Got a visit from the Conservation Officer...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I couldn't live like that. I have a handgun on my at all times, when I'm not at work. I have a permit, but firearms registration is not mandatory in this country. I think some states do; the stupid ones. Very few, though.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Well, the conservation officer asked If I had it ? I did, but thats not to say that if I did not have it I would have been charged. I just carry it when I am hunting..... don't need the aggrevation that can be caused.... I hate the bs when I am out to enjoy the outdoors. So it's heres all my papers officer.... I have had the SOB walk right out to me in my stand, tell me to come down so he can see my liscense... and then say good luck after he checks me and starts to walk away.... well needless to say our visit went straight downhill at that point :evil: We have one particular CO in this area that is always trying to Exceed his authourity! he is a real PITA!
Last edited by Sliver on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
DanO

Post by DanO »

Groundpounder, same thing happened to me in Ontario. The CO wrote me up for fishing closed water. When I got to court (after taking a day off of work and driving 2 hours) I explained the situation to the Justice of the Peace. He could see the landmark being used was ambiguous and he apologized on behalf of the CRown. Case dismissed! The regs have been changed since. The CO would not listen to reason that day and he was hoping I would just pay the ticket and not show in court. As I exited the court I commented that I would be back in that same spot next Saturday. And he commented, yeah and I'll write you up again and we'll do this all over again. Who needs laws? Harassment works as enforcement in some cases.

In most cases I have had no problems with law enforcement of any kind. Sometimes it's wise to listen to the person you're dealing with.

My son had an OPP officer insist on his PAL when he was exiting the bush with his crossbow. He tried to explain to her that you don't need a PAL for a crossbow. Her hackles started to stand up so he just complied with her wishes. I thought they weren't going to enforce the gun registry laws.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
greener

Post by greener »

Just a little info for Ontario Hunters using Firearms. Check out section 84(3) of the Criminal Code of Canada. Any RCMP , OPP or Municipal or Regional Police officer has authority to enforce the Criminal Code and regualtions made pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada. Further this section provides the definition of a firearm. The lady OPP officer should have known that a PAL is not required to possess a Crossbow as it does not conform with the definition of a firearm ( found under the definitions in sec. 84 CCC)
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

DanO wrote:Groundpounder, same thing happened to me in Ontario. The CO wrote me up for fishing closed water. When I got to court (after taking a day off of work and driving 2 hours) I explained the situation to the Justice of the Peace. He could see the landmark being used was ambiguous and he apologized on behalf of the CRown. Case dismissed! The regs have been changed since. The CO would not listen to reason that day and he was hoping I would just pay the ticket and not show in court. As I exited the court I commented that I would be back in that same spot next Saturday. And he commented, yeah and I'll write you up again and we'll do this all over again. Who needs laws? Harassment works as enforcement in some cases.

In most cases I have had no problems with law enforcement of any kind. Sometimes it's wise to listen to the person you're dealing with.

My son had an OPP officer insist on his PAL when he was exiting the bush with his crossbow. He tried to explain to her that you don't need a PAL for a crossbow. Her hackles started to stand up so he just complied with her wishes. I thought they weren't going to enforce the gun registry laws.

Dan O.
That's what several of my friends that are OPP have told me. There are always a few in every group that have to be asses.

My policy when dealing with officials in the outdoors is to handle every situation on a case by case basis...If they are pricks with me I return the favour...if they are just trying to do their job, I am always courteous. It's unfortunate, but I have found that you really need to know the letter of the law and what your rights are to keep the bad ones honest.
As I exited the court I commented that I would be back in that same spot next Saturday. And he commented, yeah and I'll write you up again and we'll do this all over again.
Wow...I would have filed a complaints with the MNR...and made a mission out of it... :-)
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
Czy Horse

Post by Czy Horse »

Couple years ago, up north, my then 9 year old son and I got caught up in Operation Bisco a combined CO bliz of the Bisco area, We got checked 3 times in 1 day.
1-On way to lake we got stopped - vehicle & boat was checked, bait minnows checked for evasive species, asked for fishing license, he asked my son how many guns we had, son gives me a questioning look and I replied we had none
2-Son and I setting up campsite, did not even have all the stuff out of boat. They checked out site, snooped around, asked how many fish we've caught. I got grumpy and said if he cared to snoop into the rod tube he would find we don't even have our fishing rods assembled yet, same guy asked for fishing license again.
3-Just before dark son and I are out to catch a couple fish for a before dark supper and 2 for breakfast. We had 3 on the stringer, the 4th was on the line and guess who comes racing across lake to check us out again. They checked out boat again, checked fish lengths, same guys asks for fishing license again. I'm getting real grumpy, then he asks my son how many fish we caught that day, I jumped right in and said that someone with his education should be able to count that high, you have them in you hand. He left in a grumpy mood.

Czy Horse
2009 - Excalibur Exocet 200 c/w Boo String
1988 - Excalibur Wolverine c/w Boo String
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

As I exited the court I commented that I would be back in that same spot next Saturday. And he commented, yeah and I'll write you up again and we'll do this all over again.
Talk about being an A$$ :evil:
I would have definitely gone over his head with that statement to have a complaint filed against him! When I have received speeding tickets in the past and known I was speeding I've been courteous to the officer knowing I was guilty. But when I know I'm right with something I will fight it at whatever the cost.

When I was exiting the court room the Warden told me that he hoped I had a good day. I told him I would and that I was going fishing! 8) I had already taken the day off and made the drive to that county.
Why ride when you can walk!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Here's a hint for those of you who have had bad experiences with wildlife officers and would like to see less unpleasant encounters:

Let your state or province know that you approve the current trend to relax maximum age limits for recruits.

For many long years, the paramilitary-style recruitment guidelines in many agencies set the maximum age limit as low as 30 in some states!

Now, that is changing, as is the overall emphasis of wildlife enforcement in many areas. Many agencies are now emphasizing public relations and education in an effort to promote hunting and fishing and recruit new sportsmen to grow our dwindling ranks.

Part of this effort includes accepting older individuals as recruits, so long as they pass the minimum physical standards. I spoke to a Virginia recruiter not long ago who said they had three men over 50 graduate from a recent recruit school and that they all passed with flying colors, and that he was sure they would make outstanding officers.

I suggest we all encourage our agencies to accept mature applicants who meet the standards. Being young has its advantages, but there are just as many to having gained a lot of life experience, wisdom, and cool-headedness ... as many departments have discovered. This is in fact a current trend in policing in general.

Being an officer isn't all running and wrestling. As a matter of fact, most of it isn't. Older individuals can make incredibly effective officers, when given a chance to get a start. Statistics are proving this, and the inside story is that many who begin as older recruits have really good attitudes with the public.

So ... be aware. Research your department's standards. Write a letter. Lobby your government. Things are changing ... for the better ... and you can be a part of it.
Grizz
xbhntr

C.O.s

Post by xbhntr »

Our deer party gets checked each year. I got a break, 2 separate cars spotted our group from the highway and pulled me over. I was riding on the back of a quad without a helmet. First he checked our guns , then licenses. He warned me about not having a helmet, and wrote down my name and phone because I didn't have my out door card with me. Though I had my controlled deer hunt card, both are required. A NICE BREAK, RAY. P. S. NO trucks this year, black fuel efficient cars.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Just a quick note to say that the one negative experience that I posted is just that, one officer on one day. I've been checked lots of times and never had any attitude or problem from MNR CO's on any other occassion. I do think I get a little bit more courteous treatment because I'm over 55. My son who is 28 hasn't had the same tone of questions on occassion. Age discrimination??

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

caddisi I think before you miis inform some people from Ontario you had better check your info. I took a trapping coarse this winter and that question came up. The CO informed us that the rules have changed and the CO has the authoriy to arrest anyone in violation of the laws . He also told us that you had better be upfront with them because they know what's going on before they even meet you in the field. "Treat me with respect and I will treat you the same. Screw with me and you wont like the outcome."He was a very honest individual and hunted, fished, trapped, etc. before he became a CO and knows what goes on out there.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

N8tr Boy wrote:caddisi I think before you miis inform some people from Ontario you had better check your info. I took a trapping coarse this winter and that question came up. The CO informed us that the rules have changed and the CO has the authoriy to arrest anyone in violation of the laws . He also told us that you had better be upfront with them because they know what's going on before they even meet you in the field. "Treat me with respect and I will treat you the same. Screw with me and you wont like the outcome."He was a very honest individual and hunted, fished, trapped, etc. before he became a CO and knows what goes on out there.
I don't about the enforement / jusdictional aspects but the retired CO that taught my son's hunter safety and firearms courses in September mentioned that he had recently been talking to his old CO buddies about this subject. They told him they weren't enforcing the gun registry. But that the cops could fine someone something like $4000 if they didn't have their registrations. In years past I never carried my registrations, frankly because no one was enforcing the registry and I had misplaced my registrations. Last fall I needed work done on a shotgun and my gunsmith told me he now needed the registration number to be allowed to work on the gun. I called the 1-800 number expecting to have to pay for the registrations but after I told them my sad story they sent me a package with all my registrations - for free!. I was pleasantly surprised that they changed the rules and that you can now carry photocopies in you wallet. It was stupid before when you were supposed to carry the originals and you weren't even allowed to plastisize them. Long story short, I carry them now.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

As far as COs enforcing or not enforcing federal laws goes: who enforces migratory bird laws? If it's not the COs then who is it? As much as I'd like to be, I'm not a duck hunter and honestly don't know. But I suspect it's the COs and if so, then they are mandated to enforce federal laws.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
new paradox

Re:

Post by new paradox »

XCaddis wrote:
Sliver wrote:
DanO wrote:Has anyone in Ontario been asked for their PAL and the gun registration certificate? I don't carry mine but I've wondered if I should.

I checked all the time because I fish alot as well as hunt. They usually show up when you least expect it.
Dan O.
Yes....... I have, it was a couple of years,, Had the CO's ask me for My Licence, PAL and registration.... I always have that information on me when hunting.. Especially your PAL.... would not hurt to throw it along with your registration certificate in your wallet... and I also use a gun sock when I am coming out of the bush at night, or going in early , works perfectly, plenty long enough to cover your gun, ( and is considered a legal case) and easily rolls up into my pack or even my coat pocket... I would not even chance not having it in my area... CO's can be pretty tough :wink:
Interesting...as far as I am aware only the RCMP or OPP can enforce the Firearms Registration...and the OPP stated that they wont do it.

Co's have absolutely no ability to enforce federal law.

I have no issues with CO's or police doing their jobs...what I do have an issue with is law enforcement misleading people or exceeding their authority.
i got stopped by COs in the bush and they siad that they can only cn
heck your hunting tags and that it.
TPM

Re: Got a visit from the Conservation Officer...

Post by TPM »

I don't about the enforement / jusdictional aspects but the retired CO that taught my son's hunter safety and firearms courses in September mentioned that he had recently been talking to his old CO buddies about this subject. They told him they weren't enforcing the gun registry. But that the cops could fine someone something like $4000 if they didn't have their registrations.
We had an issue this past year with a cop entering our range and giving a couple of members a hard time. A lawyer who deals regularly with firearms cases in the courts spoke to this issue at a subsequent club meeting and he assured us that while you must carry your PAL/POL you absolutely are not required by law to carry your individual registration certificates.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger