Got a visit from the Conservation Officer...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Got a visit from the Conservation Officer...

Post by ninepointer »

Monday was the first day of the late controlled (shotgun/muzzleloader) deer hunt in my area (WMU 89). I spent the entire day in the woods and when I returned to my truck in the evening darkness, a Conservation Officer was waiting for me.

He introduced himself pleasantly, but noted that I was somewhat late in coming out of the woods. Since my gun was encased as per the law and I explained how my travels had taken me far from my truck, he was satisfied.

He mentioned how he'd been waiting there about 15 minutes, scanning with his binoculars when he finally spotted me walking back across the long field. He politely recommended that it was time to replace my old "lucky" orange vest with a new one. It seems that the colour of my old vest, although it is clean, is a shade darker than "modern" blaze orange. Nevertheless he was glad I was wearing my orange, unlike another group of hunters he'd just dealt with who had only donned their orange as they came out of the woods :shock: .

The C.O. was a very nice guy and we had a pleasant chat while he checked my licenses and checked to ensure that my gun was unloaded :D .

This encounter reminded me how easy it is to be in violation. For example, I had left my bulky gun case in my truck and I had almost forgotten to bring my thin folding case into the woods with me. I could very easilly have found myself with an un-encased gun after legal shooting time.

I had also forgotten to check the exact sunset time, so its a good thing I didn't shoot at a doe I spotted just as I was about to pack up. The light was dim for my iron sights and the deer was farther than I liked under those conditions. Thinking back, it was likely a few minutes after legal shooting time. The CO would have heard my shot for sure.

In my hunting career, C.O.'s have been a rare sighting, so I was quite surprised and pleased to meet this fellow 8) .

I just wanted to share this to keep honest hunters honest and remind the bad apples that you never know who is watching.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I am checked regularly where I hunt and don't mind it at all. I think it is great to have a strong presence of enforcement. I have never had any trouble with a CO and they are always polite, but that may have something to do with the fact that I'm sure to have all my licences, etc. in order.

I have even had one guy go so far as to give me tips on where to connect with late season deer. :D His advice paid off with a fat doe one year.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
saxman

Post by saxman »

We call them Game wardens down here.
I don't know why,the deer arent in prison.

We have a GW in our club and he is very pleasnt as well but i have seen his mood change very quickly.
has to be a tough job.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

We'd better all be glad WEO's are out there ... whatever they're called in our neck particular "neck of the woods" ... because if they weren't, there wouldn't be any game to hunt. :!:
Grizz
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

We could see the white truck Monday morning from the barns we park near to hunt but he never came in to check my group of ten good point about comming out at dusk we have 5 deer so far :D hard go with the darn corn still up good luck to everyone out for the second round of controlled gun hunt!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have no problem being checked either. I believe its important to out sport. Our deer hunting group gets checked every year during the controlled hunt, my only problem with CO in general is the inconsistency that a hunter finds when speaking to a few about the same issue.

Lets take for example ninepointer's example of having his firearm encased after legal shooting times. We have been stopped by CO walking back to our truck in the dark and had our guns UNLOADED but not encased and nothing happen. In Fact the CO didn't even mention anything about then not being encased he just checked to make sure they weren't loaded.

So what is the law on that??
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

huntman wrote: So what is the law on that??
What ever the game warden says is "the law"

I have been checked many times over the years and I never had an unpleasant encounter with an EPO ( they are called Environmental Police Officers here) until last week when I called in a report of someone hunting with a shotgun in a bowhunting only area.

I had shot a doe earlier in the AM and put the tag in my wallet and dragged the doe to my stand. After calling in the shotgun hunter I offered to meet the EPO on the trail. When I left to meet him I took the tag out of my wallet and put it in my back pack which was 10'-15' from the deer. I thought I was following the new tagging requirements that are listed in the abstracts as: "The Kill Tag must be kept with your deer or turkey until it is processed for consumption. While transporting your kill, you may keep the Kill Tag in your pocket or wallet. However, if you leave the kill, the completed Kill Tag must remain with the animal." These tagging requirements are new this year.

The officer's interpretation of that is that "if you are more than 1 arms length away from the deer the tag must be attached to the deer." He gave me a verbal warning for "improper tagging" which he called in and this will now be on my record which was unblemished for 30 years of hunting.

If they want it on the deer just say so. That is the way it used to be before they went to the print your license and tags at home on your printer. Tags printed on printer paper don't hold up worth a crap, but it saves the state a pile of dough.

I never would have left the deer if I wasn't trying to help the EPO catch the shotgun hunter that was hunting in the bowhunting only area, not that it mattered to him. The EPO was way more interested in me than the call he was on. He wanted to see my paperwork before he even asked about the call he was on.

I will be filing a complaint with the DEP. I ended up feeling like a criminal for trying to help. Must have been the 1/2 mile walk in that pissed him off.

It just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished. I will never ever call in another report unless a life is in jeopardy.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
wabi

Post by wabi »

Never had a problem with a wildlife officer, or even a close call. :D

I've been checked fishing several times, but never checked while hunting.

We have the option to print our license & tags online, but if you print an online tag (deer or turkey) it must be filled out when a kill is made - but NOT detatched from the printed form or put on the animal. Instead you must print the required information on a seperate piece of paper and attach it to the animal (the same a a landowner does for a tag). It has caused quite a bit of confusion at the check station for me in the past, and I have mentioned this to the local wildlife officer. I told him that last year I just gave them my printed & completed internet tag to make them happy. He laughed and said that was fine, do whatever it takes to make them feel secure - just be sure I have the permanent metal tag in my possession. :wink:
wabi
gogo

Post by gogo »

I live in wmu 89A a conservation officer drove past my house early this morning , so they are still checking. If your doing what your suppose to do they wont bother you, if not you will pay the price.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

gogo wrote:If your doing what your suppose to do they wont bother you, if not you will pay the price.
Agreed. The C.O.'s that I have met have been polite but thorough. Any hunters who think they can be clever by playing games with tags, etc. are seriously mistaken. These C.O.'s have seen it all and have excellant bull$hit meters.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Some are great, and some are jerks. Fortunately, the jerks are few and usually in a hurry to get somewhere. I respect the job, and wish we had even more oversight of the resources we all enjoy.

I don't like the way some laws can be interpreted one way by one warden and another by another. How does one comply when that is the case ? You can't is the short answer.

My surf fishing club invited a warden to speak at a meeting. When asked about a simple rule, he gave us an entirely new answer. It was news to us and we asked about the rule some more. Later we asked individual wardens we met on the beach for their opinion. We got several different answers, to what should be an easy rule.

"Can we clean our fish on the beach ?"

Answers-
1. Yes, it is fine.
2. No, it is a violation.
3. Yes, if you are done fishing for the day.
4. No, even if you are done fishing for the day.
5. No, if you are fishing from a pier, but yes if from the beach.
6. Yes. But you must keep the carcas with the fillets to prove lengths and species.

So.....we never clean our fish on the beach. Because you never know which warden will show up. There are lots of rules like this down here in Florida.

Another one...you have to have a salt water license to fish in salt water, and a fresh water license to fish in fresh water. But....you have to have a salt water license to fish in fresh water if you catch this kind of fish. So it is very easy to get caught in violation, even if you are pure of motive and deed.

Not every person cited is a criminal. There are plenty of good people that get snared by complicated or unclear rules. But when an obvious violation has occured, or if you are in danger, it is so very nice to know they will lay all their bananas on the line. We need them warts and all.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hate to admit this but i got fined for 2 many lines while ice fishing many years back. I made some homemade tip downs for a buddy & got bored while i was out & set the balance on them (with no bait of course). As I was pulling them up to put them away BAM CO is licking his chop's getting the ticket book out. No breaks on Mtchell's bay ever. Worst part was I had 1 perch in my bucket...

I did not blame him he did his job... :(
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Most of my experiences with wildlife officers have been good. The best I have run into have been in Texas and Ohio. The Ohio guys are really good and have booths at most wildlife shows and make themselves readily available to answer questions and promote the sport. The officers in Kansas are also very good.

The very worst of all time was one in Argentina that was corrupt and looking for a bribe. But South America is nothing like North America and that type of stuff goes on all the time.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Due to budget problems, (read: overspending) the Governor laid off lots and lots of game wardens. They are now the newest endangered species here in Illinois. I used to see those big green SUV's and pickups all the time but lately they are real scarce. Breaks my heart. 8) Gary
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great post!
Very happy to hear it was a pleasant experience, sounds like you did everything right. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string