Trail-Cam Suggestions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

phil

Trail-Cam Suggestions?

Post by phil »

Hello all, today one of my trail cams broke. :cry: The flash no longer works. This is my 2nd trail cam to malfunction in 2 yrs with both warrantees just having expired! They are the stealth-cam predator 5.0, and the wildview 2.0. After calling stealth-cam, they said the best they can do is for me to send it back and they can replace it for a refurbished one at a discounted price. :evil: With my on line coupons, I can replace it for a new one at the same price from Cabelas! Needless to say, im done with stealthcam!
Any suggestions on one to buy that will last more then a yr? Also, what are your feelings/experiences with the ones with a flash as opposed to the infrared in spooking mature deer?
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
hiking

Re: Trail-Cam Suggestions?

Post by hiking »

I have 3, all homemade. they work great and no issues, but I think now you can buy cameras just as good and for about the same price to make them.
you just need some input from the users on this board.
exocet 200
huntone

Post by huntone »

I have two Bushnell Trophy cams and have had problems with one of them.
Sent it back and got a new one from them, it took a month. However they have a two year warranty and they seem to stand by it.

I also have some of the old Cuddleback cameras that are very high quality.
Haven't had a problem with any of them and they are about four years old.
If I were only wanting one camera I would get the highest quality I could.

I have seen deer spook a little with the IR Trophy cams, while the camera is in the video mode and have seen them bothered a little with the camera in the camera mode. I have a video of the deer if I can post it.

Here is a great link for reviews and a informative forum to check out.http://www.chasingame.com/

I hope this works, Spooked deer
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv32 ... 000263.flv
Last edited by huntone on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I've heard good things about the Scoutguards. I just picked one up and plan on putting it out tomorrow. I did make a steel bracket for it to hopefully keep the thieves at bay. Also scored a camo python lock for 12 bucks on clearance.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I have had good luck with Moultries. I40 and D40
diesel

Post by diesel »

Where are you? I replaced a flash for my brother in his wildview camera ; If you want I bet I can replace the flash for you as well. if you go to Hag's house they are selling some good home brew cameras to raise money for a good cause.

There is the link;
http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4
wabi

Post by wabi »

I bought a Bushnell Trophy cam this fall and it works very well.
The key features I was looking for was IR night pics and long battery life.
It uses 8 AA batteries and with rechargable NiMH batteries it works to suit me. I change 4 of the 8 every couple of weeks and it has been taking pics for over 2 months now with no interruptions.
I just pulled the card today after putting 8 new "hybrid" Duracell NiMH batteries in it and with 325 pics on the card it was still showing battery level at the same mark as when I started.

(I am going to buy more of the "hybrid" NiMH batteries in the future! They are supposed to hold their charge much longer - up to a year - and they can be used right out of the package without charging)
wabi
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I have 2 of the wildview cameras which I have had for about a year. I have had no problems with mine. I got the pair for $100.00 from Can-Tire on sale. If you want some good comparisons check out chasingame .com. They do independent tests on a variety of cameras. TC
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

My cudde back has been outside hanging from trees for over 4yrs, never bring it in, never had a problem. Still takes great pics and the trigger speed is great, battery life is good also but have nothing to compare it to. Think I would try IR Cudde back if I ever get another. Hope this helps, Crispy
Crispy
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Cuddeback Capture(not IR model)

Bushnell Trophy Camera

either of the above would be a good inveestment in the 199.99 range and willlast for a good while. I have 9 captures and 2 trophy cams and none have had issues. The trophy cam seems to handle battery life best with 4-5 months on average. The Capture is getting 3-4 months which is plenty for me! Beats most cams that might give you 1 month battery life :cry:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have a bushnell trophy and a stealth cam ir ...the bushnell has great battery life and quick trigger speed so far so good .....i have had the stealth replaced 2 times now ..seems to be working ok now but we'll see..it has very slow trigger speed ..had somebody up to no good by my stand on a 4 wheeler but the camera wasn't quick enough to pick up the culprit but i did have the time he or she went by..... if i would have had the bushnell there i would have 3 pics of the cilprit ..stealth is a pig on batteries ... believe it or not ...i do like both cams
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

For a little over 200.00 bucks you can get 2 moultrie d40 with 2yr warranty from bass pro, I have no prob with any of my moultries and good pics

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
phil

Post by phil »

..thank you all for your advice!...i think i will pass this info along to my wife for x mas :D ...i will try and replace my flash in my broken one too!
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I bought a Highlander that took film quite a while ago and it worked okay. I bought a Moultrie a couple of years ago when I went digital and it worked okay for a coulple of years but the sensor seems to be getting slow now. Might go homebrew next time. Gary
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you want, do a search for my name and cuddeback capture or trophy cam. I have more than enough pics posted to help you make up your mind if images speak for themselves :D

you will get quite a few blank pics with the trophy cam. The capture is the only camera ive used that 98% of the time it has a deer in perfect view for the show. Some even in mid jump :D

most cameras work ok and will get you a picture so any will do the job. Each brand will have a few bad apples in the bunch also. I just hate seeing people get sub 100 buck cameras which work for 2 weeks and then they get a bad idea about trail cameras. Granted, some of those 100 buck cams could outlast the top of the line ones:-P But its a 50/50 chance