changing back to standard sights------no scope-------???????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

changing back to standard sights------no scope-------???????

Post by the elf »

Here I sit wondering if I should try going back to standard sights instead of my scope.
The bush I usually hunt is partly open out to about 20-35 yards [mostly]---and if I am
in the thick stuff I usually have one of my short recurves. What I am thinking about is
overall weight and balance--vision would pretty much remain the same--scope/no scope.
Sometimes it is a pain [literally] to carry and use the excalibur. [Arthritis]
Just looking for ideas and suggestions from all of you that use standard sights by choice.
Pydpiper

Re: changing back to standard sights------no scope-------???????

Post by Pydpiper »

There is nothing wrong with the P/P sights, they work fine! If I didn't get so hooked on perfecting the accuracy of my bow and the arrows that I make I would have stuck with the P/P.
One thing to be careful of, and it is my only regret with my bow, but when you install the front sight it will mark the annodization on the riser, if and when you pull the sight off again there will be a small indent in the aluminum.
It would be nice to see a "good quality" multi pin replacment as an option.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Those are 'beauty marks'. They make the bow[s] much lighter and handier, imho. I've set up a bunch of Excals for guys here w/ new/used bows and have come to believe they all shoot the same w/ same setting on the pin. Says a lot about factory quality control to me.

In my experience, that's w/ the pin set 1 7/16" [1.437"] above the bottom of base for 20 yds. I use the right dovetail looking down from peep, and just about a thumbnail thickness shy of flush get's it real close. The top of the post under pin is 'on' at 30 for most setups, minute of deer any how. You metric guys are on your own, i deal w/ metric system by knowing 1" rings are 25mm and .20 cal pellets are 5mm, lol. Says so on the packaging. :mrgreen:

That to me, makes it seem a multi pin setup would have the pins too close together for my liking. Remember, a vert bow w/ multi pins has a lot more distance between the sights, which puts them farther apart, again just my observations. YMMV.
"Eze 18:21"
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

The standard sights are perfectly fine for hunting. The only time you might find yourself wanting of a scope is first light.

My crossbow wears a scope but so do all my rifles now. I had to remove all my peeps and buckhorns when my eyes told me it was time :roll:
Last edited by ninepointer on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
wabi

Post by wabi »

The peep/fiber optic sight is fine and accuracy is as good as your eyes. :wink:
The only problems I've had were the front sight on my Phoenix (machined dovetail on the riser) would tilt slightly after the lock screw was tightened and cause a slight shift in windage. The more you tighten the screw, the more the sight leans.
The other problem was the lack of light for the fiber optic inside a ground blind. In the low light conditions of dawn & dusk the fiber optic was not visible inside the blind.
wabi
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

l shoot good with both & enjoy shooting with both open & scope l was brought up on open sights day time there fine but in the night well very hard to see mate as l'm sure you would no. regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
the elf

Post by the elf »

Well--maybe I have been looking at this backwards--for the weight and balance thing.
Maybe I should have been looking at a shorter lighter[better balanced] model;like the Vixen .
I just finished reading again online--all the write-ups about models and sizes [human and
Excalibur] and maybe I need a smaller [shorter] lighter weight [draw and physical] bow.
This along with my age 68- might be the best solution for me.
Thanks for your input.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I got an exocet 175 set up with the fibre optic peep and it works fine.

The center is 25 yards, top is 15, bottom is 40.
I come by my name honestly.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I have switched from pep to scope, back to pep and now scope again.
I like the pep but at 30 yard the pep blocks a lot of area when target shooting.
For me the ultimate pep sight would have a single pin.
The scope has a clean view I can hit a quarter at thirty yards.
I sight in the cross hairs at thirty yard and shoot high or low, same with the pep also.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

A scope helps me a lot with accuracy. I could always shoot the various types of sights quite well when I was shooting at a target, but when I shot at a deer I could miss with amazing regularity. I would find myself not being able to recall lining up the sights. I guess buck/deer fever would get me all worked up and I would let fly without lining up the sights. I have not missed many deer since I have put scopes with a 66 foot wide field of view or higher on my x-bow and shotguns I use for deer. Most people may not have this problem with sights, but scopes certainly helped this accuracy challenged deer hunter. I have a scope on my VIxen and it does not seem heavy or unbalanced.
archiarcher

Post by archiarcher »

When i got my Vortex, i had planned on using the open sights to save weight but my eyes aren't what they use to be and in certain conditions, the front post would be almost invisible. I painted the post white and that helped alot, especially in low light conditions.I put on a Varizone scope and i'm much more consistant with my accuracy and have no problems picking up deer at close range. I'm glad i made the switch.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

The sight that came with my bow were way to brittle to even think of putting them on...they would not last more than one outing
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

IMO, the scope has made me not only a better shot but also alot better hunter; nothing wrong with open sights but the scope has allowed me to better "judge" my shot than ever before; I now wait for that perfect shot or I don't shoot at all; good luck on your decision.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I don't think you will save much weight by changing bows ( all about the same 6 pounds ) or removing the scope. You will still have to lug it. I would think a nice sling would get you to your stand and a rest of some kind for craddling it whilest you wait. But....a new bow might make you feel better about things. :D
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

when i first got my excalibur i shot it a lot with the peep. i held nice groups out to 30 yds. when i got the scope i had even better groups out to 30 yds. its a scope for me. :)
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!