Silencers?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

birddog10

Silencers?

Post by birddog10 »

I was wondering what kind of silencers, if any, people are using? I have a Phoenix and wanted to silence it a little but not eat up a lot of FPS. Ted Nugent has a youtube video shooting an excalibur and he's installing LimbSaver solid limb attachments and LimbSaver string leeches. On their website, LimbSaver even shows a crossbow package with a silencer attachment for the arrow holder. Any suggestions?
Boo

Re: Silencers?

Post by Boo »

birddog10 wrote:I was wondering what kind of silencers, if any, people are using? I have a Phoenix and wanted to silence it a little but not eat up a lot of FPS. Ted Nugent has a youtube video shooting an excalibur and he's installing LimbSaver solid limb attachments and LimbSaver string leeches. On their website, LimbSaver even shows a crossbow package with a silencer attachment for the arrow holder. Any suggestions?
There are four ways to my knowledge to reduce the noise level and tone of a crossbow. One is serving on cat whiskers, then string material (Xcel or 452X), install a wood stock and last is an STS.
You will never lower the noise of a crossbow to a point where all deer will not react. You might lower it enough to not spook a deer 50 or 100 yards in. You can lower it until some deer will not react. I lower noise in my bows because I despise the noise that they make otherwise.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend.
Boo said it
I believe it
That settles it
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

saxman wrote:Welcome friend.
Boo said it
I believe it
That settles it
"10-4 Good Buddy"
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i put a custom boo string with cat whiskers from boo made a world of difference then added sts and wow......heard of some guys filling the rails with spray foam too ..but the sts and the string were enough from me ...
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Except for the STS and stock, ANYTHING that reduces crossbow noise (note that I didn't say silence) tends to slow the string or limbs and therefore arrow speed. Like Boo said, the noise reduction won't be anything like a typical vertical bow's. You have to decide what is more important: The noise YOU hear, or a faster arrow with flatter trajectory.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

I'll assume noise is not an issue because deer "jumping" is minimized because of the speed of the bolt, correct? I've shot a few deer with muzzleloaders and shotguns (no rifles where I live) and only 1 with a bow (vertical). At @ 20 yards I hit it in the spine and paralyzed it. I've always wondered if it was because I shot high or because it "ducked" into the arrow or a little of both. Beyond 25 yards I've never felt comfortable with my consistency with shooting a bow. Not being able to hold steady I really didn't feel bow hunting was something I should be doing. Now that our state allows crossbows for archery season, I'm hoping to take advantage of the earlier seasons. Shooting my Phoenix has been incredible. Twenty, 25, 30 yards with field points and even 125 grain Thunderheads I've just been impressed with my/its accuracy. But the noise....? That's where I had some concerns but it seems the responses here tell me to ignore/don't worry about the noise.
Thanks for the input.
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

birddog10 wrote: Ted Nugent has a youtube video shooting an excalibur and he's installing LimbSaver solid limb attachments and LimbSaver string leeches. On their website, LimbSaver even shows a crossbow package with a silencer attachment for the arrow holder.
uncle ted is also sponsored by sims and I think that has a great deal to do with his "tips" to silence the crossbow. no matter what you do the deer your shooting at is going to hear the crossbow. i am trying to get every foot per second out of my bow i can and the noise be dammed.

speed is your friend.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
bdog

Post by bdog »

I shot my first three deer with a stock Vortex at twenty yards,when they were relaxed and not on alert,the arrow was on it's way out of their body before they realized anything had happened,now I have a Boo string without the wiskers and the STS on it and the Vortex is quieter and alot less shock than my Vixen....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Disclosure: This from a guy with only one CB deer under his belt... :)

Relaxed deer + ~300 fps + aim top of the heart + 30yds or less + [sharp bh, etc] = dead deer

I've not yet failed to take the deer when everything fell into place! :lol:

Take care...
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Y'all left out one other 'noise reducer', imho, heavier arrows. Bill T had a post back a ways that those stick on limb savers cost up to 15-20 fps depending on location on the limbs. He's the 'turn to' guy on this stuff for me. :mrgreen:

I've seen Unk Ted w/ an Excal w/ TWO of them on each limb. Remember, Unk Ted get's a lot of checks from different check books. :mrgreen:

Edited to add:

Gotta tell ya, when I had my Emax, I tamed it down some w/ 'Boo' w/ whiskers and 446 gr arrows. 328 fps. I got 'ducked' twice in one w/e at a UFFDA hunt in MO. The 1st was understandable, I was rushed on a 32 shot at a spike and he was keeping an eye on the tower stand I was in. Aimed mid body w/ 30 yd aim point and got a clean miss. Next a.m. from a rest in a ground blind, I nailed a turkey at 30. That afternoon, had a huge doe sniffing the feathers, held 2" above bottom of body, same rest, she made it look easy, like arrow went 4" over her back. Should have been impossible for her to do that.

I'd shot every bhead in my quiver before the hunt, and checked again after both misses.

I nearly quit bow hunting over it, but a friend said on a place like that w/ constant pressure, they are constantly on alert. Sure didn't look alert to me.

I know I've posted this sad tale a time or two on the various forums and it may be redundant for some. I put a lot of bench time in testing my stuff t boot. Just a word or two to the wise.
"Eze 18:21"