13 point 169 inch monster. In my eye's anyway

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

13 point 169 inch monster. In my eye's anyway

Post by catcher »

Well i took this week off work to spend with family and do a little hunting. :) Ok a lot of hunting. :lol: I had some close calls but the bucks were avoiding me. On Tuesday I had 6 deer coming my way and 2 coyotes came out and ran them off :evil: I vowed for revenge on the buggers. I waited to till the sun set and no more deer came in. So I headed home for the day. Wednesday I was in the stand at 2:30 and a balmy -11 out. At about 3:15 I see movement about 100 yards off or so and realize it is a coyote and he is heading my way. click the safety on the crossbow is off. He comes behind me and gets to about ten yards and he just knows somethng is not right. So he turns and heads away from me. I had one opening at 33 yards. As soon as he crossed it I mouse squeaked and he stopped and looked over his shoulder. And crazy farmers bolt was on its way. I pinned him double lungs and he ran about twenty yards and pilled up along the swamp. :) So I was excited about that hunt and settled in for the rest of the afternoon n casea deer showed it self. Then about 4:05 I hear foot steps coming in the snow and look and see a little 8 pointer coming straight for me. And right behind him about 40 yards back all I see is horns coming through the woods. Talk about my heart trying to jump out of my clothes. I am trying to convince myself to calm down and it is not working. The closer he got the more nervous I got. Then the little buck stopped and the bigger buck caught up to him and they tinkled horns for a minute which was cool to see. They were not smashing each other just lightly tapping each other. Then the little buck starts to walk to me and the big buck was following right behind him. The little guy passed at about 22 yards and the big buck stopped at 30 yards and I was going to shoot him then but held off. Then after about a minute he walked forward and gave me a 20 yard broadside shot. I settled the scope on the crossbow right behind the shoulder and let an arrow fly. Then it is a blur. He took off out of sight and I start second quessing my shot. It felt good but I have a terrible habit of pulling my head up to see were I hit the deer after a shot. And of course you never can. So I gave him an hour before I got down from the stand. When I went to where he was when I shot him there is blood everywhere and the trail is easy to follow. It is spraying out 3 feet everywhere and he only went about 70 yards or so before he went down. Man there was no ground shrinkage on this walk up. If anything he got bigger. And of course it was the one hunt I did not bring my fourwheeler with me. So I had to go home and get the bike and help. Man this buck has mass he has 6 inch bases and 13 points and very cool bladed brow tines. And he has a kicker on his one side off the G2. I put the tape to him last night and I come up with 169 gross and he weighed 185 pounds. What an early christmass gift for me. I love to see all the countless hours scouting is paying off. the first pic is the coyote I got. I took that pic this morning after I got up and the other pics of the deer are at the spot were I found him. :) Good luck to all that are after whitetails still.

Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
huntman

Re: 13 point 169 inch monster. In my eye's anyway

Post by huntman »

great buck congrats.... you did it again! 8) :wink:
lscha

Post by lscha »

He's a beauty in my eyes too!! :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats again, wahooo he has some wicked brow tines. That pt alone gives him big amount of rack character in my book!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WHOA! You've gone and done it again!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Congratulations!!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
phil

Post by phil »

Wow!...you made 2 beautiful shots there!..what a buck!..congrats to you and your early christmas present!
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
saxman

Post by saxman »

I keep telling you,you've got to let the little ones walk if you ever want to shoot a decent deer catcher.
I'll keep working with you.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Congrats my friend :D :D
What time is it?
Time to call the taxidermist.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bowaholic

Post by bowaholic »

Very nice buck!! Congrats and good shooting on the yote!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Thats a good one. A real good one. Canada has some hogs. Nice buck!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Great buck two super shots.
FJB

Post by FJB »

:D :D WOW!!! :D :D
frisky

Post by frisky »

That is a beauty. :D The years since I joined the forum you have got some BIG deer. Do you hunt the same area every year?
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

What a Great Christmas Presant. Congrats...

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
catcher

Post by catcher »

saxman wrote:I keep telling you,you've got to let the little ones walk if you ever want to shoot a decent deer catcher.
I'll keep working with you.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Congrats my friend :D :D
What time is it?
Time to call the taxidermist.
I was leaving this guy for you. But since you never come up and take me up on my offer. I had to shot him for you. :lol: :lol:
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
catcher

Post by catcher »

frisky wrote:That is a beauty. :D The years since I joined the forum you have got some BIG deer. Do you hunt the same area every year?

I have a few farms that I hunt. I scout and scout and scout and when I think I know where the big boys are I scout some more. I might just move a camera for 200 yards a then see big deer and 200 yards away nothing. My wife says I am cheating using cameras. I admit it I have a big antler addiction problem. :oops: I let a lot of 2 and 3 year old bucks walk. And every time I think as it is walking away. I hope I did not make a mistake there. :lol: :lol:
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings