Bow hunting in Muzzel Loader season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbuck

Bow hunting in Muzzel Loader season

Post by bigbuck »

Hi everyone.
Can anyone help me out, I am wondering if you are aloud to bow hunt in muzzel loader season. Some say yes, some say no, and some say yes but you need to wear orange.

Thanks for your help
TPM

Re: Bow hunting in Muzzel Loader season

Post by TPM »

Depends where you are. What WMU?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Adam

Post by Adam »

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/239849.pdf

Page 59 should point you in the right direction. For my WMU bow season is always closed for the controlled hunts. I know it sucks but gives you a week or two to move some stands around if need be. I dont think I would want to be in the bush hunting solo with some of the wahoos I have seen in my area.
roly

Post by roly »

I hunted in 67 last week during M/L week
We did some drives and there were several people there using CB's
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Orange is mandatory unless you are waterfowl hunting if a controlled hunt is in progress.
This past controlled I called the MNR to see if I could use my bow instead of my shotgun, they did not ask what WMU I was in, but said no. I reminded them I had a tag for that particular controlled and the answer was still no. Again, I did not specify where I was.
It may vary from WMU to WMU, but I don't know, that was my phone call last week.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

In Virginia muzzleloading and archery season are open at the same time.
You can carry both a muzzleloader for bucks and a crossbow for either sex
if you don't get confused on which is for what. :lol:
Tenn.

Equinox
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Tenn. Equinox wrote:In Virginia muzzleloading and archery season are open at the same time.
You can carry both a muzzleloader for bucks and a crossbow for either sex
if you don't get confused on which is for what. :lol:
Here we have "controlled hunts" in some WMUs (Wildlife Management Units) in the province. These hunts usually coincide with the traditionally accepted weeks of the peak ruts (1st & 2nd rut). To participate during those hunts you need to apply for a special permit - in addition to purchasing your regular deer license which you need to use for any deer harvested during the controlled hunt. Also, as I understand it, you may only apply for one controlled hunt - so since I applied for the shotgun/muzzleloader hunting for the 1st week of Nov. I was unable to hunt during this past week's muzzleloader/archery controlled hunt. If you do not apply for and receive a permit for a controlled hunt you may not hunt during that period.

Also, to add to the confusion, in some WMUS the shotgun or muzzleloader hunts end on Saturday (no Sunday gun hunting), but the regular archery season doesn`t open again until the Monday following the `no-hunting-at-all-for-anyone Sunday`... :roll:

And.... you can`t carry two different hunting arms - you would need to decide on one.

It`s a bit crazy. Welcome to Ontario where you apparently need to enroll in a 5 credit course to be able to understand enough of the legislation to hunt legally.

Sometimes I think that the money generated by permit sales goes toward printing the reams of paper required to disseminate the information every year! Sigh.... :roll:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote:It`s a bit crazy.
I'd say! :? :roll:

We have several weeks of bow season, two weeks of muzzleloader season, and once gun season begins here, it's any legal weapon you like, straight through New Year's Day.

All you need is an orange cap.

Simple. :D
Grizz
roly

Post by roly »

Last week we had a 70 year old man that got fined because his orange wasn't orange enough and did not cover 400 cm of his body.

but I did learn that , You must wear orange on your head.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

VixChix wrote: Welcome to Ontario where you apparently need to enroll in a 5 credit course to be able to understand enough of the legislation to hunt legally.
I'll say! You guys need to find a lawyer to hunt with you just to understand all the regulations and permits you must have.

On second thought, I hunt with a lawyer here in Ohio.

Never mind.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

i was huntig in the bow and muzzel season last week around Lindsay in Durham region .it was open for both.