Turkey broadhead??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shuey270

Turkey broadhead??

Post by shuey270 »

I have an Equinox G.T.II's with brass inserts and shoot 125 thunderheads for deer. They shoot good and work well. My question is should I try a mech. head for spring gobbler? I've heard horror stories about the open on impact with a fast bow.My f.p.s. is 325, any help??? thanks
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
Tom

Re: Turkey broadhead??

Post by Tom »

This has been answered many times in the forum before, even in saying that, you will get different answers. As for mechanicals and horror stories with fast bows ....... well it is just like a fixed head ....... QUALITY MATTERS. If you get a quality head, mechanical or fixed, the problems are few.

Now even in saying that, if your happy & confidant with the accuracy, with the setup you are now using, then I would stay with it. When hunting turkey with a bow, shot placement (accuracy) is most important and if you have confidence in your setup, then that will help.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Does anybody have any experience with adding a "judo" or "grasshopper" style collar behind a fixed blade broadhead for turkey? I've heard that this is effective for downing a bird rather than having it run off after as pass-thru.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
bull_dogg

Post by bull_dogg »

If your looking for a good mech head you cant go wrong with rage.
Tom

Post by Tom »

ninepointer wrote:Does anybody have any experience with adding a "judo" or "grasshopper" style collar behind a fixed blade broadhead for turkey? I've heard that this is effective for downing a bird rather than having it run off after as pass-thru.
I use the Zwickey Scropios behind a NAP Spitfire 100gr. I love that set up. The Scropio is spring loaded wire fingers which ride on the shaft of the arrow (making size important to fit right). As the wire fingers are pressed backwards with contact, there is added pressure against the shaft acting like a break. I also use allumn. not graphite but I have heard that they will scratch the graphite arrow shafts. Digger (late from the forum) used to have pictures posted of his setup showing how it rides on the shaft (sorry can't find it now). I also think that when hunting turkeys you need to have some sort of arrow stopper to stop the arrow and not allow a complete pass through. Therefore hindering the bird from flying or running after the shot. The fixed style stoppers will do more damage to the meat of the bird (bruising) but they will all disperse all the arrows KE into the bird on the hit.

An extra benefit of the Scropio is that with a miss, the fingers will catch the grass as the arrow skips across the ground making the arrow stand up in the grass (easier to find).
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i would us what you are confidnrt with .being able to hit the bird is the most imporatnt.thing .just look at the hole you get from the head you are using now on a deer .it will kill the turkey stone dead if you can hit him DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

have a look at the turkey terror broad head if you can get a decent shot there down for the count.
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

Thanks everyone!!
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead