New Kid needs info!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

popabuck

Re: New Kid needs info!

Post by popabuck »

Hey!! Welcome aboard! You will find a wealth of information here.... all good people with lots of good advice and good laughs...
Cross bow - EXCALIBUR ALL THE WAY!!!
gogo

Post by gogo »

Welcome Aboard, I have a phoenix crossbow and Im thrilled with it. Fire away with questions the good folks here are always eager to help.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Welcome!! you made the right choice by asking here!now that you know the make of crossbow you want any of them that excalibur sells will do what you want for deer and turkey it comes down to your personal preference happy hunting :D
The best things in life are not things!!
gogo

Post by gogo »

Mr T I chose the phoenix for two reasons, I bought the phoenix with the package for a good price, Having shoulder problems I may be able to cock the crossbow by hand in a pinch the heavier models I would have no chance, and the phoenix will take down deer or turkey as well as any model.
Dunn14

Post by Dunn14 »

I bought my xbow and everything else I have for bowhunting at Huron Sports Outfitters in Kippen, its 35-40 minutes north of london.
Here is a link to his website
http://www.huronsportsoutfitters.com/
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Welcome to the Forum :) I chose the Exocet 200. I chose it because it was in the middle of the pack with speed and the middle of the pack for price. If your looking for accessories: if you can think of it, someone on here makes it, sells it, or can steer you in the right direction to get it. Crossbows, Sights, Bolts (Arrows), Strings, Stocks, Quiver mounts, whatever, you can find it here. Keep an eye out on the Trading Post. I sell my quiver mount on there.
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well you can read all about each model on the Home Excal site. As to why each of of us pick a certain model just personal choices. I have shot the Emax, Vortex, Exocet 200, Phoenix & Vixen. I have owned the Exocet 200, Phoenix & Vixen. Might like to own the Ibex but funds are real scarce right now. I still own the Vixen carved tip limb model & a 07 Phoenix. I do most of my hunting with Vixen its just easier on my torn-up old body & i can cock up in the climbing stand in less than a min using rope cocker fer another shot if given the chance.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I love my Excalibur Exocet and wouldn't own anything else. Being able to "uncock" it easily wit the cocking rope is a big bonus for me as one of the states I hunt in as legal hunting ends at sunset. When I am done I just "uncock" the xbow and walk out to the truck.

Crossbows are not a one size fits all type of thing. The best thing that you can do for yourself is head down to a place like Cabela's, Bass Pro, or another shop where you can cock and fore several different types of crossbows. When my dad decided to get back into archery hunting he shot my Exocet and he liked it fine but I insisted that we go down to Cabela's and try some others and he ended up buying the Parker HP Terminator. It just felt better in his hands.

Welcome aboard,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
diesel

Post by diesel »

first welcome to the forum.

Now what I would do if i was you is get in touch with BJ, he has a large list of things on the trader or things for sale part of this forum. Give him a call then go see him . BJ has been around a long time and I'm sure he has everything you need to get started.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Mr. T,

A good place to purchase & fondle the new Excaliburs is the Archers Nook on Charterhouse Cres. just off Clarke Rd. in London.

Their prices & knowledge is excellent.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might as well start off with the best crossbow - Excalibur!
I'd scope it with a VariZone scope and get some arrows, a rope cocking aid, and a spare string. That will get you started!

BTW - I use the Phoenix, plenty of power for any North American game but light enough to enjoy shooting. :wink:
wabi
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Welcome to the forum Mr T.
I am shooting an older Exocet 175... shoots like a dream and is easily cocked or uncocked by hand ...

Good luck with your choice, but I don't think you will go wrong with any of the Excalibur line of bows :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
saxman

Post by saxman »

Fitst off "WELCOME FOOL" (ala Mr. T)

I have owned the ExoMax and the Equinox,both are #225 models,they are very accurate,reliable and will put down anything walking provided you shoot within your effective range and hit the right spot at a relaxed animal.

I will most likely sell my Equinox and get a lower poundage bow.
My Hawke scope went to the bad and DaGrizz sent me another scope,I sighted in yesterday as I have a spot that is for crossbow only and I want to hunt it.I shot 5 times yesterday sighting in the scope and my back is killing me from the cocking.Some of that pain is there all the time.
Good luck with your decision. :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
maple

Post by maple »

Mr. T.

For sure go to the store and pick the bow you feel fits you the best.

Not all stock lengths are the same for instance. Some are more front heavy. Higher poundage bows are harder to cock. Even the Vixen has enough whumpf to knock down any big game. As we say, more power only determines how far the arrow will stick in the ground after the pass-through.

I've seen some well priced Phoenix and Exocet packages these days, the 'lite' pkg I think it's called. That'll get you into the game for years to come. Turkey season isn't until April so you'll have plenty of time to decide and practice.

Good luck with your decision.......one of these.......two of them.......and a couple of those guys over there......

Maple