vapredhunters first predator hunt of the season WooHoo BCD

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vapredhunter

vapredhunters first predator hunt of the season WooHoo BCD

Post by vapredhunter »

My brother and I made our first night hunt tonight we took a good friend who has never been predator hunting. He had been chomping at the bit to go with us so we set him up as the trigger man. I did the calling and my brother worked the light. First stand nothing, second stand called in a fox with no shot. Two more stands and nothing the weather wasn't helping windy and full moon.

So we had decided to hang it up for the night. Loading the stuff in the truck we said lets try I more spot. We pick a spot that was on the way home it has never produced a kill but we had called a couple of grays and one red in the past. We set up started calling and calling and just when we were getting ready to throw the towel. A set of eyes come bounding down the edge of the field. He stopped about hundred yards out but we had a good man on the gun. My brother lite him up with the light and Walt hit him dead center of the chest.

What a way to end a not so good night and Walt is now hooked this experince shouldn't cost him more than a couple thousand dollars in gear. :grin:

[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) That sounds kind of interesting . What caliber do you`s use for shooting at night ? :)
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

.223 or .204 mostly
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

How do you set up at the spot? How do you see the prey coming in? Never done it, sounds like a load of fun.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Looks like a nasty yote, congrats get a bunch more of them!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Summer,

It depends on the spot. Some we hunt from the ground, some we use my trailer stand, last night we were using my little tripod stand. There was three of us last night Walt was on top the tripod as tghe gun man I was calling while my brother ran the light. Most of the time its just my brother and I its hard to do by yourself.

Now the light we use has a red lense and a dimmer so we can turn the intensity down. Predators are color blind so they can't see the red light but it lights up there eyes like reflectors. We keep the light dim and scanning the entire time we are calling. This lets us see the predators moving in and the light acts as our cover keeping them from seeing us. Kind of like when we look into the sun the only thing you see is the sun until you look away. So as long as we keep them in the halo of the light and don't burn them with the high intesity light until you are ready to shoot youre are good.

Add a little bunny rabbit blues and some unlucky bird sounds and youre predator hunting. Sounds easy enough just dont forget they have noses also :shock:

Don't forget to checkyour local game laws for night hunting some have weird rules.

And once your hooked it will be and endless pit you throw money into that coyote cost about 164.00 dollars a pound i figure :lol: But its a lot of fun I'd almost rather go predator hunting then deer hunting sometimes

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Man! That is a SET-UP!

You got a new hunting buddy next time I'm in Virginia. :P
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Congrats on the yote.
That trailer is absolutly awesome! I will be picking up the steel to build mine tomorrow. Thanks. :D
And the .204, nice choice!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
flbuckmaster

Re: vapredhunters first predator hunt of the season WooHoo BCD

Post by flbuckmaster »

alot of the disabled deer hunters in florida use a similay rig for deer hunting. works great!
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

sweet. Thats a nice set up. I could be the driver on that one. :)
lscha

Post by lscha »

Really nice!! Congratulations, too!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Thanks guys and ladies, the trailer was a long project it took a summer of weekends too build then some more weekends too paint. Its also great for deer and ground hog hunting.

Summer, we would be glad to take you sometime if your in the area.