Trigger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

casper

Trigger

Post by casper »

How long does it take for the trigger to settle in. Mine has about 1/4 in. of travel, I know that won't go away but it drags the whole way. The pull weight is OK, but it's not a smooth sweet trigger it could be. I'm used to light weight,zero creep,no over travel. Just surprised when I got it how different it felt. Are there any tricks with out voiding the warrenty, to help make it a better feeling trigger?
lscha

Re: Trigger

Post by lscha »

Talk to Dan Miller. He made both of my triggers smooth and light the way I like them.
740-483-2312
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

hi my vortex sounds like yours l dont wont to pull it down myself but l will try honing the claws that hold the string when the bow is cocked with a lite sand paper to see if thats helps as l've been advised to do because of serving wear but also like its grabing but l'll be watching your add for the right advice on what to do. good luck ah
Last edited by blackjack on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Like Ischa, Danny Miller worked his magic on my Vixens trigger – light, crisp and a noticeable improvement.

Since Danny is the Excalibur U.S. warranty repair center, by Danny doing the work on my trigger, I have not voided my "no-questions-asked" Excalibur warranty.
casper

Post by casper »

Talked to Dan Miller today, he said he won't mess with the creep, so i guess I'm stuck with it this way. :(
wabi

Post by wabi »

My Exocet trigger was terrible when I first got it. I was used to my Vixen's light weight, smooth, no creep pull.
I took WD-40, soaked the trigger/claw area, and then blew it out with compressed air (a couple of times). The trigger was greatly improved!
I'm guessing it had dust & dirt in it.

If you try this be sure not to let WD-40 stay on your stock too long! It's possible it could damage the finish. :wink:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you also have to keep in mind its a bow and not a rifle :lol:

I have my slug gun and ml'er set for about 3.5 pounds of pull... I likea touch trigger also, but for the crossbow, I dont want to touchy of one
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Wabi is right there is alot of the time just a little grit inside the trigger that needs flushed out . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
liaf

Post by liaf »

My phoenix has a super smooth trigger and it was my first bow. I then bought a Vortex and noticed a definite difference in the trigger as you have explained. I believe that I had read somewhere that even though the triggers are the same in each model the Thumbhole triggers "act" differently. I am curious which bow you own.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
casper

Post by casper »

My bow is an Equinox. Talked to Dan Miller, and he told me because it was a thumb hole stock & 225 lbs. it was the worst ones for triggers. So much for buying the FLAG SHIP model. :roll:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

They're all 'flag ship' models, you just got a battleship instead of a cruiser. :mrgreen: Shoot the heck out of it, the trigger will get better w/ use, imo.

My 1st Excal was the Emax, great bow, just found the 200# models a little more user friendly. Now, I shoot the Vixen more than my Y-25.
"Eze 18:21"
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The thumbhole stock models are 1' shorter in length but the LOP on them is only 1/2" shorter. To achieve the 1/2" difference, the angle and length of the trigger had to be increased. As such one will find that, in more cases than not, the triggers on them tend to have more creep and be less crisp in comparison to the ones on the traditional stocks.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

I was/am disappointed with the trigger on my Ibex as well. It seems to have a lot of travel and 1-2 "sticking" points (for lack of a better term) within that travel. I HOPE it gets better with use.
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I believe that you expect the trigger pull on that 225 lbs CB to function like a rifle trigger. Just because it looks like a trigger on a gun doesn't mean it'll pull like one. There's a lot of force pushing against it in comparison to a firing pin on a gun. New crossbows do take a bit of time to "break in", but they'll never be totally "crisp" like a rifle, shotgun or M/L trigger. Like folks have said here...check to be sure that you don't have any metal filings, dust or grime in the trigger mechanism is the place to start. Then....just shoot it for a while and let it break in.
casper

Post by casper »

Danny Miller it is. :D
Last edited by casper on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.