Good ole FEDEX

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Good ole FEDEX

Post by raydaughety »

Well to say that I was excited to see the FedEx truck pull up in the yard in an understatement. I knew that it had to be the European mount of the buck that I took in Texas. I could have died when I pulled the plaque from the box. The G-2 on the right side was half way gone. After searching through the packing material, we found 2 pieces of the broken antler but one small piece is still missing :twisted: . I called FedEx and they want to come back and pick it up, take it to their facility and do a "Damage Assessment Report" on it then return it to me. :? . They said that I cannot file a claim on it, the sender (taxidermist in Texas) has to file the claim and make the repairs. My local taxidermist said that he could repair it for $75-$100 but I don't know what to do. Would you guys let FedEx take it back and go through all of this again. I mean, what if they break another tine off :shock: :evil: . What should I do?

On a better note, my local taxidermist called Saturday and said that my big eight pointer mount was ready so we went and picked it up. He did a great job!!!!!! I'll add some pictures when we get him on the wall.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Re: Good ole FEDEX

Post by Boo »

Ray, I've always baulked at the amount of money to be paid for mounting anything. In fact I've only ever had a Pintail Duck mounted because they are so unusual and pretty. So I assume you paid a good dollar for something you wanted as a visual keepsake so I say get it repaired and forget it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'd jump thru the FEDEX hoops, have the sender fwd the damages check to you and apply that to local repair job.

Was the box it came to you in beat up any?
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

awshucks wrote:I'd jump thru the FEDEX hoops, have the sender fwd the damages check to you and apply that to local repair job.
X2
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Personally i would make Fedex make it right. You know what yer Antlers won't ever be right nor will they be repaired right. Not saying yer man can't repair but how do you fix it back as new !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

awshucks wrote:I'd jump thru the FEDEX hoops, have the sender fwd the damages check to you and apply that to local repair job.

Oh yea, the box has plenty of damage as you can see. They were kind enough to put a hole right thru the "FRAGILE" marking.

At least I got my "local" 8 pointer home and on the wall safe and sound. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd get in touch with the shipper and see what they're willing to do.
If they want to file a claim you'll probably have to let FEDEX have it back to access.

Just got a package from UPS today that was 4 days late & partially crushed. At least it was only an order of tea, so it's still good to use even if the cans are dented. :roll:
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

raydaughety wrote:

Oh yea, the box has plenty of damage as you can see. They were kind enough to put a hole right thru the "FRAGILE" marking.

At least I got my "local" 8 pointer home and on the wall safe and sound. :wink:
Looks very nice Ray! You must be proud! What does something like that cost in your part of the world?
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My taxidermist quoted me a price of $350 but only charged me $325 when I picked him up because I had sent a friend to him for a mount. I'm going to call the FedEx regional fella again tomorrow and see about filing a claim with them taking possession of the mount. We have a FedEx depot right down the road so I'm hoping that I can take it there and have them inspect the damage and file the claim. If it doesn't pan out I'll lick my wounds and pay to get it fixed. I'm with you Don, I just want it over.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

Good price for a good mount! Looks very nice Ray!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Looks good Ray, glad you decided to mount him. Also, my taxidermist has fixed broken tines and you couldn't tell the difference.

Rich
weezy

Post by weezy »

Very nice mount!To bad about the other mount,hopefully they will make things right.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

That REALLY sucks. This is always a problem with shipping mounts. Most likely FedEx is going to say "Insuffient Packaging". In most cases gets them out of paying for anything. The 1 I would blame is the shipper. I work in a shipping dept. The packing job wasn't done to well for that damage to happen. The damage to the box looks as it was cause by the rack itself. The shipper prob should of used a MUCH larger box, pacxking to mount so NO movement would accure and wrapped each tine in bubble wrap.. SHOULDA COULDA WOULDA doesnt change to fact it's damaged.

I hope all works out well. Have your local guy do the repairs. Atleast then you are in control of the mount getting from point A to B.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Thanks guys. I am glad that I had the big 8 mounted. That deer will always be special to me for many reasons. The Texas buck that I had the European mount done on ( the broken one ) is special as well and I'll get it fixed and displayed with pride. Just as Scott (Saxman) did, I had the best year of my life as far as the size of the bucks that I killed. I know that Scott is just as proud of the 8 pointer that he got and he should be, it's a great deer. I hunted a long time to get one that nice but you know, my heart and mind is are filled with wonderful memories that Tyler and I have shared in the outdoors together. Again, despite my injuries I'm a very blessed man :wink: .

Rich, the photos are a bit deceiving. The damage to the box is from the outside. The box was plenty big for a european mount and he had plenty of foam blocks and "peanuts packed in there pretty tight but you are right, I should have insisted that he wrap the antlers separately and individually with bubble wrap. I have since learned that foam pipe insulation and even rubber hose is often used to protect the antler tips during transit. Oh well, a lesson learned. I get it taken care of :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Meinrad

Post by Meinrad »

The FedEx should cover up the damages for your order. In fact, they should inspect the order before they ship it. You must file a complaint.
Last edited by Meinrad on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.