how much land

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

how much land

Post by gogo »

My son and I hunt about 40 acres of posted land, it is a soya field flanked by two hedgerows with small woods at the ends. Because of its location it holds alot of deer and lots of deer move through the land. How much land do you hunt and what is on it?
Vladymere

Re: how much land

Post by Vladymere »

I have hunted a 400 acre lease for tha last three years. My fellow club members have takesn some deer there but I haven't.
I have taken deer on a 40 acre tract that belongs to a friend but encroaching adjacent land owners put a stop to that.
I live in a city and back up to a greenway that is about a hundred acres in size. I have harvested deer in my 1/4 acre lot in the back yard with my Excalibur crossbow and then retireved thier carcasses fromt the greenway. In fact the only deer I have killed with my Excaliber have been in my back yard inside the city limits.

Vlad
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My greatest success this year came on a 20 acre tract. You only need a small amount of land with a large amount of deer. :D

I grew up hunting a 100 acre tract which joined a leased 500 acre tract. You will favor the land that offers the most opportunities. Even within the larger tracts, I have my favorite spots and they are relatively small areas.

The trick is keeping everybody off your favorite 20 acres. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

I hunt a 20 acre woods. It is boarding a sub-division, that is getting built up fast. I keep saying that THIS is the LAST year, befor the deer don't stay there. I said this for about eight years now. This year I got a buck on Wednesday morning and a doe Thursday afternoon. Never know! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

The farm I now hunt is about 175 acres, about 40 of which is wooded, the rest being in rotated cash crops (corn, soy, wheat). Although the size of this farm gives me a lot more options than I used to have (especially when conditions change), for several years prior I successfully hunted on much less land than this.

The beauty of the style hunting of hunting (tree stands, ground blinds) that most often accompanies archery hunting is that you do not need a lot of land to hunt on. You only need a small strategic area in which to wait in anticipation for a deer to pass by, while you draw on all the other properties that are around you.

One issue with hunting small properties in southern Ontario is that you sometimes run into neighbouring landowners who are not hunter-friendly and who go so far as to deny a hunter permission to track/retrieve a deer. This is rarely a problem when you are among "real" farms, but can be a problem where "estate lots" abound. A recent case in point:
http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDis ... &e=2235275
http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDis ... &e=2246165
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Rich

Post by Rich »

I hunt 76,000 acres of prime real estate, it is public hunting on an Army Base. The best $50 hunt club you can join, plus I take a few nice bucks and about a dozen does each year.

Rich
ghglenn

Post by ghglenn »

I have 150 acres to hunt, but tend to favor about a 30 acre section within it.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I currently have permission to hunt on well over 15,000 private acres, and my farm borders 110,000 acres of public land. There are another 9,000 acres or so of local public land available, too.

I do almost all of my hunting on the 104 acre farm that I live on. :D
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:I hunt 76,000 acres of prime real estate, it is public hunting on an Army Base. The best $50 hunt club you can join, plus I take a few nice bucks and about a dozen does each year.

Rich

some of the best land out there also;)

I guess I actually only really hunt about 300 acres total of woods.. if you count the open farm land its around 1500 acres
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yeah, Crazy ... the "open farmland" acreage can really run your numbers up!

There's one farm down the road that I can hunt on, and all three-thousand acres of it is open! :shock: :P :lol:

Doesn't mean you can't kill deer there, though ... as all us 'ol "beanfield" hunters know! :D 8) :wink:
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I hunt on 42 acres of wooded land. More rocks on it than trees, Hickory trees more than any other tree on the place. Blackjack 2nd red oak 3rd sassafrass 4th & white oak 5th followed by Dogwoods. Ain't no agriculture crops of any kind fer 10 miles in any direction. Tuff hunting as thar ever was on this good earth i tell you.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Yeah, Crazy ... the "open farmland" acreage can really run your numbers up!

There's one farm down the road that I can hunt on, and all three-thousand acres of it is open! :shock: :P :lol:

Doesn't mean you can't kill deer there, though ... as all us 'ol "beanfield" hunters know! :D 8) :wink:

LOL.. I cant stand fields. Believe it or not, I have never killed a big buck in a field since ive hunted. Actaully I think ive only taken a few doe in a field. Hands down, Im a woods hunter LOL