O/T...Any tractor experts out there?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

O/T...Any tractor experts out there?

Post by LondonDave »

I'm looking at buying a tractor with a loader and don't really know too much about them. I'm not sure what size tractor I need for what I want to do or how many HP...gas vs. diesel.

The purpose of the tractor will be to move dirt, gravel etc. around our 66 acre property, pull a bush hog, maybe do some discing and plowing for food plots, blowing snow, etc.

I've been told I should look for a loader that has "down pressure" but wondered if anyone knew what was involved in adding down pressure to a loader that doesn't have it.

My budget is only about $5000 to $6000 so I'll be looking at something older. If anyone knows of any tried and true makes/models that will serve my purposes let me know. If anyone has anything for sale or knows of a good place I should check let me know that too.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
BUS314

Re: O/T...Any tractor experts out there?

Post by BUS314 »

well bud, I don't consider myself an expert, but I do have 26 yrs John Deere experience. But that was 12 yrs ago, lol I'm not trying to be a wisea$$ but that dollar amount is only going to get you junk or a down payment a good one. Best bet is to watch the farm auctions or just bite the bullet & go new--- dealers have programs like car dealers, sometimes very good ones--good luck
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

As stated 5 to 6000 dollars does not get you much these days .

Down pressure on the loader gives you the ability to lift the front end off the ground which helps add weight to the bucket when back blading / leveling ( it also helps when you need to repair a front tire / no jack needed ).

Gas / vs /diesel . Diesel fuel tends to be cheaper per litre and the diesel engine will use less fuel per hr compared to a comparable gas engine . The diesel tractor also wins at low end torque compared to a gas model .

Have found this website a goodone for locating equipment here in Ontario

http://www.agdealer.com

For other tractor information related to older models , pro /cons try this site

http://www.yesterdaystractor.com

66 acres is a fair amount of land to work plowing or discing , would take a minimum of 60 hp , 3 furrow plow /w14 inch bottoms and an 8 to 10 ft disc . Adding a loader adds weight and stress / then a bigger frame to handle these extra's .
Tom

Post by Tom »

Also if your going diesel fuel, if your tractor is for only off road, private property, you can use coloured fuel which means you do not pay the "HI-WAY TAXES" as you would with regular diesel or gas.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the budget is pretty tight and I can't afford to spend anymore than that. The whole 66 acres won't be worked, probably only 20 acres tops and maybe not even that. The main purpose will be moving dirt and gravel around with the loader, scraping and blowing the driveway etc.

I appreciate the input.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
munch

Post by munch »

dave have you thought about a skid steer .i had one in the past and did a lot of different jobs with it. great for snow removel .i also logged a small bush and cut 100 cord of fire wood one winter. it had extra hyd. lines and i hooked a log spliter on the front .i cant see why a guy could not rig something on for small food plots as well
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Munch,

I'm sure it would be very handy and do a lot of the jobs I want to do but I'm going to stick with a tractor for now.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Im more of a car guy, but even if you have to save cash for awhile I think you will be happier with the torque a diesel will have. Especially when it comes to scooping up a large bucket of gravel/dirt. Every gasoline tractor ive been on has been underpowered. But its possible Ive been on all the wrong ones :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

well being from southern ont in tobacco country .i would say look for a massy 165 .there are lots of them for sale down here as tobacco is nolonger the going crop and a lot of farms have been sold . a 165 will do every thing you need but is not to big ..buy your self an trader mag for southern ont you will find them n your price range DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z157208344

This is what you need go with the 4x4 diesel nothing run like a deer!!in all weather this tractor will getr-done :D
The best things in life are not things!!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Dutch is right too lots of Masseys around but I have been stuck and having a bucket you can always push or pull your self out but is a pain in the ass when it happens that is why I would go 4x4 :D
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Dutch...I'm actually going to look at a Massey 135 near Aylmer today. Just a little smaller than the 165. Maybe too small. I'll see.

MM2...would love a 4x4 JD but waaaaay out of the price range. I know what your saying about getting stuck. I curse my 2wd pickup on a daily basis. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought that thing.

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
diesel

Post by diesel »

Massey 135 is only about 33HP good tractor But you may want to get a larger tractor. Massy 165 , 175, and 180 are all about 65 hp. We have had very good luck with them. Look at farm sales , Craigs list and the local paper.
A diesel should be started and ran every 30 days if it spends much time setting use Stanadyne Performance Formula blue lable.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

http://brantford.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic ... Z176863374
These are great units also I have spent some time on the seat of one of these also!!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ive spent alot of time around those Kubotas. Tough little tractor. Especially the old ones. For The money your looking to spend, you should be able to find one like MM2 posted. The kubota will be able to grab a heavy bucketfull and not stall out.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-