STS substitute?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

osage

STS substitute?

Post by osage »

Is there any substitute for an STS (and it's copy)...$50 is a lot if there is way to adapt some other string-stopper to an Exal. Horton's cable stopper is cheaper for example. Any one use an alternative to the STS?
Pydpiper

Re: STS substitute?

Post by Pydpiper »

There are lots of guys who have made their own, it isn't complicated.
We had a member here who made an awesome substitute, it was significantly better than the
"STS" brand, with the added bonus of keeping our money on the forum, it isn't available anymore though.
If you can locate some rubber you can probably bend up your own arms, the rubber on the STS isn't the best, but it will work if you can't find something better. There are many, many versions of string stoppers out there to adapt, make sure you keep us posted on what you come up with!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bearclan

Post by bearclan »

would be nice if over head quiver mount guys would incorporate a string stopper mount into the vertical posts of their mounts? and addsome antler mount brackets and maybe a soft drink mount and a wind direction flag mount and a compass mount....... :p
09 Exocet 200
Vortex Crossbow scope
D- lux Munch mount
Big John's Custom Arrows
STS
Big John

Post by Big John »

For $50.00 I dont think you can go wrong. And as far as the rubbers go, I've had a set on an Exomax for over 400 shots, and still using them, probably this season as well. :wink: I've heard of some having problems with rubbers, but I think it was with placement of rods mostly. I have yet to blow a rubber bumper on any of my Excals. People have used all kinds of home made contraptions, they all worked somewhat. And some just pay the $50.00 bucks and have a warranty, and put them to good use. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

do a search on here ..there are a few ideas on this board
Boo

Post by Boo »

John wrote:For $50.00 I dont think you can go wrong. And as far as the rubbers go, I've had a set on an Exomax for over 400 shots, and still using them, probably this season as well. :wink: I've heard of some having problems with rubbers, but I think it was with placement of rods mostly. I have yet to blow a rubber bumper on any of my Excals. People have used all kinds of home made contraptions, they all worked somewhat. And some just pay the $50.00 bucks and have a warranty, and put them to good use. :)
I agree with John. If you choose to do it yourself you can use an "L" bracket and some split limb savers. It's not as slick as the real thing but works well.
As far as the longevity goes I have a set on my Vortex that has several hundred shots with no blemishes.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

Here is what I use, make them myself, really pretty easy and work VERY well. Have over 4,000 shots on my Vortex, and almost that many on my 5 week old Apex. I won't shoot without them. These are fully adjustable to boot. Cost is under $25.
Attachments
Ibex with accessories 006.jpg
Ibex with accessories 006.jpg (107.8 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

If you have an older bow I dont think the store bought stoppers will work at least they didnt on my old exocet as the holes didnt line up to allow mounting the machined brackets. After looking at both the STS and the NGSS and playing with them it would be really easy for anyone to make their own. I am making one up now for the older bow. The round shafts and the rubber stoppers are readily available so the only thing you have to get creative with are the mounting blocks on the riser.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have often wondered what would happen if you made the "blocks" out of a good hardwood, I think the wood would add a noticeable difference as a buffer between the pads and riser.
Especially if that wood was made to match a custom stock! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I know where you been :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I think the wood (and it would really have to be a very dense wood) would contribute to sound deadening and not transmit as much sound into the riser as metal but I think the trade off would not be enough to make it feasible as the wood mounts would be taking a hell of a punch with every shot. I am going to go the route that undertaker took with his bow and isolate the mounts from the riser via a piece of rubber inner tube and create a rubber gasket.
osage

Post by osage »

Vaguru, your set-up looks good. What exactly did you do there? I have a brown Vixen with square limb tips, so I'm guessing the riser is not the older style. Any photos of other approaches would be helpful too.
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

The bracket is 1/8" X 3/4" aluminum bent 90*. The long leg that goes under the riser is 2", and the short leg for the pad is 1". Both have a 1/4" hole drilled centered near the end and radiused. A 1" elevator bolt is purchased from a good hardware store, along with 2 nylok nuts and 2 1/4-20 nuts for the elevator bolt. I glue rubber to the inside of the long leg to isolate from the riser. The legs are attached using a 1/4-20 x 1 1/2" button head with a nylok nut. I use a nylon washer between the button head and the riser. Since the hole in the riser is larger than the bolt, I use either a nylon bushing, or just wrap the bolt with electrical tape until you get a tight fit.

Once the bracket is made and fitted, elevator bolt installed, I attach a Limsaver to the elevator bolt. Adjust for your desired brace height, and enjoy. I really like the recurve sized limbsavers, but have also used the standard size. Once you have all the needed materials, they can be produced in less than an hour. The Limbsavers are the most expensive part, but total price is under $25 even if you have to buy a piece of aluminum flat stock at the hardware.

When I first saw this STS, I knew I wanted them. None of my Excals have ever been fired without one.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

carvedtip wrote:I am making one up now for the older bow. The round shafts and the rubber stoppers are readily available so the only thing you have to get creative with are the mounting blocks on the riser.
Hey Carved Tip,

When you're ready, please share with the rest of us who shoot the older bows. :)

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount