Finally goin huntin

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Finally goin huntin

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boy, after knee deep snow and no way to get into the swamp, it warmed up a little and settled the snow . Now I can borrow a 4 wheeler from a good friend and head in a mile into the swamp to his cabin. Put on the snow camo and play adult hide and seek. Gooed or bad I will report back. YIPPY! :D :D
NewGuy

Re: Finally goin huntin

Post by NewGuy »

Best of Luck!!
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Good luck! Looking forward to reading of your adventures! :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
agingcrossbower

Oh, this is so sad. I got all my stuff together and went off to the farm where the 4 wheeler and trail to head in are. Packed everything up and headed in. About 3/4 mile in the trail forks and I parked there to check out a cabin I built about 8 years ago. Some very nice well beaten deer trail crossed 4 wheeler path to the cabin. As I got withing eye sight if the cabin deer took off everywhere. They sure do love being around that cabin. I think Its because its used very seldom but anyway good to see. About that time I thought I better cock my bow and thats when it happened. Not that I'm surprised at what happened but everyone will like this one. I had no quiver, and of course no arrows. The old man after trying one bow case and taking the quiver off because it would'nt fit, decided to use a different one and walked away from my quiver full of arrows. Oh well, I'm to the point in my life where I am just happy to be out there. It is God awful beautiful in the woods in the winter. There is nothing like it. Its like being in a winter forest chirstmas card.
Well I decided to just scout a little so I went back the the four wheelie and headed to his cabin. Now you got to see Daves cabin or I should say subdivision. In the middle of the swamp he has a 2 acres clearing cut out wih five buildings on it. Its a mecca in the middle of the wilderness. I was lucky enough to be the carpenter on that job spread over 25 or 30 years. Dave and I go way back.
Anyway good sign everywhere and am planning on bring a tree stand with me if I don't forget :oops: tomorrow. Season ends on Sunday and if I get one fine. If I get one I plan to make it a fawn hopefully a button buck. That would cause the least amount of damage on the herd. I'd go for a buck but the odds this late in the season are not good. By now most have loss their racks by now.
So stay tuned, you never know what this old fart will end up with. :roll:
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

get ur done :D
frisky

Post by frisky »

After your poor start, I hope the rest of the season will be prosperous for you. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
agingcrossbower

frisky wrote:After your poor start, I hope the rest of the season will be prosperous for you. :D
In my younger day I would have been kickin myself, but now I really had a good time. Really!
wabi

Post by wabi »

There was recent a thread about forgetting stuff, you just might have a story to add to it. :lol:
Glad you were able to get out, though. Sure beats sitting in front of the computer like I've been doing (been sick). Now that I'm feeling better the winter weather is due to arrive here. Looks like a few very cold days ahead for us here in Ohio. :(
wabi
agingcrossbower

Got out today WITH my arrows. Had a buck fawn wander to less than 15 yards and could'nt get a clear shot. It ran back from where it came and stood. After a while of watch a notice four sticks or legs. They sure look like deer legs and I watch them to see if they moved. And sure enough one stick bent and pulled up then down. That was the doe. Is'nt nasty how the doe usually lets the fawn wander out front to check if its OK. All of a sudded they both ran off and I know it wasn't because of me. Sure enough, about 30 yards behing trotted a much bigger deer that those two wanted nothing to do with. That deer was to far to tell if it had a rack, but if it did'nt it should have. After that it got dark and darn cold. The end to a great day. :D
gogo

Post by gogo »

keep at it sounds like your having a good time.Maybe the deer gods will be good to you.