Best set up for a Vortex?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lvt01

Best set up for a Vortex?

Post by lvt01 »

Hi folks!
I'm new to the forum and am waiting for my new Vortex to arrive any day. I've been hunting with a Horton CB for 2 going 3 years and decided that I wanted a better hunting crossbow. I bought a new Horton recurve last year, but ended up selling it a few weeks ago. It was a lot faster than my older Horton, but didn't have the accuracy that I was looking for in a hunting CB. After doing more research I decided that an Excalibur CB was what I wanted. I ordered it with the Lumi-zone scope and flemish strings for now. I've been trying to figure out what to use for arrows and BHs to get the best accuracy for this particular bow. I figured asking you folks would save me a lot of trial and error...hopefully money as well. I know everyone will have different opinions, but what would be the best place to start? Are the Excal Firebolts and the 150g boltcutter BHs a good combination to start with? I like a heavier arrow and like to keep the FOC at least 10-15%. Thanks!
Boo

Re: Best set up for a Vortex?

Post by Boo »

Looks like you have a good starting point! Welcome to the forum!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum.

The folks here will save you a lot of trial and error, they know their stuff!

But if you think your going to save money , you came to the wrong place :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

roly wrote:Welcome to the forum.

The folks here will save you a lot of trial and error, they know their stuff!

But if you think your going to save money , you came to the wrong place :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bdog

Post by bdog »

Ditto:about saving money,I shot my Vortex all stock except for the Varizone, and harvested 3 nice deer, Firebolts,150 boltcutters,everything worked fine,now I have it decked out with the STS,Boo string,Firebolts with 92 gr. front inserts,Blazers,wraps,from Big John,125 gr.Grizztricks,and did not hunt with it yet,but man this thing is working better, thanks Big John for the hard work ya put into my arrows and Boo for all the free advice and the string,

forgot to tell ya,now i have an Ibex also,it needs a Boo string,STS,top mount quiver,more arrows,talk about saving money,wait there's more to come, TO BE CONTINUED......hey Black jack,ischa,any thing to say about saving money and crosssbows....heheheeeee

----------------
Vortex,Black Vixen,Ibex.....
Last edited by bdog on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
archiarcher

Post by archiarcher »

Firebolts and boltcutters are what i use in my Vortex. With a solid rest at 50 yards, i was hitting a 3" circle with every shot with this combo. The 150 Gr boltcutters are as accurate as any broadhead i've ever shot in my crossbow or compound.I use the Varizone scope and excel strings.
Boo

Post by Boo »

bdog wrote:Ditto:about saving money,I shot my Vortex all stock except for the Varizone, and harvested 3 nice deer, Firebolts,150 boltcutters,everything worked fine,now I have it decked out with the STS,Boo string,Firebolts with 92 gr. front inserts,Blazers,wraps,from Big John,125 gr.Grizztricks,and did not hunt with it yet,but man this thing is working better, thanks Big John for the hard work ya put into my arrows and Boo for all the free advice and the string,

forgot to tell ya,now i have an Ibex also,it needs a Boo string,STS,top mount quiver,more arrows,talk about saving money,wait there's more to come, TO BE CONTINUED......hey Black jack,ischa,any thing to say about saving money and crosssbows....heheheeeee

----------------
Vortex,Black Vixen,Ibex.....
All joking aside it will never be as bad as the compound bow. Boy oh boy, can money ever be spent there! :shock:
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

OK...forget I said.....save money!!! I know that never happens when it comes to this kind of passion. I get the impression though....that at least starting with the Excal basics I'll do all right. That's what I needed to know from folks that have been there before. Thanks much!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Spect firebolts & boltcutters is as good as any set-up. Plenty of room to play around, carbon arrows or alum. or both. I use both, i use slick tricks & montec G5 & Magnus snuffers & stingers. Thar be half dz. mech. BH's that work greats also.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I've tried both carbons and aluminum, but have had better luck with the carbon. I've used the G5 Strikers and they seem pretty good. They've gotten the job done very well anyway! Tried mechanicals last year, but never had a chance to shoot at anything with fur. Seemed to be OK on paper. Ever used Grim Reaper razortips? I was wondering if they end up being too light up front being I thought Excal recommends using heavier BHs.