Wraps - Fluorescent or Reflective

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phoenix_Tom

Wraps - Fluorescent or Reflective

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I've got a decision to make but I'd like to get some feedback from you fine folks.

I want arrows that I can find easily on the ground in the fall.

I leaned towards fluorescent yellow / green / orange vanes in the past but I occasionally still have trouble finding them in the fall leaves in broad daylight. Then Pydpiper comes along and illuminates us (pun intended) on the marvels of UV lights. One of these days I'll get around to ordering a UV flashlight online because I've been looking around in the stores here for months and can't find one.

The question now is should I use fluorescent wraps or reflective? If I already have fluorescent vanes should I try to change things up a little and use retro reflective wraps? That way, I'm thinking I'll be doubling my odds of finding an arrow in the dark using 2 different light spectrums. Or, are fluorescent wraps and vanes going to be impoosible to miss if I have a decent UV flashlight?

Are fluorescent vanes and wraps "too much fluorescent" in the quiver while hunting deer? I want to be able to find arrows - not stand out in the woods like a sore thumb to any passing deer.

Lastly, would using Luminoks be considered overkill on these fluorescent and possible reflective arrows?

What say ye?
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
one shot scott

Re: Wraps - Fluorescent or Reflective

Post by one shot scott »

I personally lean towards florescent. I try not to even wear a watch while hunting for fear of casting an unusual glint of light towards the deer. And with pyds idea, and the uv light Laura gave me I have been able to find arrows that have been missing for months. :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

fluorescent is what I use... i just dont want the sun reflecting off wraps while im in stand :lol:
Cyclonic

Post by Cyclonic »

I like solid white wraps with white fletching. Very easy to see in flight, very easy to find, and see blood on. Before you say they will alert deer to your position, I have to say there is a lot of white in the woods already. Just look around.
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

white wraps wont alert deer btw:-P Ive never had issues with white :D
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Cyclonic wrote:I like solid white wraps with white fletching. Very easy to see in flight, very easy to find, and see blood on. Before you say they will alert deer to your position, I have to say there is a lot of white in the woods already. Just look around.
Haha. There's lots of "white in the woods" for sure for us northerners later in the season! Some would say "too much white!". I like a white vane for blood indication but all white fletching and wrap is arguably too much white for those of us hunting in the snow.

Thanks for the input guys.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s