Foot Stirup Problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

weezy

Foot Stirup Problem

Post by weezy »

Today I decided Iwas going to take my Phoenix apart to clean it real good because I havent done it since ive owned it.Took the riser off the stock no problem.Went to take the foot stirup off and got the first bolt out fine,but when I went to take the second one out it was way to tight.I couldnt even budge it.And to top it off whoever put it together at my archery shop halfways stripped the bolt :evil: .I cant figure out how to get it out.I dont have to have it out but it drives me nuts knowing I cant get it out.Any ideas?
NewGuy

Re: Foot Stirup Problem

Post by NewGuy »

If you have a dremel and cutoff wheel, you can grind a slot in it and use a slot screwdriver to get a better turn on it.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I can understand how it could drive you nuts, but before it gets stripped out more, I would apply some penetrating fluid (wd-40) to it and forget about it for a while and then try.

If the bolt is seized into the riser then you can apply heat, maybe with a soldering iron to the heat of the bolt. Stay away from flames, I can imagine it would turn the bow ugly awefully fast :wink:

Or you can do what NG suggested, and cut the whole head off. and once the stirrups off turn the bolt out with vise-grips.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
weezy

Post by weezy »

I put wd 40 on it..The one that came out was alittle tight but not bad at all..
I may have to cut the bolt head off.I tried heat already and that didnt work.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I think I would leave it alone there is not much to gain by getting it off.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

See if you can find a pen oil product named 'Kroil", almost would guarantee it does the trick, most amazing stuff I've found. Got the exhaust nuts off my BMW like nobodies business!
"Eze 18:21"
weezy

Post by weezy »

I made sure not to strip it out anymore than it already is but something is sure going to have to loosen it up a lot more for me to be able to have a chance of getting it out.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I'm not saying to cut the head off, just put a slot in it like a flat head screw then use the biggest screwdriver you have.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
weezy

Post by weezy »

Okay..Ill try the kroil first..then if that dosent work ill have to cut a slot out.
bearclan

Post by bearclan »

i like to use a Torx bit- a little bigger than the stripped out hex hole- drive it in with a hammer-this will help crack the threads and prevent damage to your components by cutting or grinding
09 Exocet 200
Vortex Crossbow scope
D- lux Munch mount
Big John's Custom Arrows
STS
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

How do you know its stripped.?
weezy

Post by weezy »

Because the right size head fits but its loose and the next size up head doesnt fit...and you can see the inside edges have been rounded by over tightning it.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

When I have a stuck one, I get a friend, a good center punch and a hammer.
Find a place where you can make a good dimple in the bolt that you can hit easily with the hammer. Then put your allen wrench in and keep a hard steady pressure on the bolt and hit the center punch in the same direction that loosens the bolt. Hit it hard and it will pop free. Works 99% of the time. If the allen is too loose to do this I dremel a slot in it so i can use a big screwdriver sideways and then rap it with the punch. Bolts are cheap.
Hope this helps, Stosh
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bearclan's idea works as does a commercial extractor tool I sometimes use a large flat punch to flatten the outer surface of the head creating a smaller hex opening then going at it with an allen wrench. If all else fails the very best way will be to access a mig welder and weld a blob on top of the pan head bolt (which will also heat the threads) and grab the blob right away with vice grips and back out the bolt.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
weezy

Post by weezy »

I tried kroil..(I have 2-3 on hand becasue it comes in handy)..no luck...I dont have a dremel but know someone who does..I didnt think it would be this difficult to get one dang bolt out.Im just going to leave it as it is.I really dont need it out for any reason.It did bug me at first but no so much now for some reason.Thanks for all the tips :)