IS IT A gadget OR NOT ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

EZKILL

IS IT A gadget OR NOT ?

Post by EZKILL »

what do you guys and girls think about Mounting the rangefinder above the scope on the excal :?:
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
lscha

Re: IS IT A gadget OR NOT ?

Post by lscha »

I like mine!! I especially like walking around my property and stopping at various distances from my target, guessing, then ranging and hitting my mark while practicing. Very handy in the field too, if you haven't had the opportunity to range things ahead of time.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

I don't like the idea. Do my ranging when I first get into my stand or at first light and would not want to be swinging around my CB to do ranging. Sure, I'm assuming, you could take it off and then put it back on but than what is the point?

Take care...
saxman

Post by saxman »

While I use a range finder I do not mount it on my bow.
I can estimate 40 yards and that's as far as I'm gonna shoot anyway.
But it is not a gadget,it's the real deal.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I went through a heck of a time mounting my vertical RF vertcally. Found out I'd been supplied with discontinued scope mounting brackets too small to allow the RF mount to be mounted vertically. Found some 1" mounts and never looked back. I hunted a lot with the RF mounted last fall. This year I'm trimming things down. I'm removing the mount and will keep the RF on my person. I'll scope out and mark ranges ahead of time when I'm setting up a semi permanent stand. I found the RF to be a bit of a pain while mounted. It'd be great for those shots needing an instantaneous range but how often does that happen where you have the time to range and get off a shot that quick? It's better to know your range or be good at estimating. I plan on practicing the latter. So is it a "gadget"? No. It does what it's supposed to very well.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mine comes on and off depending on how I am hunting, in a stand or other fixed location I leave it off, but it has proven to be a valuable asset while doing a walk and stalk.
It have also used it on a varmint rifle or two.
I modified my rangefinder a bit, added an external switch that connects to my bow with Velcro, it sits right where my thumb can access it with minimal movement.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Pydpiper wrote:Mine comes on and off depending on how I am hunting, in a stand or other fixed location I leave it off, but it has proven to be a valuable asset while doing a walk and stalk.
It have also used it on a varmint rifle or two.
I modified my rangefinder a bit, added an external switch that connects to my bow with Velcro, it sits right where my thumb can access it with minimal movement.

Every time you think you've seen it all. BAM it hits you full in the face. Smart idea with the switch. Thats the only drawback to the mount on top, other than the weight. :idea: :idea:
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

i just use mine when i first get situated in the stand and find landmarks to tell me the different distances.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
wabi

Post by wabi »

If I were still hunting I would find it very useful. Range estimation can be critical to a well placed shot, and if you can't judge range well it would be great!

However, since I do almost all my hunting from a blind or stand I can pre-range objects near likely shooting locations and not have to rely on a rangefinder at the time I take the shot. Actually I arrange markers (sticks, logs, large dirt clumps or rocks) at 30 yards from my stands or blinds. I sight my crossbow for 25 yards, and with an arrow velocity close to 300 fps any shot inside that 30 yards will be easily fatal on a deer with a "center of the kill zone" hold.
wabi