Buying a new Crossbow Please help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike Pcf

Buying a new Crossbow Please help

Post by Mike Pcf »

excalibur,exomax,exocet, or ten point titan. Which should i choose? please help. I had just bought a horton explorer and turned around and sold it. I could not get it to shoot consistant enough to suit myself. My compound bow pissed all over the crossbow,, and I don't feel that it should be like that. Especially a crossbow with a scope.Please someone help me. I don't wanna waste my time or money. Also don't want to spend more then 800.00. I currently shoot a Mathews Switchback. Havent missed probably in the last 5 years. Usually shoot 20 yards or less. Hey ,, they made crossbows legal to hunt with in New Jersey,, so I gotta have one to play with. But if it doesn't shoot better then my compound I don't want it.
one shot scott

Re: Buying a new Crossbow Please help

Post by one shot scott »

Right from the experts themselves :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/display/select

Excaliburs are very accurate! Simple too. Customer service is what sells alot of bows for them because they are second to none. Canada or USA you will have a rep who WILL take care of you, and FAST!!!! If you ever have a problem I should add :wink: Thats rare. They are built tough!! any warranty is usually self induced :wink:
Last edited by one shot scott on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Mike Pcf

Post by Mike Pcf »

Thanks for trying to help. All I expect is for a few guys that have the experiance in any of these bows to let me know their oppinion on which one is the most accurate. And maybe the best combination of scope,bolts,size of vanes and broadhead. That should do it. : ) I'll take care of the shooting. Just help point me in the right direction. I appreciate it guys.
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

Welcome to the Forum I'm sure you will get a lot of help here.
The Excalibur Crossbows are advertised as being accurate for a good reason They sure are. Just don't get caught up in the Speed factor chase, it's only important if you are going to Hunt Big Game in Africa all the time. Look at and handle all the Bows you Mentioned some are heavier and have more weight forward and are harder to handle and keep steady. Others have string issues which can be costly if you have to replace your string often. and besides recurves are easy to replace the strings verses, Compounds which require a Bow press.
I love my excal. but my Buddy not real happy with his Ten point, its seen a lot of shop time for being 5 months old.( Strings, Scope and Limbs.)
I walked into a local Gander Mountain and looked at the repair rack, mostly all compounds. That might be a hint. The width of a recurve may be an issue to some people, but not really once you get use to it. Good luck and I hope you join the Excalibur Family.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Slow down take a breath, this is an investment! Emax is a beast make sure you have several strings you will neeed them. The E'cet is abit easier on the string servings & has decent speed. Excals have machined riser & rail of alum. not some plastic! GT II's with 110 gr brass front insert. 100 or 125 gr pt or BH. I use slick trick mag 100 & montec G5 100 & Magnus stinger 100 & magnus 125 snuffers. I think the E'cet will lead the 10 pt in accuray & speed. I have had couple to the 200's were great CB's. I just couldn't take the strain on my ruined back cocking them anymore.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

My suggestion is to start light, Phoenix or Ibex is a good place to start both of which are a pleasure to shoot and are very easy on you and the strings. After you have a while to get accustomed to the crossbow aspect, and believe me it is different from vertical bows, then latter you can move on up to a heavier hitting bow like the Exocet/vortex or the Exomax/Equinox. I started little over a year ago with a 175-pound Excalibur and am just now moving up by purchasing a 225-pound Exomax.
No matter what model or poundage Excalibur you have, don’t aim at the same dot twice or you will be buying more arrows. Personally I like the Gold Tip Laser II’s better that the Firebolts. I found out that experience is the best teacher. You can get some good helpful tips from this bunch when you need them but hands on is the only true teacher.
chessy

Post by chessy »

excalibur is a good choice i own two .. the only differnce i found is how much arrow you have to pull out of the dirt after a pass thru
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Cant speak for the ten point, never had one, but from the excaliburs you listed they will all be rated the same for accuracy: EXCELLENT

The higher fps will get you a flater trajectory, but you will have to reserve more often. I have an equinox and it is an awesome bow. You can get a custom string and get better serving life. There are many here who make them.

There are so many variables. What are your expectations from the bow? Use it a couple of times a year just for hunting? or do you want to do a fair bit of target shooting as well?
Mike Pcf

Post by Mike Pcf »

I am mostly a whitetail hunter. Whatever crossbow is the most comfortable and can still shoot tight groups at 40 yards I will concider. Without a doubt I would like a crossbow I could load and shoot without straining too much but it has to be dominating on whitetails. What Excalibur is the easiest all around handeling plus very deadly on whitetails?
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Well, I own a Y25, which is the same as an exocet with a different stock. You can go even "lighter" like the pheonix or vixen and still shoot tight groups @ 40 yards! and pass through the side of a deer. Excalibur sells a rope cocker that cuts the draw weight to about half, and they also have a "crankaroo" that attatches to the stock and then you can crank the string back by hand. They have two stock choices. A thumbhole, which some people think (myself included) enables them to hold a little more steady, or a typical stock which some perfer. So thats a personal choice that you will make. The best thing to do is try handeling both at a retailer and decide which stock suits you best. After sighting in, you will be shooting bulls eyes at 40 yards no problem no matter what excal you choose! I hope this helps a little bit Mike Pcf, and welcome to the forum!!! There is many knowledgable folks on here who are very willing to answer any Q's you may have, so ask away!!
Mike Pcf

Post by Mike Pcf »

Thanks alot I have been looking at the excaliburs a bit and I like them all. I think it's an Excalibur for me. My Mathews compound shoots close to 300 fps and is by far enough speed. I am a little concerned about shooting flat nocks. The Horton that I used to own shot cresent nocks. Flat ones scare me but I guess they are good enough or they wouldn't be used. I am scared of a dry fire. That is probably my biggest concern with shooting a crossbow. cresent vrs. flat nocks. Tell me more if you will i'm taking it all in.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I hear your concerns on flat nocks! When I got my first excalibur I thought it was missing something! :lol: It scared me to fire it the first time. The flat nocks are not a problem at all! Just whatever you do, not use cresents on the excalibur!

I dry fired my Y25 last night :oops: No damage at all to the bow. There is "add ons" that you can buy called the sts. It cuts noise and may help in a dry fire. I think it helped me last night. I was actually using a ngss, which is similar to a sts. They mount to the riser and stop the string. One thing you may find with recurve is more noise than a compound. But by the time the deer hears it, it already has a hole in it. There again there is ways to tame the noise abit by adding the sts or/and the Boo custom string with whiskers. With both of those on my equinox I can hear the thump of the arrow hitting the target bag over my bow. Thats the difference they can make.
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

With a 800.00 budget most all Excalibur crossbows are within your range, you will be pleased with any of their crossbows. :D You will be able to further that range of 20 yds as well. I would go with a Equinox but I am a little bias.
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day, l had a horton as well l no what you mean it was the hd-175 lb legend... l'm for the 200 lb model excaliburs the exocet is a good choice but l own an equinox as well & love it but there quite heavy on strings. buying an excalibur after dealing with them on one or to occasions with minor problems l would not go elsewhere, there's no company on earth that look after there customers as well as they do & believe in there product 101 %. regards frank (remember the golden rule) cock-lock-load
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Think you need the help after you buy your crossbow. Gets addicting. First is the crossbow then the addons to go with it. Then arrows, targets, trail cams, feeders then a second crossbow just because and ................... never ends never ends. :) :)