Making My Own Stock for My Vortex..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bow4it

Making My Own Stock for My Vortex..

Post by bow4it »

I have seen some people here making their own stocks and thought I would give it a try. I guess you can say I am a wood worker since am a wood shop teacher. I do things a little different than the old style woodworker. I have a complete shop in my basement, but I also have some new technology tools as well. I have a 3D laser scanner and a CNC machine and some pretty high tec computer software that I use for creating custom guitar bodies and many other carved products. I started off by taking a scan of my vortex stock. I imported that data into the computer and I am currently working on one half of the stock since it is symmetrical. This was the easy part. Now i want to make some changes and want a little advice. I will try to attach a pic to look at.

I think that the forearm of the stock is too big and bulky(blue line) and the hand grip of the stock is too thin for wood (red area) The butt of the stock is a little thin as well(green Area). The Excalibur logo will be removed(sorry Bill, but I will promise to add it somewhere else) and replaced with something special.(Did not decide on that yet)

I would like some opinions,advice or options that you would think would be worthy to add to this project. I am considering on making the forearm shorter. I am also considering scanning another stock butt that is a bit thicker. I can then merge the two entities together to create one file.

Any comments are welcome......
Attachments
vortex stock.jpg
vortex stock.jpg (55.71 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
SPITFIRE

Re: Making My Own Stock for My Vortex..

Post by SPITFIRE »

Way over my head. :D Looks like you have it under controll. Can't wait to see the end result. Good luck.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

A tweaker with high-tech tools! I love it!!!

If you plan on shaving down the forestock, please keep in mind that it was (probably) made that way to help keep fingers out of the path of the string. Maybe you could cut it down but add a lip at the top of it so your fingers will feel the lip before they move up on to the rail. The butt stock is an area that can be shaved to save weight so most manufacturers do. If you want to bulk it up the bow will be heavier but it could be esthetically pleasing. I'm looking forward to what you come up with!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
munch

Post by munch »

looks like you have some neat tools.my sons phoenix has that stock it's nice your fingers don't get in the way of the string(mine have and it hurts )just wonder if a guy could add a small wing near the top so your fingers don't slide up if that makes sense .look forward to see your stock
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
bucont

Post by bucont »

I agree with the forearm. I was thinking of reversing the contour something like this section.

Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

That's what I was thinking!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
bucont

Post by bucont »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:That's what I was thinking!
Yeap, just thought a picture would help ... Only issue is the wood grain and thin wood condition up the sides.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Take a look of the Mark Heneger stocks some of the ppl have here. I want to get one made fer my vixen in case you would like an order!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bucont

Post by bucont »

bow4it

What cad / cam software are you running?
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
bow4it

Post by bow4it »

I use a combination of a few. Solidworks, Vectorworks and Corel. ArtCam Pro is the main software used for most of my 3D work and processing the g-codes. If there is any Cad junkies here, I got a CNC mill at home and seven at work. I also have a 3D printer. I already used the 3D printer to print a few prototypes and that helps a ton. I do plan on having a wildlife scene carved into the butt of the stock and a basket weave or fish scale on the hand grips.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I looked into getting a CNC mill for home, what model do you have?
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
bow4it

Post by bow4it »

I have a Shopbot at home and one at work. I also have 3 Techno - isel mills at work and some others. Shopbot is the way to go.
bucont

Post by bucont »

Shopbots are pretty good machines, what model do you have?

I run bob cad / cam, along with a CNC masters vertical out of the garage.

I have really been thinking about adding a CNC router.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
bow4it

Post by bow4it »

Well I have been teaching for 15 years. I started teaching the CNC field for about 11 years. After seeing what I could do with the machine and software, I purchased my own equipment for the house in 2003. I will never claim to be the best at anything, but from my experience it is not the machine. It is the software and how you use it. I have Bob Cad and it is a cheaper software that can do some cool things. Master Cam is way too difficult to use to do the simple things. (Ihave that at work as well) ArtCam Pro................expensive ($8,000) , but wort every penny.

Back to the stock. I agree that the fingers need to be protected. The thin wall around the rail is not really needed. I have been looking at many other stocks and they are all held on by screws from the bottom as well. I think the thin walls can be eliminated. The idea of a added lip is not a bad one. If you really look at the design of the x-bow, the stock really does not add to the accuracy of the bow. The rail can be fixed to a 2x4 and it would fire the same. The stock is a comfort item and it can be changed. I am not too concerned about weight. If you carry around 8 pounds, 9 pounds is no big deal. My wood of choice is walnut and maple. Walnut is strong and a real beauty to look at. Maple is even stronger and holds a carving like no other. Once you see a prototype of a carving, you will understand. I really like detail. I am on x-mas break for 14 days and will work on some designs. All of the input is good stuff.

Thanks......
bucont

Post by bucont »

Yeap, I agree the software is very important for sure, however IMO the machine is just as important.

I have worked on many machines and cad systems in my 32 years as a trades person, I have seen a ton of failures in software and machines to say the least. The Software industry has come along way and Powermill is one of the best programming tools I have seen. It eliminates the programmer completely and puts the program in the operators hands at the machine. It carries a huge price tag however that is more than I paid for my first home, but it pays for itself in the machining industries.

Bob Cad is a hobby version of a cad system for sure. BC V23 is head and shoulders above what it used to be just two versions ago. The biggest down fall with the setup I have is the ability to digitize. My prior machine was able, this one is not therefore a Shopbot may be the cards in the near future if I can run into a deal. I have a fair bit of time in stock drawings to date and digitizer would have made it allot easier for me for sure. Good thing it is only hobby or I would have lost my shirt. :shock: :lol:

Good luck with your project over the holidays. Have a great Christmas.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA