20 guage choices

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

20 guage choices

Post by ecoaster »

I've been looking around for a new 20g for upland hunting.

Does anyone have any experience with the Franchi semi autos? They have a nice weight and fit me well, but I don't know alot about this brand.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
maxman

Re: 20 guage choices

Post by maxman »

I think they are part of Benelli and you cant go wrong there
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Well made, they come up nice, keep it clean and your good to go.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I bought Tyler the I-12 last year and he loves it. He dove hunted with it and it performed flawlessly. Great choice in my opinion.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like Jackie Brown's short barreled models for upland hunting, but a custom fowler (.62 cal smoothbore flintlock) isn't for everyone.
http://www.jackiebrownmuzzleloaders.com/default.aspx
wabi
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Wabi,

Did they just thaw you out? Do you know what year it is??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Boo

Post by Boo »

For upland game I would always take an O/U or a SBS over any other action.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bdog

Post by bdog »

I'm shooting a Browning Citori O/U 20g.real nice to carry for pheasants or I'll take my Ithaca 20g. model 200 SxS,both nice and light never fail,and they fit real good,the Franchi is a good gun, a little heavier I believe,I don't think you'll go wrong with it
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I have a Franchi Renaissance 20 ga o/u and love it. Nice and light at 6.2 pounds (verified on digital scale). Shoots awesome. If you'd like to try it let me know and you can come to London and give it a whirl on some clay pigeons. I also have a Mosseberg Silver Reserve 20 ga o/u and a Remington 870 20 ga. pump.

Sorry I don't know anything specifically about the Franchi semis but if they are anything like the o/u's I highly recommend them.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
wabi

Post by wabi »

ecoaster wrote:Wabi,

Did they just thaw you out? Do you know what year it is??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep,
I know the year, but there are many times I'd like to go back several of them. :lol:

Actually a muzzleloader isn't that huge of a disadvantage. They are slower to load, but can come very close to modern guns in performance, plus load selection is always available. No need to carry a variety of shells, just pour a little more/less powder & shot down the bore if hunting conditions aren't what you were prepared for.
wabi
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've never shot a Franchi semi-auto but I've only heard good things about them.
If you're looking for an upland gun there are a few things to consider. First of all you will likely carry the gun a lot more than you will shoot it so weight should be a big consideration. A gun may feel okay when you first pick it up but will you be able to get off a quick shot after you've carried it for several hours in the field? A 20ga. is often a good choice for an upland gun because if the receiver/frame is scaled to the gauge you will have a much lighter gun than the same model in 12ga.. Also if you're hunting upland birds shooting more than a 1 oz. load is a waste of lead. 7/8 oz. is usually more than enough especially if you're hunting over pointing dogs.
Another consideration is the over-all length of the gun. For pheasant in an open field gun length doesn't matter much but if you're chasing grouse in thick cover you'll appreciate a shorter gun. This is one reason double guns are so popular in the uplands. They are typically several inches shorter than an average pump or semi.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger