Ground Pounder vs. Miller Mount

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

petev

Ground Pounder vs. Miller Mount

Post by petev »

Hi all,

As mentioned recently I am relatively new to the board and Crossbows. Based on the great advise I have recieved here, I ordered a bow from Dan Miller. He is boxing it up this afternoon. I got the Exocet and can't wait to try it out. One thing I had to decide on was a quiver mount. I stayed away from the side mounts. Dan has a top mount with runs parallel to the limbs. I opted for that. I also have seen that there is a ground pounder setup. Any comments on what seems to work best? Again thanks for all the great advice on the board. It is nice to have this resource. Now I sorting thru all the various excessories trying to determine what is really needed or not. It seems like the STS might be a good idea.
Exocet 200
Hoyt Alpha Max 35
Hoss

Re: Ground Pounder vs. Miller Mount

Post by Hoss »

I had the D Miller mount. Its strong and works well. It allows for the arrow to be inserted easy compared to the GP were you have to hit the hole so to speak.

BUT--Dan Millers requires your quiver to be parallel with the limbs-- I stalk hunt some very thick brushy areas and many times my arrows would get hung and popped off my quiver due to the limbs and brush I was trying to work my way thru. Once I had an arrow pop loose and the broadhead hit my string and cut a few strands. I was very lucky it didnt cut the whole string that would have been exciting..SO I ended up getting the GP mount and It has served me well. I can also stand my xbow up in the corner of my room as well..

The GP is the best out there..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have a home made top mount. The arrows run parallel to the rail. I have used it for the last three years. Looks like this.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... cts_id=252
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

I hunt with a Ground pounder on 1 bow and an excal standard on the other.I think its all in what you get used to using.How ever if i had to pick between the 2 it would be the Ground pounder. It handles good ,balances good,carries good and looks good!! and not only that Todd ( ground pounder) is a member of this form and just like the rest of us here will go out of his way to help in any way he can.
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive had both and like both... I have the GP on now, but I had no issues with the DM mount. I like the GP mount because it keeps my arrows safe when walking through the woods. The bow doesnt see quite as wide. I like the DM mount since it loads the arrows quicker and easier. I dont have to worry about hitting anything and making noise when in the stand.

I cant pick one other the other if it comes down to it
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I use Danny's. I got his before GP's came out is the main reason. I only stand or ground blind hunt, so the quiver mount doesn't matter much to me as I take the quiver off once settled in.

I see Danny has added a Mag light type holder to his, could come in handy.
"Eze 18:21"
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

I've been useing the Dan Miller mount on my Phoenix for about 4 yrs. now w/no problem at all.I ordered the quiver from him at the same time as I got the mount.
Give it a try,What the heck!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Groundpounder mount is a very slick rock solid mount. It looks good and is very functional. It even acts as a self contained stand. The only issue I see with it is that it impedes fast reloads. Now with deer it's no biggie but if you pay attention to what mount the Boss used to hunt his Elephant!
I agree with Hoss, Danny's sucks for slinking in the bush where the Groundpounder mount will excel. I think it will also prevent to some degree brush from disturbing your arrow if it is in the rail.
Personally I've gone to the Game Plan SpotNStalk where the arrows are higher than a hip quiver and requires less movement to access an arrow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have the GP mount and a Wayvern mount.I like both
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
huntone

Post by huntone »

I have the Dan Miller mount, actually he gave it to me after I told him I was having problems with the Wayvern mount. I can see under the mount if I had to. No problems with it so far, but I've not tried a GP.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have the GP and love it. The balance and hight works great, it's a little tricky to reload but you get used to it. :) :) :D :D
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Petev said- It seems like the STS might be a good idea.

I believe it is. Upon arrival you may need some advice regarding installation. Believe a slight modification is in order. :D

....but it changes the feel of the bow, absorbs vibrations, and I believe made my bow more accurate. The bow certainly sounded differently post installation. I ended up ordering an NGSS, because it did not require any modifications and is really nice. Not sure you have that option anymore.

Most folks are reasonable about theirs. Not me. Here you can see how mine attaches with the Ground Pounder quiver mount. Very nice people who sold me these things. I am sure they will stand behind their products, and that you will enjoy them as much as I do mine.

The red and blue Bowjax are there to aid in reducing vibrations, although I am certain no one else does this. I like to experiment and piddle when bored.

In this shot I moved the Bowjax to see what would happen. You can see the black rubber nipples, with blue thingies attached, resting solidly against the NGSS.

The key for me was to enable the oversized nipple, not original, to rest against the body of the NGSS. There is a steel rod inside the black rubber nipple that holds the nipple in place. I replaced the original nipples with an oversized pair. Also, I shortened the rod's length to allow for an air pocket between the inside of the nipple and the end of the rod. Then I added some extra rubber, the Bowjax things.

The brace height will be your issue when you install your STS. Nothing wrong with allowing the string to travel past the normal brace height when shot. In fact I like that. But you don't want the nipples extending too far the other direction, to where they do not allow the string to reach the normal brace height. If that makes sense.

I also added rubber pads to the surfaces where the NGSS contacts the riser. The bow makes a thump when shot. I can see the arrow's flight quicker than without the modifications. Oh...and get some Boo strings, too. He is serious about making them, all you have to do is figure out how to properly install them. Makes the bow so much sweeter to shoot.

Adding these extras is not necessary, but they sure make your bow special.

Here is a shot of how the GroundPounder mount allows the bow to sit upright.

Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

That set up is really great undertaker! :!:
Some great ideas there. :idea:

Your set up may have changed my mind about mounting my quiver parallel to the limbs. Did the bowjax make much of a difference? Great tip on using rubber insulation where the stoppers contact the riser. Is there any source for the NGSS?