EXCALIBUR KIDS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

EXCALIBUR KIDS

Post by one shot scott »

Hello everyone, I have a question for those of you who have a son/daughter who has or is shooting a compound bow. Excalibur kids (canada) is happy to be helping out our first canidate who is 12 years old. Forum member roly was generous enought to donate quite a bit of items, some of which included a compound bow. Problem is I believe the draw may be too much for him. Its 65 pound draw. Im looking for feedback on what a kid of this age may be able to pull, bearing in mind that all 12 year olds are not equal. Some can pull more than others naturally. Just a general idea is needed. And of course we would be more than willing to accept any donations from any members who may be generous enough to consider a donation to excal kids. We are looking forward to setting this boy up, and getting him out in the woods enjoying what we all love!

Thanks for your input!

Neil.

Also, if anyone has some "how to" hunting books or magazines, please pm me or any of the other excalibur kids volunteers. If there is someone near the Hamilton area I can pick them up. Thanks, Neil
wheelie

Re: EXCALIBUR KIDS

Post by wheelie »

I can,t even pull that kinda weight back. I would think about20- 30 lbs would be more than a kid that age could handle. you get to much weight and shooting practise become no fun. Just a thought, Canadian tire has a package bow there for kids, think it is 119 dollars. Check into that and if you think it would be suitable I would through in $25. towards it. Just lend the bow and tell kid someday when he moves up give us the bow back for another kid. Just a thought.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... BYouth.jsp

Thats the main reason people don't practise much when they get a bow that is to heavy of a pull. Who wants to practise if you can only pull it back 5 or 6 times then you aim goes out the window cause your arms are tired. Just my opinion only and I am certainly no expert on the subject. My 15 year old can't even budge my string at 55 pounds.

Bow below looks good at 35 pounds. Kid can practise pulling it back at 35 pounds till he or she gets used to it. I did that all last winter to build my arm strengh for my new hoyt.
Last edited by wheelie on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
lscha

Post by lscha »

Remember that I have a compound in the inventory too.

GOLDEN EAGLE EVOLUTION 36 ADV 1995
65% FF WHEEL R/H
draw weight 35-50
draw length 22-26
string 49.5
nice spring arrow rest.
limb silencers
cable guard
tracking string
extra cams and hardware
quiver/6 carbon arrows
original instruction book
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

lscha - Nice donation you made. Would be a super bow for a kid. If our US friends don't mind giving it up to there Canadian friends. :) :) I have extra releases here I could send.
Attachments
CIMG0707.jpg
CIMG0707.jpg (133.51 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

lscha wrote:Remember that I have a compound in the inventory too.
Rest assured Laura we have in no way forgotten your most generous offer! :)

We hope to keep your bow in reserve for a child here south of the border due to shipping costs associated with sending it to Canada.

We are trying to help this deserving twelve year old boy experience what we all so dearly love, archery deer hunting. There are no finances available to this young man to realize his dream.

We are really in need of a low power bow or youth bow for this young man. Of course, a crossbow would really be the ultimate if we can acquire one.

We have experienced tremendous support from the forum members in Canada regarding donations to Excalibur Kids. The list of donations is long and we are most appreciative. We are just missing this one key ingredient to make this child's dream come true.

We really need a generous Canadian to step forward.
roly

Post by roly »

Neil I'm sure one of my buddys has a youth bow

I will shame him into giving it to me. :wink: :)
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

hi all just talking to a very good customer of mine in the haliburton area who knows where to contact for a compound bow . please pm the info whether the child shoots right or left , and the size needed . thanks paul.