From CBN says Excals Riser wasn't lvl on his !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

From CBN says Excals Riser wasn't lvl on his !

Post by vixenmaster »

PB26
Member Join Date: Jan 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to have to pick up one of the levels that attach to the scope. I placed a Spigarelli level on the deck, and when I set it to level, the Excalibur level on the riser was more than a bubble out, meaning that the riser area where the level is installed in not perfectly level to the deck. Just a heads up.

At least with the one that attaches to the scope you can tighten it down after adjusting it to match a level placed on the deck.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Re: From CBN says Excals Riser wasn't lvl on his !

Post by vixenmaster »

My take on this is that he is saying the Excal riser isn't flat compared to the rail deck. I have no way of knowing if that is true. Maybe it could be one of the 2 lvl's isn't right ? Anyone else know whats going on with this CB & lvl & riser ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It could just need to be taken apart, cleaned and then put back together.

He needs to contact Peter.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bdog

Post by bdog »

If it was that far off,don't you think you would notice it just by looking at it ?
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote:It could just need to be taken apart, cleaned and then put back together.

He needs to contact Peter.
You're probably right Scott. I know you guys look at your bows all the time but have you ever noticed that the arrow does not touch the riser and regardless of the attitude of the string from the limbs the deck dictates the where the string pushes the arrow? So the question begs, why level the riser rather than the rail? I think the concern is ill founded. I think that to do it precisely you would use a level and adjust your scope by rotating it to accommodate the verticle drop of the arrow at long distances.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

They be talking same trash on AT site, saying several had to ship their risers back to get new ones! I done looked at both of mine don't look like thar be no up hill slant where the pin or lvl screws down !
Half Bubble Off BD360

Boo

Post by Boo »

vixenmaster wrote:They be talking same trash on AT site, saying several had to ship their risers back to get new ones! I done looked at both of mine don't look like thar be no up hill slant where the pin or lvl screws down !
Like we care what they said? :roll:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

They shouldn't disbarge Excal on those forums. If'en thar be a problem they should get ahold of Dan Miller or Peter at factory.
Half Bubble Off BD360

longshot44

Post by longshot44 »

Probably posted by the marketing guy for Maximus bows .....
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Lol, much ado about nothing, imho. Here's why. When I got my 1st Excal and then my first computer and learned about installing levels on the xbows, I was gifted one by Gary L on here. It was however, not a factory Excal level, but rather one w/ only one mounting hole vs two on Excals.

I knew I could file a relief in bottom of level and finish off the shoulder w/ a triangular file to match one edge of the dovetail on riser. No problemo took me about 20 minutes and another ten to spot the hole onto dovetail and drill and tap the riser. You would think that would have been it.

It wasn't. It took me close to two hours to get that level to match one across the rail. I was fighting a .002-.003" difference in side to side measurements on over all height w/ dial calipers. Alas, the proverbial half bubble off was the problem I faced.

In the end, it wasn't a totally precise deal as I didn't match level to the limbs, just the rail. In actuality, again imho, it's close enough as long as you have the level the same every shot. The early model risers had threaded holes for a dovetail plate that match the holes in their levels, the current risers have machined dovetails in stead, so one either uses Excals current method of carpet tape to attach a level or you drill and tap the layout on the riser.

That Emax lives w/ a forum member, he may have left it on or not, perhaps he'll chime in, he's got a "one off".
"Eze 18:21"
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Just out of curiosity, I checked both my Exomag and Exocet 175. I'm happy to say that neither of them suffers from any level problems. The rail is level to the riser, which in turn is level with the limbs on both of them.

Am I just fortunate, or is it due to the fact that both of my crossbows sport a straight riser with the drilled and tapped holes instead of the dovetailed and angled riser?

Could it be that the older style straight riser provides a better fit with the rail. I don't know and can't say that for a fact. However, I do know, and can say, that even though my Phoenix, Vortex, and Exomax (all of which I got rid of) were very accurate, I could never get them to be quite as accurate and precise as my two older current Excaliburs.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.