Hunting Equipment Theft

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hazmat

Hunting Equipment Theft

Post by Hazmat »

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has had any of their hunting equipment stolen from where they hunt, and if so what area it was taken from ?

I personally have not, but the fellow that hunt's across form where I do had his aluminum ladder stolen this Fall as well I have spoken with another person on this board that had a game camera stolen. Both of these occured in the Fergus, Ontario area.
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Grizzly Adam

Re: Hunting Equipment Theft

Post by Grizzly Adam »

planter wrote:Hazmat I'm sorry to say it but a better question might be who hasn't had EQ stolen.
Well, I haven't.

Not once.

I've got one ladder stand that has been out in plain view of a public dead-end road for four years. You could easily drive a truck to it. People even know when I'm gone, usually, yet there it stands.

Hunting thefts are very rare here.

I'm glad. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
planter wrote:Hazmat I'm sorry to say it but a better question might be who hasn't had EQ stolen.
Well, I haven't.

Not once.

I've got one ladder stand that has been out in plain view of a public dead-end road for four years. You could easily drive a truck to it. People even know when I'm gone, usually, yet there it stands.

Hunting thefts are very rare here.

I'm glad. :D
Grizz has his pets watching his stuff . . .

I don't leave anything . . .well, with exception of my cell phone. It must have been stolen. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive had 2 hang on stands stolen since ive been hunting.. usually its someone you know
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I hunt in the Fergus area as well as others and yes it does happen . I had a ladder stand stolen a couple of years ago where the lowlifes had to use three shots of BB`s while standing on the platform to blast away the cable lock . :shock: (they left the empties at the base of the tree).
This year I had an individual steal my treesteps . Probably thought that was my only set .
I have had in total 4 stands stolen .
I wish I lived in such a trustworthy spot as you Grizz . :)
It sucks that people feel that if it is shiny they need it . :?
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
weezy

Post by weezy »

I havent had anything stolen..I put a small sign on my tree stands that say ''Property Of The Ohio Division Of Natural Resources''.LOL..It works though
gogo

Post by gogo »

They must have been in Niagara Falls first and stole my ground blind. What got me is that it was brand new never used and on private property. There are thieves every where.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

in the last year deer hunting on crown land i had come out for lunch and went back in an hour later to find candy wrappers and a set of rattling antlers gone ...i saw the guy leaving but didn't realize he had stolen stuff until it was too late friggen crooks ...
marlinchester

Post by marlinchester »

weezy wrote:I havent had anything stolen..I put a small sign on my tree stands that say ''Property Of The Ohio Division Of Natural Resources''.LOL..It works though
What a helluva good idea! I think i'll make M.N.R. stencils for that ladder stand I have been scared to put up on public land.
Thanks man!
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Grizz must live in the ideal place because here in Blounts Creek NC you can have it locked , bolted etc and they will still find a way to get it. Down here your best chance is to not leave it in the woods very long. I had a friend of mine had three buddy ladder stands taken out of a swamp this past season. I also had two friends have their game cameras stolen or destroyed. One had his out as like the rest of us. The other had people trespassing and he put his 20 plus feet in a tree so he could find out who was coming and going they shot it to pieces, I still don't know how they saw it. Down here things are lawless. We have people trespassing left and right/ Dog hunting across and killing deer on land without permission. Dog hunters here can shoot from the right of way. Oh Yeah , stop right in the middle of the road and throw lead. I hope none of you have to deal with that , because it is a pain. I have grow up with it and dog hunters here have such a lobby that i don't know when it will come to an end. I guess when someone gets killed. But anyway think about it, it can all be worse!
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Oh yeah i forgot a good one. I had a neighbor on the ajoining property to which i hunt, trespassing and i told him to get his stand off our property he did and later the next season i had put up posted signs a new stand there and pro magnum moultrie feeder. I got a picture of him trespassing again and damaging a posted sign. I also wondered why i had deer really coming to the feeder and then stopped. I found out this is where he decided to take a leak. Result no more deer there! I guess he thought he was getting back at me! I haven't seen him again since! Good neighbor huh!
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Turtleman ...

I think folks are pretty good about not taking stuff here ... but part of it might be that my place is down a dead-end road with no way out. It would be very easy to get caught, and locals know I'd take a dim view of thievery! :P :lol: Maybe folks are just scared they'll get caught driving out with something! LOL

Population level & crowding has something to do with theft & trouble, too. Most areas cited on here have far more people around than our 4100.

We had that hunting-from-the-public-right-of-way problem here in Tyrrell County too, but some of us put a stop to it after years of abuse. I was heavily involved in the process (publicly) ... we addressed the commissioners, collected petitions, made our case ... and after a long process of public hearings (pretty hot, too! :P :P ) and legislation, hunting from the road was banned here! We didn't know whether we'd get it done or not, but in the end, hard facts, truth, reason, decency and legitimate process won the day. Of course, some of it still goes on, but at least it's illegal now and those of us who suffer the consequences of it have legal recourse.

As a funny note, the road-hunting opposition "shot themselves in the foot" while collecting their petitions, because they signed up babies, out-of-staters, dead folks, tourists and little kids, while all of our signers were resident registered county voters, who gave addresses and phone numbers.

Road hunting should be stopped in Beaufort County too ... why don't you fan the fire and get the ball rolling?

Good luck! :D
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

crazyfarmer wrote:ive had 2 hang on stands stolen since ive been hunting.. usually its someone you know
Been several years, but I used to hunt a farm where stuff left out had a habit of disappearing. I had a very good idea of who was taking it (all he ever got of mine was a folding stool), since this same person did furnace repair & installation and had bragged to me - "I just don't feel right if I don't steal something from every house I work at." :roll:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: ... this same person did furnace repair & installation and had bragged to me - "I just don't feel right if I don't steal something from every house I work at." :roll:
I had an insulation crew steal an expensive double-lockset while my house was being built. It was there on a bucket when they came, and it was gone when they left! :? :?: :evil:

Weird, huh? :!: :? :?:
Grizz
chadermaran

Post by chadermaran »

This past November I stopped at a small stream close to where I hunt. I walked down to the falls and sat down for awhile. Its a good place to do lots of thinking. It was close to dark and I was on my way down to my parents to drop off some hunting stuff at the camp. When I came back up to the car my window was busted out. My longbow, arrows, laptop, hunting bag full of my hunting gear, GPS off the dash, and my 30-06 with leupold scope were all gone. It really pisses me off that people dont leave other peoples things alone.