shot thru mesh question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

shot thru mesh question

Post by gogo »

I plan on making a few ground blinds out of hay bails and will have a few shooting windows in it. I would like to cover the windows with shoot thru mesh and would like to know if the mesh has to be real tight against the blind. I'm guessing loose would be no good for shooting thru is that correct.
saxman

Re: shot thru mesh question

Post by saxman »

I would think tight would be better.
Just make sure you use a cut on contact broadhead.
No Mech's or hybrids
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Tom

Post by Tom »

saxman wrote:I would think tight would be better.
No Mech's or hybrids
That is not quite true. I have tested NAP Spitfire mechanicals through screen windows and had no point of impact change nor did they open early. It was like there was no screen with the arrow performance. BTW, my tests were with firm screen, not real tight nor loose.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Tom wrote:
No Mech's or hybrids
That is not quite true. I have tested NAP Spitfire mechanicals through screen windows and had no point of impact change nor did they open early. It was like there was no screen with the arrow performance. BTW, my tests were with firm screen, not real tight nor loose.

Good luck.
Interesting. Were thos the older pointy Spitfires or the newer cut on contact Spitfires?
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
secret

Post by secret »

I own a double bull matrix blind...it says no "l' shape blades] through mesh...open on impact. my friend tried gobbler getters out of my blind ...they opened ..shoot fixed no change POI. if you wear black......you wont need screen[mesh] they cant see you. i leave my window completely open for turkeys... only for deer i use the mesh.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
saxman

Post by saxman »

My response comes from Ameristeps customer service
when I shot a hog last season with the hybrid NAP Bloodrunner there was no change in POI but most definately a diff in KE
I no longer use the mesh at all
I wear ALL black and have not been busted yet
different strokes for different folks but I won't be risking it
good luck
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Tom

Post by Tom »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:
Tom wrote:
No Mech's or hybrids

Good luck.
Interesting. Were thos the older pointy Spitfires or the newer cut on contact Spitfires?
These were the (now older version heads) of original NAP Spit Fire heads and not the cut on impact heads. THey were also not the gobblegetter heads where are more blunt. Mine had sharpe points with different angles for relief. I am not sure if the head lost much KE but they still burried into my target.

To be honest, my tests surprised me a lot. I figured that the mechanical aspects of the head would cause some sort of impact change. But with 7 shots at 20 yards all hit the target dead on and the paper target on the target (mechanical paper test) showed that there was no opening up of the head before it hit the target. I figured that after 7 shots with the same results, I did not need to test further.

To further all of this, when turkey hunting, my screens are open (unless bad weather for a little protection) when I am in my blind. I have had turkeys actually standing outside with their head inside looking around, probually trying to figure out why that fat Tom with a beard was sitting in a chair inside (so the lack of screen does not bother me). When ever possible I will not shoot through a screen, but if I have too, I know for me there will be no problem with my setup so I will take it.

Hope this helps others.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Thanks for getting back to us on that. I've been meaning to try some shots on paper from the GB mesh but haven't had a chance to yet. I just drop the mesh when I'm hunting. It's nice to know I can shoot the Spitfires through the mesh if I really had to.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s