Info on Ladder Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Info on Ladder Stands

Post by Raymond »

What is a good ladder stand for one person with a comfortable seat and back support and where can I get the best bang for my buck? Also, what about a two person ladder stand? What is your thoughts on hanging stand? They can be new or used. Thank you.
bull_dogg

Re: Info on Ladder Stands

Post by bull_dogg »

I have a two person ladder stand API Its nice If your a bigger guy it makes a huge difference but its heavy.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have 3 ladder stands out this year.

One is a "bush ladder" (no longer made) and it is very lightweight & portable. I had to modify it (extended it about 4-5" from the tree) and it's still very uncomfortable!

One is a cheap single man (I believe made by River's Edge) stand I got from Cabela's. After I did some welding extentions into the supports to extend it 4" further from the tree and provide more legroom it is comfortable.

The third is a cheap 2-man ladder stand with the shooting rail. It is not the best for back support - but you can change positions and relieve back discomfort in it.

My favorite is my Ameristep "dog house" ground blind with a good folding chair that fits my torso, a propane heater for cold days, and an old "milk crate" for a table for my coffee (or tea, or hot chocolate). Can't get it up in a tree, but I'm seriously thinking about building an elevated platform for it next year! :lol: :lol:
wabi
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Wabi, you can buy them from the Sportsman's Guide. They are 8' tall and made out of 1" box tubing. They sell for about $180.00, if I remember right.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I used to build/weld my own ladder stands but it takes quite a while to hand cut, fit, weld, clean, prime, paint, add hardware, etc. The low cost of a new factory made stand is actually a pretty good bargain. I found a Gorilla brand 16' ladder stand on sale for $89 last year and was actually surprised how comfortable it was. It has the strap suports for the cushioned seat and has a back pad.

Shooting a bow from a ladder stand can be challenging so try a few before you buy.

Dave
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have a gorilla brand as well. It sure is comfy! One of the few stands ive fallen asleep in. Ususally Im hanging on for dear life :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

we make are own ladder stand from lumber .more stable then tube steel .to heavy to steal and very very safe .thy will last for many years .
i will try to get some better pics DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
huntone

Post by huntone »

I use ladder stands often. To me, they are safer to climb into in all types of weather. however, I qenerally take the same precautions that I would with a hang on with regards to the safety rope and harness. I seldom use hang on stands but I do see the need for one, or a climber, in certain situations.

I just pick out the lightest ladder stand I can find at a good price, because I usually put them up by myself....Not Recommended.

Used a ground blind this year during bowseason and enjoyed it, got a doe, but missed the view from a ladder and missed the buck........ of a lifetime. :cry: :P :D
Last edited by huntone on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I guess I can chime in on treestands since I have about 45 of them up :lol:

I have about 18 ladder stands and roughly 20 hang on stands. Most of my hang on stands are the cheap comfort zone ones that walmart sells. I buy them on clearance for 30 bucks after season for the past 3 years. The ladder stands I use are the cheap gander mountain or dicks 15ft basic stands. I did get a few basic deluze ones this year with shooting rails and arm rests. Thse stands that are normally 100-160bucks can be had for 40-70bucks after season.

The nicest ladder I have, which I got this year is the 18ft team realtree buckbuster. It has a footrest, arm rests, very nice seat, and blind. But its 170bucks(got mine for 120 on sale LOL).

You can get a 40 dollar ladder and buy a padded seat and back for 15bucks and have a nice stand.

I cant afford the high dollar 130+ stands since I have so many and would be broke. I have one 2 person stand, which is a NIGHTMARE to put up alone. You arent going to take that deep into the woods to put up. I can take the 15ft basic stands into the woods by myself and put up. The hangon stands are the lightest of coarse and I use the screw in steps with mine. I bout 5 of the loggy bayou pro staff stands last year and I love those. Normally a 160buck hang on lone wolf clone on sale for 60bucks each.

each has their place.. I use the hang on stands in thickets I cant drag a ladder into. Also like hang ons since I have the steps 3-4ft apart and no one can climb up my stands.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have a few hang on's and a a couple of ladder stands .... the cheapest one we have found are big game tree stands ...comfy and decent quality for the price ...

http://www.biggametreestands.com/
Dunn14

Post by Dunn14 »

I have two that I made with my Dad and uncle. If you have a welder, it is a lot cheaper to build ladder stands. you can make them as tall as you want, and make them comfortable for you. We built ours with arm rests and a shooting rest for the Xbows.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i think they were 89 bucks at bass pro shop ...

[quote="warningshot"]i have a few hang on's and a a couple of ladder stands .... the cheapest one we have found are big game tree stands ...comfy and decent quality for the price ...

http://www.biggametreestands.com/[/quote]