why hate coyotes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

evaughan

Re: why hate coyotes

Post by evaughan »

I have never posted on this forum before but have always been impressed by the balanced, intelligent approach of the members here and their desire for quality information. Below is a link to an article posted on the QDMA website which basically outlines their postion on the relationship between quality deer management and coyotes. If you enjoy articles on ecology it is worth the read whether you agree withthe conclusion or not.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=59

It is worth noting that the recent surge in coyote attacks may be bringing to light a need for aggressive coyote management which is seperate issue form whether or not coyote pops should be managed for the benefit if deer.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

evaughan wrote:I have never posted on this forum before but have always been impressed by the balanced, intelligent approach of the members here and their desire for quality information. Below is a link to an article posted on the QDMA website which basically outlines their postion on the relationship between quality deer management and coyotes. If you enjoy articles on ecology it is worth the read whether you agree withthe conclusion or not.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=59

It is worth noting that the recent surge in coyote attacks may be bringing to light a need for aggressive coyote management which is seperate issue form whether or not coyote pops should be managed for the benefit if deer.

Terrific first post, welcome aboard.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

these are coyote tracks to the deer we had to leave out overnight in the bush last year ....i hated coyotes that day . for sure ....but they were just doing what they are supposed to do ...

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I live in the Heart of Florida, near Gainesville. Bought a home that sits back against hundreds and hundreds of acres of planted pine forest. We fell in love with the dump the first night we stayed here, because the wild animals were everywhere back in there. A spot light would reveal rabbits and deer and even a pair of foxes that would cruise by. There were a bunch of feral cats around, too. I was thinking about what to do about that little problem, but never had to deal with it- because now they are all gone. We see rabbits every now and again, and we haven't seen the foxes or any deer in a long time.

Something has changed.....

We have been hearing the coyotes howling at dusk. Sounds like a family of them. The dirt roads that cut through the woods are full of 'dog' tracks. Except now I know them ain't dogs.

My woman wanted some dogs, so now we have a schnauser puppy and an airedale puppy. A few weeks back the schnauser escaped the fencing and was in the front yard. I walked the fence and saw where the wire fence had been pulled and a hole openned, and he found that hole and slid through. The wire had been pulled from the outside.

If the coyotes are intent on obtaining schnauser sausages, and they get the little yapper, God help them coyotes, cause I am going to help myself. I could get the whole pack in a single day, and that is exactly what I would do.

Now I understand killing for the sake of just killing isn't right. I also understand that the wild things back in there are not mine. And maybe my strand in the spider's web doesn't glint as pretty as some others, but it is my strand, and I will manage it- my way.

She wants chickens, too. But I told her no because I fear it would lure them up to the yard looking for stuff. I keep my garbage in a animal proof container, and I don't let her throw old food out back for the birds. Instead I buy bags of sunflower seeds and cracked corn for her to sling out when she feels generous.

I can respect a man's desire to "control" the coyotes around his dump, and I agree with that. Yes opinions differ, and that's a good thing most times. But coyote hunters can be just as responsible in being stewards of the land as non-coyote hunters.

Here they are...... fearless when in Daddy's arms.

BTW- Meet my closest neighbor. He was released Christmas day and was declared by the state to be a sexual predator ( as in he is gonna do it again, not maybe do it ). Coyotes aren't the only predators out there that cause concern.

She was scared at first, but now she can shoot pretty well. :mrgreen:

We all have things to be responsible about, now don't we. I'm down here doing my little part.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

This came thru on my Email yesterday. Had to clean up o word or two!

THE COYOTE PROBLEM

The Sierra Club and the U.S. Forest Service were presenting an alternative to a group of Wyoming ranchers for controlling the coyote population.It seems that after years of the ranchers using the tried and true methods of shooting or trapping the predators, these two groups were offering a 'more humane' solution.

What they proposed was for the animals to be captured alive, the males would then be castrated and turned loose again. Thus the population would be
controlled.No kidding, this was actually proposed to the Wyoming Wool and Sheep Grower's Association by the Sierra Club and the U.S.F.S The ranchers listened to the presentation and then sat there in a sort of dumb-found silence, trying to make sense of the amazing proposal they had just
heard.

Finally, an old boy in the back stood up, tipped his hat back and said, 'Son, Idon't think you understand our problem: Those coyotes ain't mating' our sheep - they're eatin' 'em!'
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

A group i know around EMBRO ont as of today will have shot over 50 yotes this winter one thing they notice is no rabbit tracks,they do not belng in sw ont.