Vari-Zone scope accessory

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

Vari-Zone scope accessory

Post by shafferm »

The stock #4 blizzard caps that fit the VZ scope never worked well for me, they fit on the scope, barely. You cannot push them up tight against the scope or they will not close, they pop open easily when they sit out this far from the scope, and the clear section of the scope cap blocks some of the light from entering the scope when they are flipped closed. They worked so poorly in fact that I took them off the bow until I could figure out some way to get them to fit properly.

The first step was to figure out what larger size of blizzard cap to use that would not cover up any of the scope when they were flipped shut. The #7 blizzard caps do this quite nicely. Now to get the caps to fit onto the scope I needed to build a plastic spacer that would be a slight press fit on the scope and the outside would match the #7 caps. With some measuring and work on the lathe I had built the fix to my problem. The plastic that I used first was nylon that was dark grey and once I was satisfied that it worked I switched to a black delrin plastic that matches very closely to the black color of the scope.

The front spacer weighs about 15.09 grams and the rear weighs 16.01 grams, the #7 blizzard caps weigh 13.05 grams apiece, the old nonfunctional #4 caps weigh 11.42 grams. This puts my total weight (2 spacers and 2 #7 blizzard caps) at 57.2 grams or right around 2 ounces. The best 2 ounces that I've added yet.

Using these now I can push them up tight to the scope, they stay tightly closed and I am no longer blocking part of the scope when the caps are flipped down for bad weather.

Not sure if any of you folks would want a set, I built 3 extra sets when I built the first batch, if there is enough interest then I could look into getting a small production run produced.
Attachments
capadapter3.jpg
capadapter3.jpg (185.31 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
capadapter2.JPG
capadapter2.JPG (178.6 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
capadapter1.JPG
capadapter1.JPG (167.99 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
awshucks

Re: Vari-Zone scope accessory

Post by awshucks »

Ahh, yet another level of 'tweaking'. Congrats, sounds like a winner!
"Eze 18:21"
PRB

Re: Vari-Zone scope accessory

Post by PRB »

Good work you have there. If I had the scope I might take you up on it. Thanks for the offer.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!