STS Schock Suppressors broke my fast flight string!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Re: STS Schock Suppressors broke my fast flight string!

Post by Dereck »

Are those "STS" or made by someone they seem very small at the riser.
I would leave a gap so the string has to go past rest position to make contact.
I use a set made not the original STS and have had no problems knock on wood hope it stays that way.
I have even made a set myself out of dylex plastic and they worked very well but they went with the Vortex I sold
Tenpoint Matrix
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Awshucks, I'm from Perú and I order the STS Bumpers from BowHunter Superstore.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The 'Payru' Richard Pryor claimed to have snorted half of? :mrgreen: Wow, good for you! Pretty country, always wanted to go there someday. Guess that answers the original equipment question, had gotten a pm saying they are a new style. Rules out the cheap strings too, lol. Sorry.

Anyone got some of both? Are the newer ones firmer than the originals?
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Whoa!!!!!! Why is that string that broke not bundles twisted ? Flemish twist braid they don't run 2 bundles paralell. Sumpin ain't right here wid that string !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey i ain't fer sure about this but why for have those D Bars on with no pads ? Take them off run shorter limb bolt i reckon. The D Bars don't do nutten fer yer Bow widout the pads!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

I had to take off the pads when the string broke.
michiganman

Post by michiganman »

you want to listen to some of these guys.boo knows strings
.normally you set the sts up with a credit card width between sts and string.also serving should be length of sts for strength.i had sts on my exocet,no problems with my boo strings.i had to cut my sts rods down for corect set up.
buy from either boo,or danny miller for your strings.good luck JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I doubt that your shock suppressors broke your string. I suspect your problem is with the string itself. If the string was sound, and the proper string for your bow, I would have expected to see damage to the suppressor FIRST before the string itself failed.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:I doubt that your shock suppressors broke your string. I suspect your problem is with the string itself. If the string was sound, and the proper string for your bow, I would have expected to see damage to the suppressor FIRST before the string itself failed.
Exactly! In fact if a string is going to break that is the weak spot, at the serving. Not only that but when I give instructions for string installation in my website is it not for my strings but for all strings. Specifically, I state install the string 3 or 4 string widths above the target brace height and let the string settle in by shooting it after the string sits idle over night. My strings sit on a jig under great tension for a few days so in reality you can shoot my strings right off the bat. Production strings are a different matter. They get twisted together and sent off. One bundle can be under more tension than the other. I believe that Danny Miller (Excalibur's String Maker) is now pre-stretching his strings. I have also made and sent him a large rack to handle multiple strings to be pre-stretched. But this does not negate the need for letting a string settle in. Next time you guys buy a string and look at it before installing and think about what I've written. It will make more sense.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Boo, I think you are right I talked to friend that is also a crossbow fan and he agreeded that it was probably two things that caused my string to break, one was that the string was making pressure into the bumppers and the other is the string itself. It seemed that I got the wrong string.
Anyway I have put my old Excel string and left a distance of a few milimeteres between the string and bumpers.
I`ll shot my Excal this saturday and I will see how it behaves.
Thanks for your comments.
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The bumpers in those pictures are not typical of the "STS", it would appear that that company has either decided to go with a better rubber or they just got sick of replacing all of their own after listening to the complaints that are starting to surface on the internet about their product.
The rubber in those pictures are the bumpers that were being supplied by our member here while he was making string suppressors. Hmmm, there is a word for that..
It is unfortunate to hear of the broken string, but on a better note it is good to see that the "STS" people are starting to listen to the complaints that people who actually use them are coming forward with.

If you need a factory string to replace the one that was damaged, just drop me a line and I will get one off to you.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bdog

Post by bdog »

The STS packaging calls it the new improved extreme dampening system (new 2007) with the new improved rubbers,just opened one up this morning from Wyvern
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
wabi

Post by wabi »

Couple questions -
How many shots does that Excel string have on it?
Is that a loose/broken strand by the serving?

Your serving looks badly worn in a couple places, and if that's a broken strand you may have other problems that need addressed.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bdog wrote:The STS packaging calls it the new improved extreme dampening system (new 2007) with the new improved rubbers,just opened one up this morning from Wyvern
Wyvern Creations would not steer you wrong, if they are new from him then you can expect that they are new from the company.
You will be happy with that rubber, it is very well suited for the task.
Can't say I agree with the whole "gap" thing being the problem though, that string is going 400+ MPH when it makes contact, I doubt an 1/8" in either direction is going to make a difference. While the bow is at rest I can understand why you wouldn't want the string to remain in contact, but in motion there can be little difference between bringing the string to a dead stop in a fraction of an inch in any direction.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Well wabi, this Excel String is relatively new, it came with my new set of limbs
(after a dry fire :oops: ) I must have used it in less than 40 shots. I replaced it not because it was damaged but because I got my new string (the one that broke up :x )
I don't know why that strand is like that but it isn't broken.
This saturday I'll check closely this string after each shot. If I see some damage in it I will stop practicing inmediately.