at night, or going in early , works perfectly, plenty long enough to cover your gun, ( and is considered a legal case) and easily rolls up into my pack or even my coat pocket... I would not even chance not having it in my area... CO's can be pretty tough :wink:
Interesting...as far as I am aware only the RCMP or OPP can enforce the Firearms Registration...and the OPP stated that they wont do it.

Co's have absolutely no ability to enforce federal law.

I have no issues with CO's or police doing their jobs...what I do have an issue with is law enforcement misleading people or exceeding their authority.
Last edited by XCaddis on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I couldn't live like that. I have a handgun on my at all times, when I'm not at work. I have a permit, but firearms registration is not mandatory in this country. I think some states do; the stupid ones. Very few, though.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Well, the conservation officer asked If I had it ? I did, but thats not to say that if I did not have it I would have been charged. I just carry it when I am hunting..... don't need the aggrevation that can be caused.... I hate the bs when I am out to enjoy the outdoors. So it's heres all my papers officer.... I have had the SOB walk right out to me in my stand, tell me to come down so he can see my liscense... and then say good luck after he checks me and starts to walk away.... well needless to say our visit went straight downhill at that point :evil: We have one particular CO in this area that is always trying to Exceed his authourity! he is a real PITA!
Last edited by Sliver on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife