Survived tree accident... Thanks to body harness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

northbaydude

Survived tree accident... Thanks to body harness

Post by northbaydude »

I was out at a farm last night in Cambridge deer hunting. We were 3 guys hunting together at different locations. I was the 1st one to be dropped off at my location with my summit climber, 2 guys helped put my cable around the tree while I got ready with rope on my x bow and put my body harness on. I climbed apx 25-30 ft up. My buddies left for their location. I sat there 2:30 till 5:30. Saw 2 large does just 45 minutes before sunset (first time ever in my life while hunting) lost opportunity due to lack of experience, measure of window of opportunity to shoot and a barking dog at the adjacent farm. All was great till I decided to descent, dropped my bow to the ground, untied my ratchet that was holding the seat (top) part of my climber and made my first step towards descent and there goes the bottom of my climber to the ground. The tie that was supposed to join the top and bottom was not put in place and did not connect the two at all. I was now hanging holding the seat part and hanging with my harness. In -13 Celsius at an altitude of 25-30 ft. called my buddy right away he said he would be there right away, in a matter of 5 minutes I was totally out of breath and almost losing consciousness due to pressure of harness and heavy gear. I had lost my one glove while using cell phone to make SOS call. I held on to the seat part of my climber and bear hug the tree but ran out of breath. before losing consciousness I made one last attempt to try to put all my weight on tree and seat part of climber and try to wiggle part of my harness that was wrapped around the tree trunk to slide it down and that worked I slowly kept repeating the same procedure, put my weight on the seat part and wiggle the harness that was 3 feet above my head to let it slide down it took me 10 more minutes to struggle and slide my harness down the tree trunk, finally at 5 ft from ground I found an off shoot of the tree to stand on and I disengaged my harness and jumped on the ground. I could not feel my hand at all, it was totally numb due to being cold and exposed. My buddies showed up 5 minutes after I was on the ground.

Lesson learned: always use a body harness system and triple check your tree stand before you leave the ground.

Ready to hunt again from a tree stand, going to triple check everything this time before leaving the ground. Had an awesome day coz I saw 2 deer and I did not get hurt.
Last edited by northbaydude on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area
one shot scott

Re: SURVIVED TREE ACCIDENT... THANKS TO BODY HARNESS

Post by one shot scott »

Glad you made it out ok!! A harness should be everyones first investment in hunting. Sadly I think its usually the last.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
longwinters

Re: Survived tree accident... Thanks to body harness

Post by longwinters »

I always use strap on stands with a safety belt up there. But the new harness style is no doubt safer for what I do. For you guys that use climbers I don't know what you would use. I used to use climbers years ago (remember the Baker Favorite). Lost the foot portion of one of those once.....but I was younger and stronger so I just shimmied my way down.

Long
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Glad your story has a happy ending!

Always keep a knife handy where you can reach it quickly.

A foot strap in your pocket could give relief too - attach to hip area of strap with a loop (like a jump rope) for your feet to step into. Will take the weight off the thigh/crotch straps and allow for circulation.

Also remember that if you've been hanging in a harness you should NOT lie down after you've descended even if you're exhausted. Stay upright.

Very glad you're OK! Thanks for sharing your story here for others to learn from!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Sounds like a good experience because of the outcome better than spending new years in the hospital or worse thanks for the reminder on tree harness safety :D happy hunting!!
The best things in life are not things!!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

all well that ends well. Dodged a arrow on that one. Thanks for the story. Could help others. :)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Just putting this out there for everyone that is reading this thread - good reminder for all of us....

Some real-life harness tests (ouch!) and info:
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features ... rnesstest/

Excellent reading - 4 parts, lots of text, but valuable info based on reseach:

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publis ... Pt_1.shtml

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publis ... Pt_2.shtml

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publis ... Pt_3.shtml

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publis ... Pt_4.shtml
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Never let someone else put your stand on the tree.
Glad your ok
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Normous

Post by Normous »

You had my heart pounding like mad reading about your close one. I'm glad your OK now and continue with upgraded safety.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I'm with enormous, that was quite a read! I had to keep reminding myself that you were typing the message so it must have ended well.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
maple

Post by maple »

Northbaydude, that's some story to tell to the folks back home!! Glad it turned out OK!!

Good for you for playing safe. :shock: :shock: I'm convinced.

Maple
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like you had a close call.
I believe if I were going to use a climber I'd invest in a controlled descent harness.
link to Hunter Safety System
wabi
northbaydude

Post by northbaydude »

Hi Jeeptag

No one to be blamed and you don t need to be sorry. This is a sport and it could be eventful. I enjoyed meeting you too. I will get in touch with you next year. Please let me know if you are up North my way, may be we can connect and hunt together. I ll take you up on your offer of ground blind.
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area